• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland giving some money back ?

player

I think the printer is defective.

It should still cut properly with the reg. marks not laminated, which it does not.

He states it also is intermittent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

He should be testing it with regular material and lam and I bet it is still off.

There are also calibration routines within the machine that on my POS Roland crap
that it does not align no matter what is done.

He should return the machine and get one without the cutter if it is not going to print cut.

johnnysigns

I did and I shipped 8 kits out with this 8mil . I now have 4 cases against me on eBay stating item not as described ( Thin Material )

All of these kids want super think A$$ material .

I'm on TRX450R.org too, that's a tough spot man, but as one business person to another there's a huge learning curve with these things. If this stuff was easy, everyone would do it.

player

per brochure "Maximum 1.0 mm with liner, for printing Maximum 0.4 mm with liner and 0.22 mm without liner, for cutting"

0.22mm = 8.66 mil

My tech says this is the print head height, not cut depth. He says your machine should cut 13ml no problem. He has cut 14mil 100s of times.

He says get your dealer to get in touch with Roland Field Support and it will get fixed.

jfiscus

Rap Master
If you print/cut w/o lam, and it does the same thing then either your software/hardware is defective or set up incorrectly by the tech.
If it does the print/cut perfectly w/o lam every time then the machine isn't happy with the lam.
Is there a sensitivity setting to the eye that reads the reg marks? Can you adjust it?

If it REALLY is (doubtful to me) the lam distorting the eye's reading of the reg marks, then before you apply lam put a piece of masking tape over the marks, then after lam cut the lam and tape off carefully to expose the original marks to the eye.

player

If you print/cut w/o lam, and it does the same thing then either your software/hardware is defective or set up incorrectly by the tech.
If it does the print/cut perfectly w/o lam every time then the machine isn't happy with the lam.
Is there a sensitivity setting to the eye that reads the reg marks? Can you adjust it?

If it REALLY is (doubtful to me) the lam distorting the eye's reading of the reg marks, then before you apply lam put a piece of masking tape over the marks, then after lam cut the lam and tape off carefully to expose the original marks to the eye.

He said he tried that and it did not work.

royster13

Try to locate someone close to you with the same equipment and take your material to them to see if they can get a good result....

Tyler Durden

I have a 545ex and must say after 6 years registration is very good. Not "Summa crazy good" but pretty good as long and you run print/cut calibrate once in a while. That said I'm cutting 3 mills, I can only imagine 12 mill must put a big stress on the machine. The pulling wire would get under huge tension trying to pull the knife through that, as well as motors etc.

These machines are multipurpose so they cant be expected to be the best at both printing and cutting, although I hope that is the case one day.

You may have to bite the bullet and get a more robust cutter like the summa with a tangential blade if you are really committed to doing a lot of 12mil. In the end it sounds like your sales justify the purchase.

if it IS simply a problem with reg marks then just print a bunch and tab them over top of the laminated ones. Turn the heat up and cut.

2B

have not taken the time to read all the posts, so if this already suggested consider this a +1

as temp fix, why not locate a wholesaler (there are several MM here) that can handle the 12mil and then you can focus on the sales/customer service till you find a fix for yourself.

another option is to get a wholesaler who has a good enough price point and let them do all of the 12mil production, ships to you for quality check then you mail out.
case in point, take Signs2Trade, at the price they sale banners it is impossible to do it in shop for less even when you add the S/H onto the banner price.
you still have a machine that can handle other products (as long as it is thinner materials)

Sign Works

Isn't a flatbed cutter the standard equipement choice for these type applications?

I've done a few sets on my Roland SP-300V using 6 mil. Convex High Bond vinyl and 4 mil. Convex Motowrap Laminate without any issues, shoot I even used the standard blade.

Pat Whatley

Roland will come through for the squeaky wheel. You just need to be very squeaky in the correct ear.
HEY ROLAND! When are you going to call us back about that refund of the small fortune we lost on your Color Scam debacle? Been waiting on those calls back for what...12 years now?

Roland still sucks.

Sign Works

HEY ROLAND! When are you going to call us back about that refund of the small fortune we lost on your Color Scam debacle? Been waiting on those calls back for what...12 years now?

Roland still sucks.

And yet I printed a $2,500 order just this last week on my ColorScam.
My ColorScam still works flawlessly but I never did expect it to be something it is not.

Roland Still Kicks Butt.

autoexebat

LOL you guy's are still on this subject huh ... I gave up on it to be honest with you. I still sell some kits made from 8 mil but I always let the customer know before hand. 12 mil will NOT work in this machine.

However 8 mil works perfectly fine ! I have NOT had 1 issue with the 8 mil at all. Unfortantly I had to give up making graphics full time and find a full time job ... All in all I wish I never would have bought the machine .. I do think someone should have advised me at the time of purchase.

player

I am telling you my Roland tech says it will do 14 mil all day long and very accurately. There is something wrong with your machine. Call their head office and plead your case.

autoexebat

I am telling you my Roland tech says it will do 14 mil all day long and very accurately. There is something wrong with your machine. Call their head office and plead your case.

ll they will do is send another tech , make sure it cuts fine without lamination ( and it does ) then from there they will be baffled .... This has been a 2 month battle as of now...

Didnt someone post here saying the manual said it would not do 12 mil ?

Anyway , I am a bit unhappy that the Roland office never did a follow up on my machine. I guess since they got $$$ then the hell with me .

Pat Whatley

And yet I printed a $2,500 order just this last week on my ColorScam.
My ColorScam still works flawlessly but I never did expect it to be something it is not.

Roland Still Kicks Butt.

Yeah, those 2" x 2" spot color decals can be a real *****. We never could keep ours running long enough to turn a profit.

Glad you managed to make some money with yours. You're one of the few from what I've heard.

autoexebat

I can't say that Roland is the best , or if Roland sucks ... OR my dealer.

I am just a little shocked that I never got a follow-up call from Roland :omg:

player

I can't say that Roland is the best , or if Roland sucks ... OR my dealer.

I am just a little shocked that I never got a follow-up call from Roland :omg:

When I talked to my tech about your problem he said he has cut hundreds and hundred of jobs on a Roland with 14mil. He thinks there is something wrong with your machine. I told you in an earlier post who you need to contact from Roland.

Edit: Here it is: He says get your dealer to get in touch with Roland Field Support and it will get fixed.

Last edited:

player

Don't let your warranty run out! It is so much harder for you to get them to work on it free or under a warranty claim AFTER your warranty is over. You deserve a replacement machine, or a refund at this point.