• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland VS-540 question

ScottyAdams

Hey guys, We have a fairly new Roland VS-540 (I love the thing). My question is...are there any downsides to not having the print head move all the way across the length of the printer. The Roland Tech recommended leaving it with it moving the length of the printer. However, This can drastically double the print time on some jobs. Have any of you played with this and what were your outcomes? Thanks again!

:thankyou:

anotherdog

I have a VS 540, left it full length. its a slower machine but a dependable tractor.
mess with it and it will probably bite you somehow.

tomence

Hey guys, We have a fairly new Roland VS-540 (I love the thing). My question is...are there any downsides to not having the print head move all the way across the length of the printer. The Roland Tech recommended leaving it with it moving the length of the printer. However, This can drastically double the print time on some jobs. Have any of you played with this and what were your outcomes? Thanks again!

The only downside is the drying of the ink. The full length gives the ink more time to dry, since this printer can be very fast you are gonna need an external dryer like the digi-dry to speed up the drying process if you are using a take up reel. You can do whatever you want with the printer, you won't break it.

scuba_steve2699

The only downside is the drying of the ink. The full length gives the ink more time to dry, since this printer can be very fast you are gonna need an external dryer like the digi-dry to speed up the drying process if you are using a take up reel. You can do whatever you want with the printer, you won't break it.

not allowing full width scan can also cause banding as the feed calibration for most profiles is based on a full width scan.

tampaprinting

Tampa Printing
We've been using the vs-540 for a year now, and we switched it to only pass what it's printing. It hasn't caused us any issues that we know of. It's a lot quicker when it doesn't have to pass all the way across each time. I forgot if the setting is on the machine or in Versaworks.

tomence

not allowing full width scan can also cause banding as the feed calibration for most profiles is based on a full width scan.

Not true. Whoever told you that, lied to you.

Since i got my RE which is the same as the VS but no cutter i have been printing full time for the last two months full width off, and never had any kind of banding. The only thing as i mentioned is the ink has not enough time to dry before it goes on the take up reel. An external dryer is the answer to that problem.

petepaz

we have vp, xc and lej all run just the width of the material/print never noticed any issues from that

Andrew O

Merchant Member
There are some media that will image better if each print pass has a little extra time to wet out and set up before the next one is dropped on top of it. For instance, we recommend full width scan with static cling material. With most materials though, you should be okay. If you start having banding and/or coalescence problems with a material, turn full width scan back on before trying anything else.

Rafael_Tech

It all depends on how fast do you want your printer to be, i haven't seen any issues with full width off, just faster printing.

The setting is not on Versaworks its only on the printer menu.

cha88

my vs-640 has always ran just to the edge of what it is printing... i never knew it could be changed...