• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Really NEW here!! Hi everyone :) Advise??

Techman

And another garageee sign shop with an untraind operator opens the doors using hobby shop equipment.

Good luck..

goldunicorn77

Thanks....hey everyone has to start somewhere right...? Its been going well for me, maybe someday I will get to be a big sign business...
Interesting bunch of people here, some great advice! Great forum! Sgia '07 Orlando only a week away! I'm there.

brimil

Hey some of you guys are not very nice. Is this what happens to you when you stay in this business for awhile???? If you havent noticed it is this the NEWBEE forum. Try to remember the first time you started in the business, oh by the way did you start out millionaires to get the equipment you have now.
I am not trying to be rude, just trying to get some help! :(

cOrKinSA

Hey some of you guys are not very nice. Is this what happens to you when you stay in this business for awhile???? If you havent noticed it is this the NEWBEE forum.

Don't take anything that is said here personal. The thicker the skin the better you are.

Get a sign catalog (again like fellers) and go page by page to see what in the sign industry each item is for. Circle what you need or what you want to know more about. Do some research here or on google and then order it. You will see how it is when you have been in it for awhile.

iSign

no offense, it's not about how nice people treat you, it's about the fact that you, starting to toy with some equipment and materials is considered a hobby.

Trying to sell your skills of toying around with your hobby is detrimental to the trade.

Yes we all started somewhere, but for most, that somewhere was working in this field, discovering a talent for it and a passion for it. It's not rocket science, but like anything worth doing, it is something you can never stop learning. Many of us have paid a lot of dues to be where we are at in this industry, and honestly, there are no shortcuts.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well, but that takes time.

If you try to establish a business... that is ANOTHER learning experience all together, and another one that requires some serious dues to be paid before you will reach a professional level.

As I said, no offense intended, I didn't tune in to this thread to take isue with your newness... but Techman simply stated a factual observation, to which he has every right to state.

Is it a reasonable assumption that he, or anyone else is not aware of the fact that this is a n00b forum? No, one your first day here, speaking to people who have spent every day here for years... it is not a reasonable assumption, it is a sorry little example of you trying to set your own boundries & claim your own rights.

You are mistaken, this is a "new member' welcome... not any more geard specifically to n00b signmakers then any other. You are quite welcome to be a new member, just as you are welcome to be a new signmaker, but disrespecting your peers on your first day here sets you up for being respected just a little less by others.

Is that what happens when you stay in this business for awhile???
...NO, that's what happens when mommy kicks you out of the nest... it's a dog eat dog world, and if you will make it, it will be because you learn to be honest about what you see, to call a spade a spade, and to accept you own place without denial, while you jocky for position, and carve out your own turf.

Welcome to signs101! You may not get to lay claim to some harsh-reality free zone... but you do get to learn just about everything you need to know here!

Don't worry, we can all be jerks, you ain't the lone ranger there... but it ain't always gonna help you being a jerk just because you don't like the facts of your own existence being exposed.

Richard Flint

Just wanted to say hello to you guys. I have a Vinyl Express Q60 with the Laser Master 8 software. I am just getting started with this "vinyl stuff". Working out of my home I and want to start generating some business. I am learning the software and working the plotter very fast... wheww... but I just want to get some start up advise from the veterans. What did you do first? I have so many questions, but I will start there. Thanks for your help!!

Brimil :thankyou:
Study good Lettering and good Layouts, wherever you see them and try to see WHY THEY ARE GOOD. Most all typestyles have their uses or places where they are appropriate. As for the layout, it's even more important than the style of lettering you choose. Any wording can be arranged so that it attracts attention and looks interesting enough to read. But if your layout is too reckless, crowded or mechananical looking it will kill the effect of your lettering!

OneUpTenn

I am in your shoes and I am new also. I wish you the best and me too!!! I am starting in my garage and if I am not mistaken so did the guy who owns Fellers.

Air Art Girl

subscribe to an industry magazine for valuable information. They do tend to play rough here from time to time so hang on and hang in.
Good luck.

skyhigh

Welcome...
Tell us a little of your background, what type of signage your interested in doing & what prompted you to pursue this type of career.