• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on vinyl for coroplast signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPP

Hello everyone -- new guy named Johnny here. I recently purchased a HP DesignJet 5000ps with UV inkheads/ink and was wondering what type of vinyl I can purchase to print directly on to, and then apply to Coroplast squares for signs. I was particularly looking for Vinyl that would be water resistant -- something that can be outdoors for a little.

Also, can I apply that same vinyl to wood for larger outdoor signs? And do I just slap it on an voila, or is there anything else I should do to it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking at making some signs for a few clients and need to be pointed in the right direction.

:thankyou:

Steve C.

Hi Johnny,
:Welcome:

Not sure about your printer, but UV should be fine outdoors...
call you local sign supply, they should give you direction.

EPP

Welcome to Signs 101...

Not sure I would use the terms "just slap it on and voila".... if you want serious answers to your question(s). Didn't the person who sold you the printer explain these things to you?

Pat -- no, he didn't. I purchased it at an auction. And I used "just slap it on and viola" as an expression. A jocular expression.

Flame

Welcome to the forums. A few questions for ya first.

1. First off, how on earth did you manage to buy a printer without knowing what it can do?

2. Do you have any experience in the sign field at all? Have you applied vinyl before?

3. Vinyl, unlike paper.... doesn't crumble in the rain. All vinyl is "weatherproof" in that sense, which leads to me to asking again... any sign experience?

4. The 5000 printer is designed for INDOOR prints, like POP, posters etv. Even WITH UV inks, you will not get reliable durability outdoors. So.... were you aware of this?

EPP

Welcome to the forums. A few questions for ya first.

1. First off, how on earth did you manage to buy a printer without knowing what it can do?

2. Do you have any experience in the sign field at all? Have you applied vinyl before?

3. Vinyl, unlike paper.... doesn't crumble in the rain. All vinyl is "weatherproof" in that sense, which leads to me to asking again... any sign experience?

4. The 5000 printer is designed for INDOOR prints, like POP, posters etv. Even WITH UV inks, you will not get reliable durability outdoors. So.... were you aware of this?

1.) With my American Express
2.) Yes (a little), and Yes (a few times)
3.) Yes -- side note: matte vinyl, if you apply water & pressure to it, will tear. A nice gloss vinyl will not.
4.) Yes, that's why I said outdoors for a little. Like today is a nice day, let me bring my sign outside.

Flame

1.) With my American Express
2.) Yes (a little), and Yes (a few times)
3.) Yes -- side note: matte vinyl, if you apply water & pressure to it, will tear. A nice gloss vinyl will not.
4.) Yes, that's why I said outdoors for a little. Like today is a nice day, let me bring my sign outside.

OMG.... :birthday:

All I can say is you got one helluva steep learning curve to handle. Let me say this though, if you want in the sign business, you bought the WRONG equipment.

And I'm still wondering what kind of matte vinyl will tear!?!?!?!?!? If it's truly vinyl water shouldn't affect it. :(

EPP

OMG.... :birthday:

All I can say is you got one helluva steep learning curve to handle. Let me say this though, if you want in the sign business, you bought the WRONG equipment.

And I'm still wondering what kind of matte vinyl will tear!?!?!?!?!? If it's truly vinyl water shouldn't affect it. :(

If you weren't going to answer my question please find something more productive to do with your time. If you can't, feel free to come over to my office. I can pay you by the hour for a foot massage.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Hi Johnny,
I think the "slap it on and viola" may have been a misstep (mistype). If you want to learn a profession, have a little respect for those of us already in it... just a thought.

Having said that you need to research a lot further on your own before you start printing. If your vinyl is ripping and tearing with a little pressure and water... well... it wasn't vinyl. It was some other type of printable media. The first thing you might want to do is to look at this. Sometimes you need to learn what you are asking before you know what to ask for. Not trying to knock you - I just don't think you have the experience you may think you have when it comes to making signs. What kind of background DO you have (other than an American Express - and that's a good thing... sign-making will suck the money right outta ya', so I'd keep that thing handy)?

This is the spec on your printer:
Create durable, lightfast indoor and outdoor prints with pigment-based HP No. 83 UV six-color ink system Image durability warranteed 24 months outdoor and five years indoor using HP Designjet 5000 Series UV Ink Supplies and 3MT Matched Component System

I myself wouldn't make that warranty - manufacturers like to blow smoke up your (you know where :smile:) Your outdoor prints will be a one-time use type of thing that will fade fairly quickly. This printer is more suited to indoor posters and the like.

But that's just my opinion. Good luck to you and I hope you have thick skin...

Flame

If you weren't going to answer my question please find something more productive to do with your time. If you can't, feel free to come over to my office. I can pay you by the hour for a foot massage.

I answered your question. You bought the wrong equipment, anything you produce for outdoor use will be subpar. Your Amex card just got you into a whole new world of headaches. lol.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know what EPP… I was seriously going to answer you….. until I saw your post #13.

That is no way to make and keep friends in any circle. You’re here less than 24 hours and you’re going to smart mouth someone that can help you and actually did, but you copped a frickin’ attitude and in my opinion… showed your real colors. Unless you change your name here or do something else to hide your identity, I wouldn’t help you for anything. Your nothing but a chump and I use the term loosely.

Don’t even offer me a job massaging your feet… you’re just full of great ideas…….

Here’s an idea for you….. keep your day job, cause it looks like a snowball’s chance in Hell that you’ll get much more help here.

Where in the world are these dipcraps coming from lately ?? And then there are those that think the noobs should be treated with kind open arms. Here's why, folks !!

:ROFLMAO:

Steve C.

Ya know what EPP… I was seriously going to answer you….. until I saw your post #13.

That is no way to make and keep friends in any circle. You’re here less than 24 hours and you’re going to smart mouth someone that can help you and actually did, but you copped a frickin’ attitude and in my opinion… showed your real colors. Unless you change your name here or do something else to hide your identity, I wouldn’t help you for anything. Your nothing but a chump and I use the term loosely.

Don’t even offer me a job massaging your feet… you’re just full of great ideas…….

Here’s an idea for you….. keep your day job, cause it looks like a snowball’s chance in Hell that you’ll get much more help here.

Where in the world are these dipcraps coming from lately ?? And then there are those that think the noobs should be treated with kind open arms. Here's why, folks !!

:ROFLMAO:

You may have a point, But I remind you of the reception Flame got when
he was new here....remember? And he's now one of the most respected
members... just sayin'.

Bigdawg

Just Me
members... just sayin'.

Thanks for saying that Steve... I had a flashback when I read this thread but with a role reversal.

EPP I urge you to read the post I made. Take a look through the encyclopedia link I posted and understand what the printer you bought can do. Learn the limitations and integrate it into whatever business you must already have to go with that AmEx. If you shared a little background with the class, then they might understand who you really are instead of how you are coming across.

I've been gone a while... not really been caught up. But I hate to see this on either side. A newbie pretty disrespectful of experienced members... and old-time members ripping the newbies a new one... You guys know me. I'm a peace, love and happiness kind of gal.

Can't we all just get along?

:loveya:

daveb

General Know-it-all
Big Dawg, I've wondered for quite some time how this forum has held itself together for so long. Little did I know that it takes a "Big Dawg" to keep all the little yelpers at bay:notworthy:, many thanks and may your reign be long and prosperous:toasting:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
members... just sayin'.

You said that, I didn't. Who ever said Flamey is respected ?? :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for saying that Steve... I had a flashback when I read this thread but with a role reversal.

EPP I urge you to read the post I made. Take a look through the encyclopedia link I posted and understand what the printer you bought can do. Learn the limitations and integrate it into whatever business you must already have to go with that AmEx. If you shared a little background with the class, then they might understand who you really are instead of how you are coming across.

I've been gone a while... not really been caught up. But I hate to see this on either side. A newbie pretty disrespectful of experienced members... and old-time members ripping the newbies a new one... You guys know me. I'm a peace, love and happiness kind of gal.

Can't we all just get along?

:loveya:

NOPE !!

The way I see it.... we can all get along in a perfect world, but how far must we go to find Shangrila ??

I'm not bashing this person, not in the least. Being a hippie has nothing to do with running a show here. You want the same anarchy that that cop has out in Portland ?? You want the same crap we get from our borders ?? Just turn your head and let the creeps take over ?? Hey, this person tried and I was about to help the sap until he he played Flamey for a fool. I don't care if it was Flamey, Colin or ddarlak... no one takes advantage of another.... and this poster has. He knows damn well he/she is in the wrong or they wouldn't have worded it the way they did. It was a well thought out response intended to hurt and no newbie has that right. Not at all. Sure we got our freedom of speech, but the brainwaves are still wrong and this person needs to know it.
Let him/her come back and apologize to Flamey and I'll take a moment to reconsider, but again, this site does not depend on what I say or think. However, I do think I have a right to at least speak my piece.
:unclesam:

Status
Not open for further replies.