• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland general questions???

cartoad

My 2 cents, we have had our Roland for over 3 years with a lot of learning to go with it.
Next trip your Roland Tech comes out, be his shadow, learn everything you can about it, don't expect an employee to learn and retain it. Do the regular cleaning as directed, have the tech show you how to clean the encoder strip (depending on your area needs to be done on a regular basis in our dusty area)
We have only on a few occassions done a med clean, I guess ours runs enough not to need it, we have great prints. We do the weekly cleaning and maint of the machine as advised by the Roland folks.
As for head height, our general rule is vinyl low position, banner high position. We do not print magnetic materials (head striks even in high position and hard to work with)
We also are selective as to what we cross cut (sheet cut) material with, some heavy banner or art canvas we just cut off with our knife.
To date we have replaced on head, one servo board, encoder strip and consumables, and had panic attacks on Friday's at 4:30pm in the middle of a big print job due out Monday when things did not work right. That is when we really have learned a lot about our machine.

anotherdog

You only really learn when things go wrong, but the Rolands are great workhorses. I have had mine for six months, take every opportunity to learn.
The only time I have needed high head height is on mesh banner, use those long media bars though. they are a lifesaver. Tomorrow I have a go at double sided 20 oz banner...it's what sundays are for.

juniorferg

I came in late on this discussion but here goes. Head height is only used for thicker material. Vehicle wrap material is thin and should be set on Low setting. For banners and thicker mil. raise it to make sure you dont get any head strike. Thats about it for the raising of the heads.
Turning the machine off.... DONT DO IT! I specifically asked my techy this and it is to act like a server. Dont turn it off, and let it sleep. Every so often it will clean its self so dont interupt this.
As far as CLEANING... Medium should be the highest you need to go for a normal user. If you really think you need a Power cleaning, then call your tech and have them figure out the problem. It may be worst than what your seeing.
And I dont know how many jobs you do in a month but if I have a roll of vinyl on my printer for over a month I am not doing something right. I am constantly changing media, whether it be banner or vehicle wrap or wall wrap, its alway changing. We are a really small shop as well so start off with the one and keep learning, you'll be fine buddy! :rock-n-roll:. Just remember to keep a large bottle of whiskey next to your desk for those really infuriating nights :beer. Take care and I hope this helped a little bit. We have all been starters at some point and Im not far off that mark myself. Synergy Jim just helped me with a very simple problem that I couldnt get because of my lack of knowledge on the cutting side so hang in there.

DiS

Sorry to jump in but could anyone please explain the method of raising head height on a SP300V as I do get the occasional head strike on banners!!

Many thanks

Ponto

You haven't lived until you've had a head strike... s**t happens because of so many reasons but the Roland is quite a workhorse. The last strike I had nearly made me crawl into a hole ... for some reason the media clamps got involved and the noise was sickening when the print went south. The heads made it though and I just replaced one of the clamps... don't need many more of those though!!!

JP