• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rogue Roller

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
who the hell would waste money on one of these.
The videos from the RollsRollers guys show them being used in shops with high volume repeats of the same thing onto street sign backing. They have Styrofoam jigs and make it look pretty fast without a lot of effort from the operator.
I think if you could get the contract for the freeway signs in Ca away from the Corrections Department it would make sense to invest in something like this.

wayne k
guam usa

artbot

in don't see any springs. set a small compression spring above the wheel below the pin. something short/flat wire.

that should compensate for minute differences in pitch across the substrate.

Attachments

• helical-compression-spring-750797.jpg
    helical-compression-spring-750797.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 98

SqueeGee

who the hell would waste money on one of these.

And not to mention the amount of space.

It cracks me up when folks have such a strong opinion about something that they know nothing about.

Have you stiffened up your gantry?

I have. It's not pretty - just welded aluminum extrusion at this point - but functional in that it has eliminated the racking. My problem now is getting the top surface of the bench perfectly flat.

artbot

perfectly level the table and pour bar top epoxy on it. then plane the edges back to clean again. let gravity to the flattening. it will fill the voids by pooling and or thinning over the hills. there may be a better thing than table top epoxy just knocking stuff out there.

HulkSmash

It cracks me up when folks have such a strong opinion about something that they know nothing about.

It cracks me up when people assume. The link on this thread was posted over a year ago, about some guy in Europe who got it...who is on the forum. I know exactly what it does. The exact same thing my $4,000 lam does. Not to mention i can do other things with it. I guess it's good if you layer vinyl.. but the people who are doing that can't afford that. I can lay it on that bed, set it up with the roller. Tape it down, and then command my machine to roll the graphic on. Or i can just throw it through my lam.. 1 step.

SqueeGee

It cracks me up when people assume. The link on this thread was posted over a year ago, about some guy in Europe who got it...who is on the forum. I know exactly what it does. The exact same thing my $4,000 lam does. Not to mention i can do other things with it. I guess it's good if you layer vinyl.. but the people who are doing that can't afford that. I can lay it on that bed, set it up with the roller. Tape it down, and then command my machine to roll the graphic on. Or i can just throw it through my lam.. 1 step.

If all I did was wrap vehicles, then all I would need is a laminator.

Moving 5’ x 12’ sheets of .100 aluminum through a laminator can be done. But it takes a lot of space and screw ups are very costly, not to mention the fact that it is a very strenuous activity when doing it day after day after day. Add on top of that the fact 3M high intensity prismatic sheeting is not available in 60" rolls - 48” is the largest. So now, for one 5' x12’ sign, we're talking about four trips through the laminator - two for sheeting and two for EC film. That requires two, twelve foot long benches on either side of the laminator and two people to shuffle it back and forth.

When complete, this bench will need half the space and half the labor. Our 100 lb production gal will be able to run it by herself, all day long.

Can you shuffle along, now, and let the big boys and girls talk?

SqueeGee

perfectly level the table and pour bar top epoxy on it. then plane the edges back to clean again. let gravity to the flattening. it will fill the voids by pooling and or thinning over the hills. there may be a better thing than table top epoxy just knocking stuff out there.

I'm going to check this out. Thanks for the tip.

CentralSigns

Looks like a chineese knockoff of the Rolls Roller. They are a little more. There is posts on them in the archives as I started one. To understand the process look at u-tube videos there are lots of the Rolls Roller ones

Last edited:

artbot

exactly. this takes up half as much space as the infeed and outfeed. i'm so tired of needing 20-24' of feed on these long substrates. this thing is the flatbed printer of laminators.

HulkSmash

If all I did was wrap vehicles, then all I would need is a laminator.

Moving 5’ x 12’ sheets of .100 aluminum through a laminator can be done. But it takes a lot of space and screw ups are very costly, not to mention the fact that it is a very strenuous activity when doing it day after day after day. Add on top of that the fact 3M high intensity prismatic sheeting is not available in 60" rolls - 48” is the largest. So now, for one 5' x12’ sign, we're talking about four trips through the laminator - two for sheeting and two for EC film. That requires two, twelve foot long benches on either side of the laminator and two people to shuffle it back and forth.

When complete, this bench will need half the space and half the labor. Our 100 lb production gal will be able to run it by herself, all day long.

Can you shuffle along, now, and let the big boys and girls talk?

I move 5x12's through lam's all day. A lot of screw ups? You have to be missing a few cards from a deck to screw that up. And it takes up space to do? Hmm interesting - how big is that table? How much space does it take. 4 tips through a lam. No problem. If it is? Do it by hand. 100 lb girl? Sounds like a personal problem. Let the big boys talk, now you're trying to talk down to me. Cute, how old are you 12?

Please don't make me run circles around you in front of the class.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
All good points,
plus if you get the lighted model you can swap out the LEDs with UV lamps & run a tanning salon during the slow season.

wayne k
guam usa

jasonx

Squeegee is the problem that your work surface isn't flat (getting bubbles etc) or the laminating roller isn't perfectly parallel to the work surface?

SqueeGee

I move 5x12's through lam's all day. A lot of screw ups? You have to be missing a few cards from a deck to screw that up. And it takes up space to do? Hmm interesting - how big is that table? How much space does it take. 4 tips through a lam. No problem. If it is? Do it by hand. 100 lb girl? Sounds like a personal problem. Let the big boys talk, now you're trying to talk down to me. Cute, how old are you 12?

Please don't make me run circles around you in front of the class.

Who said '"a lot" of screw ups? You can't lay EC film by hand. You're out of your element on this topic, skippy. When I need help wrapping a side mirror, you'll have my undivided attention. How about running your little circles back to one of the reality tv threads?

SqueeGee

Squeegee is the problem that your work surface isn't flat (getting bubbles etc) or the laminating roller isn't perfectly parallel to the work surface?

I don't think it's a parallel issue because when pressure is released from the air cylinders, the roller essentially just rolls on top of the table. I think the issue is low spots in the work surface.

I ran application tape over the top to get a sense of where the issues where and yes, there where areas that had bubbles and some areas that where firmly adhered.

Tomorrow, I'm going to start at the floor and work my way up, leveling and squaring everything as I go to isolate the issue. Artbot's idea might be the finishing touch that bring's it all together.

jasonx

I don't think it's a parallel issue because when pressure is released from the air cylinders, the roller essentially just rolls on top of the table. I think the issue is low spots in the work surface.

I ran application tape over the top to get a sense of where the issues where and yes, there where areas that had bubbles and some areas that where firmly adhered.

Tomorrow, I'm going to start at the floor and work my way up, leveling and squaring everything as I go to isolate the issue. Artbot's idea might be the finishing touch that bring's it all together.

Artbots epoxy idea might be a winner in that case if its going to be too difficult to level everything and ensure the work surface is perfectly flat.

HulkSmash

Who said '"a lot" of screw ups? You can't lay EC film by hand. You're out of your element on this topic, skippy. When I need help wrapping a side mirror, you'll have my undivided attention. How about running your little circles back to one of the reality tv threads?

Why are you trying to insult me? You say let the big boys play, because you think i do more wraps than signs? EC film is pretty simply to throw through a lam. I guess some have issues with it...:ROFLMAO:
We run 30+ feet of lexan through our lam.

You say you don't have room to set up tables to throw through a lam, but you have enough room to put a full bed there to do it by machine? Your logic is about as weak as your insults.

SqueeGee

Congrat's on your 30' of lexan.

I'm not trying to insult you. I'm trying to encourage you. To go away.

You have nothing useful to share on this topic and that's ok. Accept it and move on.

SqueeGee

Artbots epoxy idea might be a winner in that case if its going to be too difficult to level everything and ensure the work surface is perfectly flat.

I was hoping that Lowes stocked the epoxy but based on their website, that doesn't seem to be the case. I'll run by there in the morning to confirm. What other types of businesses would stock it? Paint suppliers? I'd rather find it locally if possible.

HulkSmash

Congrat's on your 30' of lexan.

I'm not trying to insult you. I'm trying to encourage you. To go away.

You have nothing useful to share on this topic and that's ok. Accept it and move on.

Well, here's to you learning to lay vinyl with no issue one day. It's pretty simple, you'll get it soon enough.

SqueeGee

And here's to your upcoming journey through puberty. When you grow up, I'm sure I'll want to be just like you. Just more efficient and profitable.