• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to the Biz and Very lost

511graphix

WOW!! I'am really sometimes scared in asking any questions on here. because of what you guy's might say..:rolleyes: as for the guy that started this thread you really, really, should of done your research on this before you started. it took me 2 years to figure what cutter I wanted and when I called to place my order. I ordered something better then what I was going to get, and spent about $700 more.... (even though it's a kitty cat like some on here want to call it) bought my computer to run my cutter a 1 1/2 yrs before that. now I've just built my new computer 4 years later. so I can get use to that. so I can get ready for a Printer so I can do wraps and things. even if I had the money I would still done my homework on things before I jump into something. that why I love this forum soooooooo much thanks guy's......:thumb:

Everyone....and I mean E A C H and E V E R Y O N E of you "old pros" had to start at the beginning, somewhere... with probably less than the top of the line equipment.

And we don't all aspire to be top of the line professional sign painters, (thank goodness! ;-) some of us just want to cut some vinyl. There are varying degrees in all fields.

jimmysigns

Everyone....and I mean E A C H and E V E R Y O N E of you "old pros" had to start at the beginning, somewhere... with probably less than the top of the line equipment.

And we don't all aspire to be top of the line professional sign painters, (thank goodness! ;-) some of us just want to cut some vinyl. There are varying degrees in all fields.

1- yup, mack brushes & some oneshot & a ton of practice.
2- I'ld rather paint then cut vinyl, anyday. it's much more rewarding.

weaselboogie

Self-taught. I've definitely put my time in. Anything I've learned, I've learned by trial and error, lots of trial and error , immitaded styles and techniques that I liked and made sense and have developed my own and have been told I'm very resourceful. I've got my hands in a lot of things and love to take on things I"ve never tried before by jumping in with both feet. I try to figure things out of my own before jumping on the net if I can't figure it out in 30 seconds.

So, yes everyone starts out as non-professionals. I didn't drop out of the womb with a pencil in hand. Some newbies are getting crap becasue they haven't put this time in, they don't know BASIC stuff, they're not resourceful, and they're lazy. The newbies that have had the greatest welcome were the ones that did their homework. In short, they have hard-earned knowledge.

OldPaint

No, its that no one wants to pay for the berating.
NOW YOURE STEPPIN OVER THE LINE...))))
i only BERATE those who ASK FOR IT)))))))))))))
lot of people on this board, HAVE CALLED ME.
i think if you ask them how i was to them....might give ya a whole different take...........
sincerity will get answers, STUPID GETS what it deserves))))))))
SPECIAL FX...when i started...1st REQUIREMENT WAS SOME TALENT!!!!! cant buy that))))
2nd, you needed "an old sign painter" to show some of the tricks....3rd EQUIPMENT, was expensive brushes, the right paint AND PRACTICE!!!! a lot of the ones doin this now HAVE NONE OF THE ABOVE!!!!

Fuzzbuster

OP

Then there are some of us WHO DO have experience and also use new technology to their advantage.

I`ve paid my dues painting corrugated trailers in 40 degree heat...
many years ago

Remember when the good 1 shot had lead!?

Fuzzbuster

Anyone can hit print

Try doing a specific color match on a f#!**d up Quark or Indesign file:cool:

when i started White was White :Big Laugh:Big Laugh:Big Laugh

Not so anymore

Techman

This is getting old.

Starting at the beginning is not the point. Starting in the middle is the point.
IT all has nothing to do with the equipemnt, its all about the attitdude.
Newbs who come here and ask respectful questions in a positive way get a great answer. On the other hand too many other noobs walk in and get a ration commensurate with their attitude.

The older pros as a beginner wouldn't dream of purchasing a load of expensive tools, walk into a shop or other learning center and proceed to demand answers from a seasoned journeyman on how to use the tools of the trade. A noob would earn his way to journeyman and the right to the next tool or step. He would be respectful of those who came before him. He would respect hard work. And he would respect the value of his knowledge.

Now we have noobs walk in with a fat checkbook, or thousands in equipment,, but in almost all cases have absolutely no idea of what they are doing,, demand that those experienced and well trained hand over that hard earned and expensive knowledge. The knowledge of the experienced is not an entitlement to a noob.

OR worse, the noob walks in conveying the attitude his local sign man is over charging him so he demands that we teach him how to use his shiny new casual use hobby machine to cut a professional out of the picture.

That attitude of entitlement is what seems to arouse the negative. Yes, even the seasoned pro's had to start somewhere. But they didn't start with a sense of entitlement. They did start with a sense of please share with me all you know.

Dave Drane

that's the best excuse for becoming a price gouger and industry destroyer I have heard so far.
:Coffee: