• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland revolutionary new wide-format inkjet printer?

Brandon708

Very neat.

Attachments

• 20090904-roland01.jpg
    20090904-roland01.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 20090904-roland02.jpg
    20090904-roland02.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Your Space

Hello everyone,

Just joined the forum but I'm very interested in this topic. I'll be opening my shop in the next sixty days and was considering the Versa 450.

I've had a lot of interest in upgrading to the XC and now the MT. If anyone gets any info they can share from the show or their Roland rep please share!

Just tried to go to the Roland website and it looks like it is down.

Mark Your Space

I spoke with a Roland rep today.

She said that tomorrow is just a sneak peak to guage/generate interest in the printer and new ink.

She said there will be no roll out date announced tomorrow (for either the printer or the silver ink)......booo

I was hoping to get in on the newest technology out of the gate. Oh well.

If anyone hears anything different there please post!

mark in tx

Is that an external dryer in the picture? Is it included with the machine?

I've always been wary of first generation equipment with new technology, might be better to lease one of these machines.

tdgraphics

I was there at Sign & Digital Ireland, it was the worldwide launch of the metallic printer based on the Pro III. Its pink instead of blue. I believe the white printing is totally new and much better than before.

Here are the links for it.

http://www.largeformatreview.com/la...nounce-large-format-inkjet-with-metallic-ink-

http://www.printweek.com/News/MostEmailed/938396/Roland-revealed-metallic-inkjet-pioneer/

http://www.imagereportsmag.co.uk/co...-brings-out-metallic-inks-inkjet-printer.html

Neil

Mark Your Space

So, I was about to order my printer when.....

I've verified the following information with my local Roland rep at Proveer as well as a second source within the industry.

Roland will announce the availability of the new MT printer after 10/24/09. The first printers should ship sometime the first week of November.

My understanding is the cost is about $40,000. Includes an external dryer and the ink recirculation system for the white and silver ink. I'm working on getting some actual print samples.

So does anyone think I'm crazy for upgrading from the VP to the MT for my first printer?

I look at it this way......I can provide metallic prints for shops in the area. Hopefully I can do some additional wholesale business this way.

I'd like to hear your $.02

cajun312

I saw some prints from the new Roland at the SGIA show, they look pretty good, sort of a pearl look to them.
Mimaki had a prototype printer using silver ink also.

bigben

So, I was about to order my printer when.....

I've verified the following information with my local Roland rep at Proveer as well as a second source within the industry.

Roland will announce the availability of the new MT printer after 10/24/09. The first printers should ship sometime the first week of November.

My understanding is the cost is about $40,000. Includes an external dryer and the ink recirculation system for the white and silver ink. I'm working on getting some actual print samples.

So does anyone think I'm crazy for upgrading from the VP to the MT for my first printer?

I look at it this way......I can provide metallic prints for shops in the area. Hopefully I can do some additional wholesale business this way.

I'd like to hear your $.02

Had the same idea here... I can't wait to see prints samples.

Ben

Brandon708

Wow 40k?

Is the metalic really worth it? I have never had a customer ask for metalic inks. They are all usualy on a tight budget as it is and to sell them preimum inks they probably would not want to add the extra costs.
I guess its just like metalic vinyl, it's there but not that many people want to pay the extra money for it.
Paying $12k extra for it seem a bit high and would take a while for you to get that 12k back. IMO
Maybe wait till they get the kinks out and the price goes down a little.

But if you must and you have the market for it then GO FOR IT!!!!!

Mark Your Space

My concern about waiting are the investment will be $40k (or slightly lower) instead of just the upgrade fee.

Honestly I was going to get the XC so its only $3k to get the MT.......

I'd love to hear more opinions. Do you guys think people will use the metallic colors once they are available?

I see why vinyl hasn't really taken off, its uses are becoming more limited by the day and it is expensive. People going for a vinyl product are usually looking for something cheap and temporary.

Will metallic ink be something our consumers want? Perhaps the industry will have to sell it to them at first....but then it could take off like some other product improvements in the past (gps in the car for instance or internet on your phone)

Love to hear some opinions.

Thanks

Brandon708

as I keep thinking about it, it seems cool to have but only a few customers would benifit from it.

I can only see small indoor jobs benifiting from this. Also those partictular companys that want door decals for their truck or Business window. Something that is in your face so you can see the detail.

I got to see some samples so I can get a better grasp of this product. And actual cost psf of the inks.

design unfolds

i think only packaging industry will want something like this. They would spend money for mock up, but the market is too small and they will not order big amount for mock anyway.

Last edited:

Brandon708

ok I just put 2 and 2 toghether!
Mike thats you correct? It was nice to meet you yesterday and talk to you about the MT. Get the MT!!!

Also im glad you found this website. Its a great informational site for us sign guys! Keep us updated on your purchase.
-Brandon
Mission Signs