• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ripoff?

Custom_Grafx

That's like asking a printer for a price on 750 business cards because 500 is too few and 1000 is too many...

I also think it unnecessary to mention they are a merchant member here. You simply need to ask the question for comment. It doesn't matter who they are.

FatCat

I think some of the people commenting are missing a key point. The op isn't asking for the 144 quantity UNIT price applied to a 126 shirt order. He's basically saying...okay I only need 126 printed but go ahead and charge me for 144 so I can get the higher quantity price break. In this instance the screen printer would actually be doing LESS WORK than they would if it were an actual 144 shirt order.

+1 :thumb:

CONSIDER THIS: What if this person had sent them 143 shirts by mistake instead of 144?
Would this vendor insist the customer send them 1 more shirt before they could honor their price break?!??!?

The fact is the vendor is out nothing here by doing this - other than making a little less money because of THEIR OWN policy.
So I see this as nothing more than greed on their part.

Ridiculous.

Last edited:

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
That's like asking a printer for a price on 750 business cards because 500 is too few and 1000 is too many...

No, it is NOT!
This bloke is happy to pay for 144 to be printed, at the 144 price break. He just has only 126 substrates for it to go onto, instead of 144 of them.

The original poster is happy to pay for 144 prints, though he has a shortfall of substrates.

The real problem is simply that they didn't discuss all of this FIRST.

Custom_Grafx

No, it is NOT!
This bloke is happy to pay for 144 to be printed, at the 144 price break. He just has only 126 substrates for it to go onto, instead of 144 of them.

The original poster is happy to pay for 144 prints, though he has a shortfall of substrates.

Maybe they just don't want his business anymore in that case? Trying to be subtle?

vinylbarry

Ok this is just wrong in this way:

The printer has set prices to print on your shirts so he prints them, you are out that set amount of shirts period.
So now you want him to make less money just because you want to up the number to a price break but YOU MAKE MORE MONEY BECAUSE YOUOOOO DO NOT PROVIDE THE SET AMOUNT OF SHIRTS PERIOD so you are asking your printer to take a price break (make less money) that you do not have your investment (key word) in... the printer makes his price breaks based on you providing the shirts that means you are providing the shirts that you pay for and have a investment in thats why he gives a break it helps your investment in the product so you again want him to take less money but you dont want to invest your money in the extra shirts...
Its simple business you buy from him he helps you by providing price breaks the price breaks are just that help you in your investment... in cost per shirt not to help him make more money to help you in your investment do you see a pattern here its not about what he or she makes he is providing assistance in your investment in the cost of the shirts. SO you ask him for that price break but YOU DO NOT WANT TO INVEST IN MORE SHIRTS so you are in fact taking advantage of him............
Pricing sturtures are not to do more work or less work its based on the investment you put in versus what he puts in.

TheSnowman

I don't get what your confusion is. You knew the prices before you sent them anything, and now you think they should change prices because you don't like it? You are the kind of customer I like to fire. Get what you ordered, and pay more attention next time BEFORE you order instead of wanting someone to change what is already been established on their end.

FatCat

Ok this is just wrong in this way:

The printer has set prices to print on your shirts so he prints them, you are out that set amount of shirts period.
So now you want him to make less money just because you want to up the number to a price break but YOU MAKE MORE MONEY BECAUSE YOUOOOO DO NOT PROVIDE THE SET AMOUNT OF SHIRTS PERIOD so you are asking your printer to take a price break (make less money) that you do not have your investment (key word) in... the printer makes his price breaks based on you providing the shirts that means you are providing the shirts that you pay for and have a investment in thats why he gives a break it helps your investment in the product so you again want him to take less money but you dont want to invest your money in the extra shirts...
Its simple business you buy from him he helps you by providing price breaks the price breaks are just that help you in your investment... in cost per shirt not to help him make more money to help you in your investment do you see a pattern here its not about what he or she makes he is providing assistance in your investment in the cost of the shirts. SO you ask him for that price break but YOU DO NOT WANT TO INVEST IN MORE SHIRTS so you are in fact taking advantage of him............
Pricing sturtures are not to do more work or less work its based on the investment you put in versus what he puts in.

Barry, as I understand it the customer is PROVIDING the shirts to the printer.
The printer has NO INVESTMENT OR COST in the shirts.
The service provided is PRINTING THE SHIRTS - NOT SUPPLYING & PRINTING THE SHIRTS.

The customer has asked to be charged for PRINTING 144 shirts.
The vendor will only have to PRINT 126 shirts.

There is NO LOGIC in not doing this ONLY GREED for the vendor's flawed pricing structure.

Read my post above;
Would the company insist on charging the higher price point even if the customer supplied 1 shirt less than 144?!??!?!

No matter how you slice it, the vendor looks bad in this scenario.

signmeup

This vendor needs to amend his price break structure .( I'm sure if he asked nice Bob would share his price break formula.) Why would anyone in their right mind insist on doing more work for less money? I would print the 126 shirts for the the 144 price and take an early lunch.

wildside

i see nothing wrong on the vendors part

we just sent off an order of 190 shirts to the printer, their pricing breaks are at 144 and then at 288. I expect to pay the 144 price and not even thinking that i should get the 288 price or even the 190 price.

it is clear they have breaks at certain numbers, therefore i sell my shirts at certain breaks, my customer is paying for 190 shirts at the 144 price, they knew this when they placed the order

easy and done - just the way the business works, i don't want to have the equipment here to do it ourselves so that is the way we play

Custom_Grafx

No, it is NOT!

Oops, upon further thought... the supplier's formulas are flawed. There is an OVERLAP in his price structure, which shouldn't be there. To the OP, you might suggest to the supplier to draw a graph of their prices/qty and see the overlap. A visual might be easier than explaining with words.

On the other hand, other people's comments are still valid - you knew the price, so it's not really a rip off in that sense as well. It's quite simply, a poorly structured scale - to which you have discovered the loophole - which they should have done long ago.

It's like saying if you buy 12 apples i'll sell em to you for $1 each, but if you buy 13, it's $11...

You may find yourself in a similar dilemma at a fast food chain, asking for a large burger meal - but saying that you won't eat all the fries so they can just make that a small but you're happy with the rest. I can only imagine the time consuming discussion which would ensue with management and the 15 year old behind the counter.

Custom_Grafx

i see nothing wrong on the vendors part

we just sent off an order of 190 shirts to the printer, their pricing breaks are at 144 and then at 288. I expect to pay the 144 price and not even thinking that i should get the 288 price or even the 190 price.

it is clear they have breaks at certain numbers, therefore i sell my shirts at certain breaks, my customer is paying for 190 shirts at the 144 price, they knew this when they placed the order

easy and done - just the way the business works, i don't want to have the equipment here to do it ourselves so that is the way we play

A question...

How much for 287 shirts, and how much for 288? If 288's total is cheaper than 287's total... again... it's a bad formula.

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
Every single person on this forum that offers quantity discounts has this exact scenario somewhere in their pricebook.

So if it were your shop and a customer asked for 200 of something and you told him $1.00 each and then they asked for 100 and you said 1.50 why in the world would you give him 175 @ 1.00????? Forget the total money and focus on the principle. Then the customer pulls out a calculator and starts breaking down YOUR prices and tells you that your an idiot.

The man is sticking to his guns, good for him. Sure he could have said "OK I will do it" but that is his decision.

I don't care if the printer is making or losing money. I don't care how many widgets are being sold or printed.

What I do care about is somehow this is a debateable subject.

He asked a price, he got a price, he made a decision THEN changed the rules.

BTW I have no idea who either party is, nor do I have any personal issues with either of them. It's the whole concept that bothers me.

Just my 2 cents.

royster13

He is not asking to pay for 126 at the 144 price.....He is asking to pay for 144 at the 144 price.....

Example:
126 x 1.27 = 160.02 (72 price break)
144 x 1.17 = 145.17 (144 price break)

wildside

A question...

How much for 287 shirts, and how much for 288? If 288's total is cheaper than 287's total... again... it's a bad formula.

we are not talking 1 shirt, he is talking 18 shirts.

i have no idea what the formula is, i have no idea who the vendor is, i just went and checked my chart for our shirt vendor, and the math works correctly on the particular order we are involved with, i bet if it was closer to a shirt or two for the OP then the vendor might talk, but not on a over a dozen. On the other hand, why not talk the OP customer into the few extra shirts anyhow? if they are doing 126, 18 more should be simple to do

got to remember usually those scales are designed to get people to jump to the next level, encouragement for bulk purchasing.....

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
I ordered 126 shirts from said company. They have price breaks at 72 shirts and 144 shirts. For my particular order anything from 72-143 shirts is $6.30 each and 144+ would be $5.00 each.

What I am asking is that the company bill me for 144 shirts @ $5.00 each = $720.00. They will not agree to this and insist on charging me 126 @ $6.30 each = $793.80

Original posted question, reread it.

He is clearly asking for the 144 price break for a 126 shirt order............

:popcorn:

Bannerday

I think the OP might have made a mistake naming this thread "Ripoff??". I might have called it "Dumb??".

I don't think the merchant is being dishonest but I don't understand why he insists on printing the additional shirts. He has nothing to gain. He wouldn't make any more money and he's using more ink and time.

Oh well, his house-his rules.

Pat Whatley

NONE OF THAT MATTERS. PERIOD.

The vendor can charge whatever in the hell they want to charge. It's flawed, we can all see that, but if they WANT to charge for their services that was then they CAN charge for services that way. It's up to the consumer to decide whether they want to accept the flawed system or not.

SignStudent

For the record we settled the issue yesterday morning. While I believe the pricing structure is flawed, I think rather than trying to change it I should've just looked elsewhere. As others have noted, it was dumb of me to assume anything.

That being said, I still find it odd when people think there's nothing wrong with the price. I kind of wanted to let this thread die but the debate is somewhat interesting.

He is clearly asking for the 144 price break for a 126 shirt order............

This is inaccurate. I wonder if the heart of the debate is that some people believe this to be true. IF this is what I wanted, the price would be 126 shirts @ $5.00 each = $630.00. That would clearly be unfair and not debatable.

What I was doing is attempting to place an order for 144 shirts. I would pay for all 144 shirts. BUT I would only send them 126 to print. They wouldn't even have to print the other 18 even though I'd pay them for that too! They could print imaginary shirts I wouldn't care haha.