• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ripoff?

SignStudent

I've been having trouble getting what I believe to be a fair price from one of our merchant members on a screen-printing order. Before I stop using them, I want to see what everyone else's opinion on the subject is.

I ordered 126 shirts from said company. They have price breaks at 72 shirts and 144 shirts. For my particular order anything from 72-143 shirts is $6.30 each and 144+ would be $5.00 each.

My problem is that the customer doesn't need more than 126 shirts so isn't willing to buy more than that. What I am asking is that the company bill me for 144 shirts @ $5.00 each = $720.00. They will not agree to this and insist on charging me 126 @ $6.30 each = $793.80 unless I send them 18 more blank shirts.

I personally could never justify charging someone more money to make fewer signs/decals/whatever. Am I being unreasonable to expect this or am I being ripped off?

And before anyone says I should just use someone else and not bother with this, I've used this company before and like them other than this problem. I'm hoping I can work through it with them and not have to go on a search for someone else.

ionsigns

Worst case, order 144 and donate the unneeded 18 to GOODWILL. You are $73.80 ahead.

Are they local or out of town.? Did I miss something? At 144 they are expending more labor to earn less? Business model?

Inflexible price breaks are a pain. I avoid them for my customers.
Rapport is more valuable that meager extra dollars of "profit." Are you sending them the 126 blanks?

Last edited:

Pro Image

The only reason its a problem is because you want him to cut 70.00 off his price and hes not going to do it.......If you order 126 at 6.30 and new that up front and you did cause of his price list then you pay that.....Order 18 more shirts and get the price break or pay the price he has set......simple enough to me......

SignStudent

Worst case, order 144 and donate the unneeded 18 to GOODWILL. You are $73.80 ahead.

Are they local or out of town.? Did I miss something? At 144 they are expending more labor to earn less? Business model?

Inflexible price breaks are a pain. I avoid them for my customers.
Rapport is more valuable that a meager extra dollars of "profit."

They're out of town. I already made the mistake of sending them the shirts without first getting the quote. I just assumed I would get the fair price.

Si Allen

Sounds like you are a newbie and haven't yet really understood costs of materials, labor, shipping and overhead.

Their job is to make a fixed % profit for them! Your job is to price whatever you make or subcontract at a profit for yourself!

Tell your customer that the price breaks are at 72 and 144 shirts ... it is their decision if they want to get 18 extra shirts for less money! (seems like a no brainer to me!)

SignStudent

Sounds like you are a newbie and haven't yet really understood costs of materials, labor, shipping and overhead.

But I do understand these costs very well, and therein lies the issue. There is an obvious flaw in a pricing structure that allows one to pay more money for less labor/materials.

Their job is to make a fixed % profit for them!

Their pricing structure does not make a fixed % profit. Their % profit is MUCH higher if you were to get say 143 shirts instead of 144 shirts.

Tell your customer that the price breaks are at 72 and 144 shirts ... it is their decision if they want to get 18 extra shirts for less money! (seems like a no brainer to me!)

Maybe my thought process is too logical, but I have a hard time justifying to a customer that they can get more shirts for less money, and even more so that I would charge them more money for fewer shirts.

phototec

I just assumed I would get the fair price.

BINGO, there's the problem, you assumed something and did not have the facts before you made a educated decision.

NOW, that you have the facts, it's an easy call, if you want the cheaper price, send the 18 additional shirts, let your vendor DO MORE WORK for LESS MONEY, you give the additional shirts to your customer as a gift, you are a hero and get the better price!!!

Seams like a no-brainer to me...

:doh:

SignStudent

BINGO, there's the problem, you assumed something and did not have the facts before you made a educated decision.

I already admitted this was a mistake. I'll be sure to not make such an assumption in the future

NOW, that you have the facts, it's an easy call, if you want the cheaper price, send the 18 additional shirts, let your vendor DO MORE WORK for LESS MONEY, you give the additional shirts to your customer as a gift, you are a hero and get the better price!!!

Seams like a no-brainer to me...

:doh:

You are correct, that is a no-brainer and I have said nothing to imply otherwise. What I asked is if it's unreasonable to ask them to charge me for more shirts at the lower rate without me having to actually send them the shirts/additional work.

Pat Whatley

You're being unreasonable. You asked them about the pricing, they told you to order more shirts or pay the higher price. You either accept their policy and use them or you run find somebody else to do the printing. The policy may not make mathematical sense but if that's what they want to do then there's nothing to stop them.

Flame

You're being unreasonable.

Love you Pat but I disagree. If I were the wholesaler, I'd adjust my pricing structure a little. And honestly. I'd cave in a heartbeat. Less work and more profit in the long run!

Now, that said. If this supplier is 100% stuck on his pricing, I also see this as a no brainer. Get the 144 done, get the $5 each price, give the extra shirts to the customer with a big grin and a card and WOW the customer. It's amazing what a little extra on top of orders, can really do for you. Customers appreciate it!!!

SignStudent

You're being unreasonable. You asked them about the pricing, they told you to order more shirts or pay the higher price. You either accept their policy and use them or you run find somebody else to do the printing. The policy may not make mathematical sense but if that's what they want to do then there's nothing to stop them.

Point taken. I think you're probably right.

JR's

:thumb::thumb: thats why its there policy. there there there policy. if you want you could go to work for them and try and change it. ;-}

donuts are cheaper by the dozen to.