• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Sp 540v question Please Help!!!

tradeup

just did a printhead powerful cleaning and now I am missing a couple black nozzles??? Whats your opinion on me buying a couple cleaning cartridges and flushing the system?

Not sure if that would be a good idea.

Also any thoughts on static? I do have my printer on carpet do you think that could be the cause?

tradeup

ok just had to do something really bad!!!! I did one last powerful head cleaning and ran out of magenta. Was scared heads would dry up.. Have about 9 new ink cartridges but did not have a magenta so I called Grimco our local supplier because I wanted to get ink in asap! Had to buy a 20/20 series 21 brand ink so I could get in today! Ordered oem roland ink and had them over nighted to replace tomorrow!

Anyone had any luck with 20/20 should I get my 80.00 worth or pitch it tomorrow and do a few more cleanings?

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Am I the only one who noticed that his nozzle test print was filthy?!

In post 6?
They look fine and should print great at any setting. A couple missing nozzles is nothing to sweat about.

The problem most likely is:

A) Wrong export settings from the software.
B) Original, supplied, or web grab artwork is low resolution.
C) Wrong profile and print settings in the rip.

tradeup

DSC_0082.jpg

here is a closeup of yellows in my color chart

tradeup

I had versaworks setting on heat to use default printer settings and I think that caused a lot of my problems just switched printer to use media settings and I am getting much better results. Just printed a banner and had it set to the lowest quality and it came out great!

rjssigns

These are not DeskJets and I would imagine no one told you about the steep learning curve needed to get consistent high quality output.

You will gain nothing in resolution by going to a different printer.
SP540V's can do 1440x1440 like all the other printers. You will only get higher resolution out of aqueous printers.
You need to learn proper file set-up and proper set-up/running of the printer and you will be amazed at what an SP can do. Ours prints "money" everyday.

If you don't want your SP send it to me,LOL.

Jack Knight1979

It looks like VW output problem.

Turn the carriage speed down a couple hundred MM/Sec on small prints and you'll get much tighter dot placement on smalls.

At the end of the day, the drop size on these machines are much larger than than of aqueous, so it is what it is. On small prints, the best way to remove grainy prints is with a higher pass at lower carriage speeds.

tradeup

Not sure the problem I have been able to get ok quality printing but not what I expected. Was at Burger king today looking at a poster that was beautiful everything was crisp. Wishing mine was that way. Don't get me wrong at 30" + my prints look great but any closer and I see the dot placement.

Have tried slowing down the carriage speed and don't see any better results. Have tried several different types of media and problem still exists. with the exception of scrim banner it looks great.

Thought it might be a export issue but my color charts print spotty and I use the correct profile and have even tried several other profiles testing but no good results. If I do a double pass on printing it gets rid of the dots but the ink gets over saturated and looks awful..

Considering just selling and getting a brand new machine with a warranty!

Does anyone know how much average it would cost to have a roland tech come check it out? Problem is the nearest Roland service center is in St. Louis about 2 hours away. Would it be cheaper to just take it to them and drop it off?

This is driving me nuts!!!!!

kanini

The poster you've looked at is probably offset printed since they are made in large volumes. These SP machines will show a little dot placement if looked closely, and I think that's the tradeoff for ink longetivity. However, if you've managed to get some prints to look good and some that don't, then you have a software/file/setting issue. If you've never got the prints to look as good as from another SP then you need to get your machine checked out. Note that I said "as from another SP" because you really need to know if you have a problem with the machine or chasing ghosts... If your machine is OK you won't get any better quality from a new one with only 4 colors...
The nozzle test is fine, you don't need to do powerful cleanings (which you should be careful with anyways). Good luck!

tradeup

I can live with the prints if that is the correct way it should print. But others say theirs prints with no dots which that is what is bothering me. All this money paid I just want it to be right..

So I need to see a another similar models prints

so if someone with a sp540 or sp300 I would be glad to PayPal you a small fee for your time and material plus shipping costs to print me out a Roland color chart using Versaworks and mail it to me.

Probably the best way to go about it. If someone would be so nice to do this it would be awesome and if it prints the same as mine I will be happy. If not back to the drawing board.

tradeup

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Got some really good closeups of the dots hopefully someone can tell me if they are suppose to be that way!

Attachments

• DSC_0090.jpg
    DSC_0090.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC_0091.jpg
    DSC_0091.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_0093.jpg
    DSC_0093.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_0094.jpg
    DSC_0094.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 64

LittleSnakey

Have you tried another color pallet, maybe try rgb colors. they print better for me on my vp540
I also use the pantone color librarys in flexi alot, hardly ever use cmyk.

ROLLIE540

Did you ever figure this out, I am having the same exact issues as you Tradeup, those pixel dots show up in all my prints too, any help or answers is greatly appreciated!