• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rogue Roller

HulkSmash

And here's to your upcoming journey through puberty. When you grow up, I'm sure I'll want to be just like you. Just more efficient and profitable.

You follow many who want that. Except - some find it hard to be as profitable.

Maybe you'll be the first, mmm doubt it though.

jono91

I was hoping that Lowes stocked the epoxy but based on their website, that doesn't seem to be the case. I'll run by there in the morning to confirm. What other types of businesses would stock it? Paint suppliers? I'd rather find it locally if possible.

Flooring companies use a similar product to level floors before laying vinyl floor boards down

artbot

i really don't get the hostility here. aren't we talking about laminating? it's such a passive subject.

i did a bit of searching and it does seem that the technique of pouring your surface flat is an accepted flattening system. here's a pretty good page describing such a project.

http://www.precisionepoxy.com/TableTopSurfacePlate.htm

Attachments

• TableTop5467.JPG
    TableTop5467.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 136

SqueeGee

Sorry. I normally don't get sucked in to these things. The arrogance was just more than I could stomach tonight.

Great link. It certainly reinforces this as a viable solution. I'll let you know how it goes.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
i really don't get the hostility here. aren't we talking about laminating? it's such a passive subject.

i did a bit of searching and it does seem that the technique of pouring your surface flat is an accepted flattening system. here's a pretty good page describing such a project.

http://www.precisionepoxy.com/TableTopSurfacePlate.htm

That's interesting I wonder how they made sure the aluminum plate laid down flat & true all over the 3/8" epoxy layer?

wayne k
guam usa

artbot

it really doesn't matter if the table is level. it only matters if the roller is level to the table. and truly, there are so many variables that can decide just how that table ends up, if you do pour it. i'd think that it would be easier to set the table level, pour it. then shem the gantry to the the table. that is a single axis entity compared to plane. and i'd still go with some springs. they are just too easy to add to the build and will distribute your pressure much more evenly. you'd just need two springs, some washers and a stop collar.

SqueeGee

I'm not following you on the springs.

Imagine dropping a rolling pin on a counter and pushing it across. Irregularities in the counter top would not be compensated for by having springs under the roller handles.

Does that make sense or am I completely misunderstanding how you would use the springs?

SqueeGee

I'll post a pic or video tomorrow but the roller essentially "floats" on the bench. There is no other force holding it down other than it's own weight.

Garbus

we have the rolls roller. Don't know the size in american meassures, but it's 1,5 x 3,5 meters. It's an awsome machine. Great for mounting large panels, and great when doing lots of smaller signs at once... then through the Zünd cutter afterwards.

being a large company, we have lots of young shift workers, that have never mounted anything with a squeegee, and after just one "show and tell" they go a whole day without F****** up.

Ours does not have the light in it though, that would have been a nice addition to it.

artbot

i have a crappy contech premasking machine. it used to have some really beefy springs. i've since swapped them for lighter springs. usually i just use the weight of the roller but with some substrates with a warp or sometimes laying up veneer and such, i need a bit of pressure. you know way more about the operation of your roller. i just figured if it's not heavy enough to hug the table a few more pounds of downforce might be good.

Attachments

• PICT0135.jpg
    PICT0135.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 133

jasonx

I thought the puenamic cylinders were meant to give you the down force? Won't the rubber in the roller give enough give to compensate for slight irregularities?

SqueeGee

I thought the puenamic cylinders were meant to give you the down force? Won't the rubber in the roller give enough give to compensate for slight irregularities?

I didn't think that this was accurate. I thought that dropping the roller did only that but I checked it today and yes, the cylinders do add additional down force. I got it operational at about 4:00 today and I shot a quick video with my phone. I'll try to get it uploaded tonight.

jasonx

Awesome. If you up the air pressure in the cylinders that might give you the needed down force to sort through small irregularities in the work surface.

RogueRoller

Hello name is Charlie,
Thought I would put myself in the line of fire here lol
I am the owner of the Rogue Roller Company here in the US.
Love the comments. For the ones that don't see the advantages of a your sub-straight staying in one location I hope one day you try it. Not only do I make sign equipment I have worked my own sign companies for over 15 years.
That being said I know how a sign shop works and how to make it turn a profit.
So if I can answer some questions please fire away.
Ps. I will be glad to answer any questions.

kylebrk

Hello name is Charlie,
Thought I would put myself in the line of fire here lol
I am the owner of the Rogue Roller Company here in the US.
Love the comments. For the ones that don't see the advantages of a your sub-straight staying in one location I hope one day you try it. Not only do I make sign equipment I have worked my own sign companies for over 15 years.
That being said I know how a sign shop works and how to make it turn a profit.
So if I can answer some questions please fire away.
Ps. I will be glad to answer any questions.

Id start with the price point. As you can see, many believe your machine is worth a considerable amount less than your asking price. $12k is a huge investment, especially when a lot of ESSENTIAL equipment can be bought for around the same money.

Just a thought. My guys do awesome with a roll to roll laminator.

jasonx

Id start with the price point. As you can see, many believe your machine is worth a considerable amount less than your asking price. $12k is a huge investment, especially when a lot of ESSENTIAL equipment can be bought for around the same money.

Just a thought. My guys do awesome with a roll to roll laminator.

There product is cheaper then the competition. Why would they lower the price?

kylebrk

There product is cheaper then the competition. Why would they lower the price?

Im working off the feedback from the signshop decision makers on this forum. If you read through that last few pages (minus the drama), you'll see several posts stating that the machine is not worth that money. Just sayin'....he asked for feedback.

artbot

it really depends on what you do in your shop. if you have an employee that does lay ups on rigid stock practically all day every day. that machines is their "baby". ask them if they want to downgrade to a moving substrate vs moving roller machine. from an engineering standpoint moving the part is never the most stable platform (panel saws, track saws, cnc machines, flatbed printers). anytime you get to a "top of the line" solution, the substrate sits still.

and i don't think $12k is that expensive. i'm sure you could build one of similar quality for $4k in parts, then spend around another $5k in personal labor building it. ...sounds like a fun project. i've been in a shop with five massive top of the line rolls rollers. they do millions in sales. they get the best solution. if laminators were the best solution then they'd have a bunch of those instead.

i can only figure that there's some xenophobia or something going on here.

RogueRoller

ArtBot, it seams you have done your home work. When it comes to a world market our machine sales for $8,000 to 10,000 less then all the rest. That may look easy to do and by a lot of folks they feel one could be made for $1000 to $2000 when you can't even buy a quality roller at this price.
When it comes to price a lot of things come into play on what one should charge for a product.
1. cost to build the unit (our machine is made in the USA not in China. Our workers get medical a safe work environment and are paid a wage they can live on)
2. Cost of the factory they are built in.
3. Cost of marketing. Trade shows, magazines, web sites and the employes for the marketing department.
4. warranty you can make a product out of supplies that are cheep to buy and be called out to constantly fix the product or you could make it out of the best parts to offer a warranty that backs the price of your product. We have a 3 year warranty on our unit the rest only offer 1-2 years on there units. (at $8000 more in price)
I hope this answers the price question that others have posted.

If one needs a comparison
Two sign shops do the same outdoor sign
one uses 2 year vinyl on a peace of plywood
The other uses high grade vinyl on a DiBond panel
The first shop sold for less and after the first summer it looked like is was 4 years old. Plywood is separating and the vinyl is faded and starting to roll on the edges.
The second one is on it's third year and still looking great.
Most likely the the second company is growing and sees the advantage of giving people what the paid for at a price that is fair. While the first company has negative remarks from their clients and can't understand why they can't get ahead.

To date we have no clients that wish they went with a much cheeper machine.
For a all in one machine our clients wish they would have done it sooner then latter.
How is it all in one
It will do your transfer tape
It will apply your laminate.
Transfer your graphics.
Plus a glass work table for all your cutting needs
That works in a smaller space then a laminator doing a 4'X8' panel