• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Random thoughts for a kinder, gentler S101

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
What size shirt do you wear?
You have to lighten up - this will pass -it's the internet.

wayne k
guam usa

jkdbjj

What size shirt do you wear?
You have to lighten up - this will pass -it's the internet.

wayne k
guam usa
XL
So what's it like in Guam? tropical etc? Would you recommend a vacation there? I realize I can google it, and I may, but thought I would ask you.

ucmj22

OK, limited time only! I am Patrick Molitor, and thats me up there. I got out of the army and went to school for graphic design in 05 and have been signing since 07 <<<---- total newb here:)

Mosh

The AV pic is me and I have been going by "Mosh" since 1986 so... I guess I am on it. BTW... My name is Mosh and I am a recovering....AAHHh nevermind.... I do agree we need to be more friendly.

Great site, I have gotten ALOT of sources off it and good tech info. BUT, you all still want a "Mosh" story now and again don't you? The stuff I post is real, who could make up crap like that???

David Wright

I am not to sure it applies to this site as to a few other sites I visit that are not sign related.
I know it wouldn't be any way near as cruel if names and faces were used.

mikefine

I agree, Dan.

And I often wondered, since joining this forum,
why don't people use their real name?
Or their real business name? Or why some
even hide where they are located? (That I truly don't understand!)

When I joined, I used my real name because
frankly I was new to forums, and I didn't know any better.
But I felt I had nothing to hide, so I never changed it.

I don't know. Is there an advantage to remain anonymous
on a professional business to business forum?

ucmj22

I agree, Dan.

And I often wondered, since joining this forum, why don't people use their real name?
Or their real business name? Or why some even hide where they are located? (That I truly don't understand!)

When I joined, I used my real name because frankly I was new to forums, and I didn't know any better. But I felt I had nothing to hide, so I never changed it.

I don't know. Is there an advantage to remain anonymous?

for me, personally its the local competition. I dont like letting them know all of the things I dont know :)

J

john1

Great post, it's great to see so many taking the advice and changing their avatars also.

I do love this forum but it is harsh a lot and it does discourage you when people put you down. Sometimes we forget that we know so much and others are stilling learning as we were at one point. Without people learning, There would be no sign industry because we all aren't staying where we currently are forever so someone must learn the ropes and continue the business.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Great post Dan! More courtesy and respect would be a wonderful thing to see. There are, however, some very good reasons why requiring real names and pictures wouldn't be in the best interests of many of our members.

For openers, it would seriously impact on legitimate needs for anonymity such as stalking and competitors taking advantage of some members. We've had one member stalked and shot. He has since changed his user name. There have been several lesser stalkings reported as well. One popular member had his business and name defamed by a competitor who read his posts here. These incidents may be exceptions to the general rule but they are a serious enough threat that they trump any benefits this community might reap by requiring real names and faces.

Then there's the benefit of high traffic and activity. Not only does that attract advertisers ... but it also makes Signs 101 attractive to participate in. Start doing things that cut into traffic and before long Signs 101 is a ghost town and no one benefits.

There is no doubt that there is truth in the observation that some members leave because of disrespect that happens here. But that is often in the eye of the beholder. We had an old, old member leave here last week because I deleted a political thread he posted. He did this without any consideration for the friendships he had here nor the generous help he received from this community. So perceived disrespect comes in many forms. It is also true that generally allowing members to speak their minds is a heavy contributor to our popularity.

Also worth noting, we get a fair amount of complaints from new members as well as outright lying regarding the basic information we require on our registration form. There's also a fair amount of deletion of information from member profiles of non-displayed but editable information by members after they are approved. That to me demonstrates a widespread concern about internet privacy.

I submit that the level of courtesy and respect in any community is largely governed by peer group pressure and individual behavior. If members start responding to rudeness and undeserved disrespect by calling people out on it, it will be reduced. But if someone treats the community with deceit and disrespect, it's hard to fault members who react to that as well.

When I first took control of Signs 101, one of my first thoughts was to require real names. Rick suggested that I instead not jump too fast and to go with the flow. I still follow his advice and it has served us well.

So for those who would like to see a kinder, gentler Signs 101, I say don't sit silent when you encounter rudeness and disrespect. And avoid the piling on that all too often happens here as well. Lead or follow by example of how you would like to see others act.

round man

the ugly guy in my avatar is actually me and I designed and did the sign in the background at the track I worked at for a couple of decades or more among others,....my real name i prefer to keep in confidence amongst the few who have actually met and know here,..... like techman I use my alias of round man as a measure of personal security ,...I am actually blind in one eye and do a bit of hacking when the need arises,....hopefully my gruff attitude from 40 years of wall doggin' doesn't offend folks here,...

Bly

You're a fine man Dan, a real talent and great to work with.
Here I am - off duty - in Phnom Penh last year.
As you can see I am not an animal. :noway: I am a human being.
A juvenile one though, as my wife will confirm.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC00048.jpg
    DSC00048.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 109

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
oh do tell... it must have been before my time.

someone seriously got SHOT!!!! OMFG!@!! wtf?

did he/she live? why wasnt it addie?

No it wasn't but it was only known to those that member wanted it known to.

Have you considered that your continued comments with regards to Adtechia are part of what this thread is about?

ProWraps

No it wasn't but it was only known to those that member wanted it known to.

Have you considered that your continued comments with regards to Adtechia are part of what this thread is about?

WHA?

fred are we doing this thing again? the one where you exaggerate the truth about what im doing.

didnt we catch you in this same thing months ago? i dont know the thread but ill look it up.

i said one thing to addie. come on fred. your starting to worry me.