• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Random thoughts for a kinder, gentler S101

EGI

the point of this thread was not to call people out and berate them. Quite the opposite actually. Nobody said anything was all right, Just that they would like to see a level of civility return to the forum amidst a rather large thread vomit. name calling and finger pointing is not the answer, only self reflection.

So I'm just supposed to sit back and let him and his minions do exactly what you just said to me? WTF!?

And yes, I would love to be able to actually just talk with people on here without being attacked.

And it's not just me, he and many others out right attack people for no reason!

ucmj22

So I'm just supposed to sit back and let him and his minions do exactly what you just said to me? WTF!?

And yes, I would love to be able to actually just talk with people on here without being attacked.

... ok.... you win... congrats:peace!:

Circleville Signs

I can promise you that no one here (with our notable exception of the troll 1/2 cra(*&T whatever) attacks anyone with "no reason".

I can also promise you that many of the perceived "attacks" are not attacks. They are reality checks. People didnt' used to have such thin skin. That was before we started handing out 12th place trophies and participation awards. All of this "self esteem" building has led to a world filled with a crap-ton of whiny bit@hes. (I'm not pointing at you in that comment).

1/2-4CR3

I can promise you that no one here (with our notable exception of the troll 1/2 cra(*&T whatever) attacks anyone with "no reason".

I can also promise you that many of the perceived "attacks" are not attacks. They are reality checks. People didnt' used to have such thin skin. That was before we started handing out 12th place trophies and participation awards. All of this "self esteem" building has led to a world filled with a crap-ton of whiny bit@hes. (I'm not pointing at you in that comment).

I only reality check for you my "thin-skinned" little friend.

sar bossier

I'm gonna participate. Good morning, my name is Shelli - SAR = Sign*A*Rama (yes, gasp - a franchise!) I am the sole owner, and a female. I just turned 47 on March 8, married, 8 kids and 5 grandkids. Served in the US Navy when I was still young, and not fat (am now - oops!). Owned a DirecTV installation company with my husband for 14 years, and got SO SICK of the BS in that world, we went into the sign biz, since my husband's family is in it, and we LOVE IT! I have owned my store for 2 years, and joined this forum to learn, and if possible, to help where I can. I have learned a LOT from the members here, and appreciate the help and friendships I have gotten from my membership here. I'm not gonna change my avatar, but HELLO all!

BTW - Bossier is the city where my store is - as in SHREVEPORT/BOSSIER CITY, Louisiana.

EGI

I hear what you're saying, however, I was out right attacked all because I wouldn't post step by step instructions on how to wrap helmets. So by me not telling the world how I figured out what I did that warrants an attack?

In a very polite way I said that I would not, because I spent A LOT of time figuring out how to do it, and would not share exactly how it's done. I have provided many tips to those who have asked me though.

It has nothing to do with "thin skin" I just refuse to let some one undermine me. Because basically, when you let someone undermine you, you're letting them diminish your value.

Not to mention, after that, I paid attention to said offender, and he pretty much takes that tone with too many people, claiming he's sooooo busy that that is the only way he can interact with perceived "noobs"... If you're THAT busy, get off the net and get to work! Being busy is nowhere near a valid excuse to be a d!ck to people you don't know!

And even after I tried to let it go and mention that something he said was very honorable, he still had to be a d!ck.

So what's the deal? If you become a "Premium Member", you can say whatever you want?

Really, a lot of people on here need to chill the hell out, because I seriously doubt most of you would be so internet tuff if this was all face to face.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I came across this site, (because I use forums for a lot of other things I'm involved in to get information) and I just can't believe the level of hate that some of you display. This might be the most hate filled site I frequent. But, unfortunately, I haven't found another forum that also has this amount of relevant info, once you sort through the bs...

I guess its all relative. To me, this is one of the most civil places I go on the Internetz.

You guys are all a bunch a pussycats and I loves you. :thumb:

qmr55

Good morning everyone. I am Sam from NJ and I think I have mostly everyone on here beat I am 19 years old, turning 20 in June. I have been working at sign shops since my freshman year in high school and just about one year ago I was given the opportunity to start on my own and I took it. It has been a great experience and things are really going great!

I have a backup plan in place where if business isn't doing too great I can easily get right out and apply for CalArts as I have wanted to attend there since I first became interested in art. I don't really consider myself a rookie on the sign making and design process, but I do consider myself a rookie in the business aspect. Luckily my opportunity included bringing in a very successful business man from my area to get things going along with a 15,000 sq. ft. shop with multiple offices. All in all I love what I'm doing and my job is awesome!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, this is certainly a nice turn of events here at the end.... just when I was gonna say something nice.

Dan, I admire your wanting to make this a friendlier place. In my few years here, I think that approach has been tried a few times... in fact, once I even led the charge of all of us trying to be nicer to each other.

Really, there's no need for the bitterness between people. There are goofs and there are 100% committed professionals and both can coexist with each other when that level of respect sets in. However, there are too many people who believe in it's their way or the highway and unfortunately..... that's the mindset most follow.

I've seen... or read...... where just about everyone on s101 has lost it here to some extent... some for good reasons and others stoopid reasons.

I believe the rudeness and meanness is a by-product of a number of sources :

• A sign of the times from the poor economy.
  • Someone is attacked and responds.
  • Jealousy.
  • Joining in... to be part of something.
  • Poor upbringing.
  • Some just like arguing.
  • Peer pressure.
  • Knowing within yourself you are inadequate.
  • Nothing better to do.
  • Actual despise.
  • .........and my favorite..... some deserve it.
As for EGI. It is what it is. You wanna talk, argue or duke it out sometime.... my address and phone number are pretty easy to find. If you really can't figure it out and still want it... PM me. :thumb:

Believe me.... I'm the same in person as I am here. Many on here have met me face to face and I don't have a problem with a single person. My enemies have made themselves my enemies. So, if you find the need to go face to face.... just not this weekend.... I already have plans.
As for the thread content so far..... other than a few stoopid remarks... I would like to see this kinda atmosphere continue.

Again, thanks Dan A for bringing this up and thanks to Fred for the best Sign Forum on the planet.

:toasting: to continued growth and good fellowship :thankyou:

HulkSmash

I hear what you're saying, however, I was out right attacked all because I wouldn't post step by step instructions on how to wrap helmets. So by me not telling the world how I figured out what I did that warrants an attack?

In a very polite way I said that I would not, because I spent A LOT of time figuring out how to do it, and would not share exactly how it's done. I have provided many tips to those who have asked me though.

It has nothing to do with "thin skin" I just refuse to let some one undermine me. Because basically, when you let someone undermine you, you're letting them diminish your value.

Not to mention, after that, I paid attention to said offender, and he pretty much takes that tone with too many people, claiming he's sooooo busy that that is the only way he can interact with perceived "noobs"... If you're THAT busy, get off the net and get to work! Being busy is nowhere near a valid excuse to be a d!ck to people you don't know!

And even after I tried to let it go and mention that something he said was very honorable, he still had to be a d!ck.

So what's the deal? If you become a "Premium Member", you can say whatever you want?

Really, a lot of people on here need to chill the hell out, because I seriously doubt most of you would be so internet tuff if this was all face to face.

You're ruining this thread. And you've missed the boat on the point of this. What's the point of calling people out, when we're trying to make peace. All you're doing here is being an internet thug saying, "Let's meet up in real life" You know how pathetic that sounds? Yeah, i'd tell you that to your face.

Sad.

Fanaticus

my dream is to build a cabin in northern wisconsin and to live as simply as possible with as little human interaction as possible.

EGI

You're ruining this thread. And you've missed the boat on the point of this. What's the point of calling people out, when we're trying to make peace. All you're doing here is being an internet thug saying, "Let's meet up in real life" You know how pathetic that sounds? Yeah, i'd tell you that to your face.

Sad.

Problem is, "I" already tried to make peace with him, and he just threw it back in my face.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Having suffered unjustly at the hands of a certified [and subsequently prosecuted and deposited in the local fool farm as a permanent resident] internet stalker, when I revel my actual name and likeness notify the media, hell has frozen over.

As far as mewling pleas for a kinder, gentler forum: These are words, just words. In the history of the entire human race no one no where no how has ever been harmed by words. Unless perhaps someone was run over by a truck filled with newspapers or smacked in the face with a dictionary.

If someone chooses to be offended or have their no doubt delicate feelings hurt because of some words placed in a row by someone else, that's their choice and their responsibility. They can deal with it.

As for myself, I make every attempt to write the truth as I see it. I admit to the occasional use of hyperbole in doing so. If that should upset someone then they'll most likely be upset. While I generally am not interested in the self-inflicted angst of others I do admit to being sufficiently perverse as to find it entertaining because it is self-inflicted. People choosing to beat up on themselves is invariably amusing.

Gratuitous praise for mediocre and worse work is something in which I will never indulge. Likewise meaningless praise for good work will not be forthcoming. You're supposed to do good work, it's supposed to be normal, not praiseworthy.

HulkSmash

Having suffered unjustly at the hands of a certified [and subsequently prosecuted and deposited in the local fool farm as a permanent resident] internet stalker, when I revel my actual name and likeness notify the media, hell has frozen over.

As far as mindless pleas for a kinder, gentler forum: These are words, just words. In the history of the entire human race no one no where no how has ever been harmed by words. Unless perhaps someone was run over by a truck filled with newspapers or smacked in the face with a dictionary.

If someone chooses to be offended or have their no doubt delicate feelings hurt because of some words placed in a row by someone else, that's their choice and their responsibility. They can deal with it.

As for myself, I make every attempt to write the truth as I see it. I admit to the occasional use of hyperbole in doing so. If that should upset someone then they'll most likely be upset. While I generally am not interested in the self-inflicted angst of others I do admit to being sufficiently perverse as to find it entertaining because it is self-inflicted. People choosing to beat up on themselves is invariably amusing.

Gratuitous praise for mediocre and worse work is something in which I will never indulge. Likewise meaningless praise for good work will not be forthcoming. You're supposed to do good work, it's supposed to be normal, not praiseworthy.

Why are you making signs? You should be writing encyclopedias.

petesign

my dream is to build a cabin in northern wisconsin and to live as simply as possible with as little human interaction as possible.
I had often thought of doing this in Alaska. Do you think its sparse enough in Wisconsin to support a few introverts? Maybe it would be easier to be self sufficient there.

anotherdog

:popcorn:
This is so like CB radio in the 90's...

I guess for most this is just entertainment with a little learning thrown in. Nothing is more compelling than a bunch of people getting upset and thowing #$%@ at each other. Thats why I have this open on my RIP computer while I prep files.

The collareral damage of these bonfire vanities are the people who are honestly asking for help when a fight breaks out in the middle of the thread. I really doubt this will change, I just hope more people will jump in and put out the fire.

I for one am getting tired of the same people having the same fights on different threads. Maybe we should have a forum just dedicated to these lovefests.