• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rogue Roller

jasonx

Doesn't seem like this has been discussed before.

http://rogueroller.com/

Anyone have one? Anyone built anything similar.

Looks pretty basic just a laminator roller on some double acting pneumatic cylinders on a gantry on linear rails.

Custom_Grafx

Interesting application. But I have my ways of doing what he did without too much difficulty.

I remember reading about one called the "rolls roller".

What would be the biggest plus of this though over a mounting machine/laminator? Apart from the light table, no pun intended, I don't see it...

jasonx

You could achieve a similar result with a laminator with two tables either side.

The main benefit I see this is easier to get someone who hasn't done it before to get going. Also its easier to move the vinyl as opposed to the substrate especially when you are talking about mounting to heavier materials.

There are a few models out of Europe. Rapid Applicator, Rolls Roller, RollOver and so forth.

artbot

i say get a chinese laminator. tear it apart. build a table and a linear rail/bearing and within a weekend you've got something very similar. there are quite a few rails on ebay to pick up for cheap. ...but there's no way a laminator can match this set up. a dead object and a moving tool is always more stable.

Locals Find!

You could achieve a similar result with a laminator with two tables either side.

I had worked for a shop a while back did that with a couple of cheap chinese laminators. Except it was one large table and he cut out the bottom of the laminator and just mounted it to the table top. Worked pretty well.

I think he told me it only cost him about $2,000 dollars to build. I am sure artbot could knock off the tool in the video in a weekend for about the same budget.

MikePro

i've been working on plans to build one myself, after seeing the Euro version in threads a few months back. Currently doing the same work by hand with my laminator, no problem, but the idea of the substrate remaining still is very appealing.

artbot

i'm already doing it. this new table for the printer is so big (7'x 24'), that i'm fitting a printer at one end and a pre-masker at the other end. i've got and old 65" walco laminator that i'm going to tear a part. maybe put a 7' roller on. but most likely just extend the shaft and i can just rotate the sheet if i go beyond 65".

Attachments

• table1.jpg
    table1.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 316
  • table2.jpg
    table2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 283
  • table options.jpg
    table options.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 283

Locals Find!

Hey Artbot my GF keeps bugging me to take here to texas to see some family. Can I stop by and see your shop? The stuff you posts just amazes me and I would really love to just stop by and see some of this stuff in person.

Sorry for the :threadplease continue on.

artbot

i don't know. i got tired just watching the guy use it. roller tables are the ultimate. mountain graphics does tons of vinyl (when i say tons, i mean literally tons) and they have several huge roll rollers. the people using them look very relaxed and underworked.

this is an interesting model.

you put the graphic and the van through the laminator at the same time and hope for the best.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Webb-12-x-1...650?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item484340bdb2

jasonx

We're just finishing up building one also. I hope to have it operational tomorrow.

Post up some pics tomorrow. Did you put in a glass top? This is the only portion that worries me.

It doesn't seem they weld any angle to support the glass on the edges of the table between the side beams. But I think that would be a better design.

SqueeGee

Post up some pics tomorrow. Did you put in a glass top? This is the only portion that worries me.

It doesn't seem they weld any angle to support the glass on the edges of the table between the side beams. But I think that would be a better design.

No glass. I don't need it to be backlit. Here's a pic. I still need to add a brace over the top to keep it running square and a self healing mat.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 344

SqueeGee

$3k for the bench, casters, linear bearings, rails - all ready to assemble(cut, tapped, etc.) with shipping.

Laminator parts not included in that price.

Our production area is on the 2nd floor so I wanted to be able to assemble it.

It has a 5' x 12' work surface and the rails extend 2' from each side. I'll post more pics tomorrow.