Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roland VS-540 question

Discussion in 'Roland' started by ScottyAdams, Aug 24, 2012.

1. ScottyAdams

ScottyAdams Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Hey guys, We have a fairly new Roland VS-540 (I love the thing). My question is...are there any downsides to not having the print head move all the way across the length of the printer. The Roland Tech recommended leaving it with it moving the length of the printer. However, This can drastically double the print time on some jobs. Have any of you played with this and what were your outcomes? Thanks again!

:thankyou:

Tags:
  2. anotherdog

anotherdog Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I have a VS 540, left it full length. its a slower machine but a dependable tractor.
    mess with it and it will probably bite you somehow.

3. tomence

tomence Very Active Member

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    The only downside is the drying of the ink. The full length gives the ink more time to dry, since this printer can be very fast you are gonna need an external dryer like the digi-dry to speed up the drying process if you are using a take up reel. You can do whatever you want with the printer, you won't break it.

4. scuba_steve2699

scuba_steve2699 Member

Dec 11, 2006
    not allowing full width scan can also cause banding as the feed calibration for most profiles is based on a full width scan.

5. tampaprinting

tampaprinting Tampa Printing

Apr 8, 2008
    Tampa
    We've been using the vs-540 for a year now, and we switched it to only pass what it's printing. It hasn't caused us any issues that we know of. It's a lot quicker when it doesn't have to pass all the way across each time. I forgot if the setting is on the machine or in Versaworks.

6. ScrapWrapper

ScrapWrapper Member

Feb 15, 2012
    I was wondering the same thing.

7. tomence

tomence Very Active Member

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    Not true. Whoever told you that, lied to you.

Since i got my RE which is the same as the VS but no cutter i have been printing full time for the last two months full width off, and never had any kind of banding. The only thing as i mentioned is the ink has not enough time to dry before it goes on the take up reel. An external dryer is the answer to that problem.

8. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    we have vp, xc and lej all run just the width of the material/print never noticed any issues from that

9. ProColorGraphics

ProColorGraphics Very Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    What do you think of your LEJ? I have been strongly considering one lately.

10. Andrew O

Andrew O Merchant Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    There are some media that will image better if each print pass has a little extra time to wet out and set up before the next one is dropped on top of it. For instance, we recommend full width scan with static cling material. With most materials though, you should be okay. If you start having banding and/or coalescence problems with a material, turn full width scan back on before trying anything else.

11. CS-SignSupply-TT

CS-SignSupply-TT Very Active Member

May 31, 2011
    Roland printers!

Matt Stark, if only you were CLOSER...rats!:clapping:

12. ProColorGraphics

ProColorGraphics Very Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Trust me, I wish I could get one from you!!

13. Rafael_Tech

Rafael_Tech New Member

Aug 3, 2012
    It all depends on how fast do you want your printer to be, i haven't seen any issues with full width off, just faster printing.

The setting is not on Versaworks its only on the printer menu.

14. cha88

cha88 Member

May 14, 2010
    Watertown
    my vs-640 has always ran just to the edge of what it is printing... i never knew it could be changed...