• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sandy

Mosh

Jersey shore....Monday afternoon!!!

godzilla.jpg

Mainframe

Looks like the worst is over, didn't lose power at home or the shop (shop remote cameras are still up) so that's a good thing. I walked around the yard and all I found were a bunch of branches down so no big deal, but a LOT of wind last night for sure.

Marlene

we got lucky as the storm's path changed. the winds howled last night, but no major damage in my area. the schools all over the state are closed today just in case there are wires down on back roads. I watched the reports this morning on the weather channel and CNN and it looks like there were a lot of people who got slammed with this. hope all is OK where you are today.

J

john1

Wow, woke up to a customer asking how their order was coming along.

People are so ignorant.

We made it through without any major issues but man there is floods everywhere. I hope everyone's alright.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Wow, woke up to a customer asking how their order was coming along.

People are so ignorant.

wow, your sleeping with your clients....

i don't see what's so ignorant.... if you have power and your shops not under water, what's wrong with working????

J

john1

There is no power and UPS isn't making deliveries.

I woke up to the email rather, smartass.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just got into the shop after cutting down three trees that blew over last night at home..... by hand. They were only about 5" trunks. Power went out around 11pm and is still off at home. :covereyes: Back screened in porch outer wall support came loose and the awning almost went sailing. Heard this banging around 11pm, got dressed again and found the wall beginning to fail. Got some clamps, wood, bungees and began MacGyvering things back together..... in total darkness. Neighbor lost two semi large trees and his generator went out right after turning it on..... ahhh too bad. There are some here know why that comment is a good one. On my way in to the shop saw stuff down everywhere. I think it was a year to the day we had the storm where we lost power for 8 days. I hope we're not in for the same.

Like Marlene, we didn't get the predicted rain. Only minor flooding and horrendous wind til about 4 or so this morning. Did the damage control routine at home and then headed for the shop, where nothing has been disturbed except the creek out back was a river last night, but has gone down a little since then.

All-in-all, quite an event.

Oh yeah, a customer somehow got my home phone number and called me wanting me to fix her sign last night. I told her I wasn't going up in a bucket tonight for anyone. She got angry and said, she's gonna lose her sign. I said, I'm sorry, but no can do in weather like this. Got a call from her this morning and she told my wife the sign is now completely gone.... now what am I gonna do about it ??

My wife said you realize a hurricane just came through and we aren't allowed up in our bucket trucks for anyone or we won't be reimbursed by the insurance company should something go wrong. She said... why not ?? Well, they don;t see it as doing something stoopid as being insurable.

Last edited:

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
I lost power at my house last night around 11PM. My dad called me this morning to tell me that he has damage on his property. I went over there and he had three trees fall. One fell on his old car in the driveway and crushed it. One fell on the shed in the backyard and crushed it. The last tree was a 60 to 70' pine tree that managed to fall right between his house and the neighbors, a foot either way and one of the houses would be crushed. We have spoken to all of our employees and they are all safe as well. The Jersey shore got hit really hard but thankfully the last I heard there were no loss of life there. It is going to take months for that area to even start to get back to normal. I am not expecting any power at my house or my dad’s for at least a couple of days and we might be sleeping at the office since it does have power.

Mike F

No major damage around here as far as I know, lights at home flickered a few times last night but didn't lose power. Everything is fine here at the shop as well. Hope everyone made out OK.

Signsforwhile

Some shots from my street. We are LUCKY that all we lost was power. I'm sure we wont have it for at least a week since ConEd is focusing on getting Manhattan pumped out and powered up. Luckily we have a place to stay with our daughter. And luckily my shop has power. My heart goes out to the people in Jersey who really got hit with this.

IMG_20121030_074847.jpg

IMG_20121030_075027.jpg

IMG_20121030_094731.jpg

J

john1

Wow, those pics are crazy. The grass around that tree just peeled up like nothing.

I know it's a long stretch but i think those who are out of power for a extended period should have those days electric waived for this hard time. I know power companies don't care though and will charge you as normal.

I hope everyone is alright. We got power back yesterday and everything pretty much normal here.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wow, those pics are crazy. The grass around that tree just peeled up like nothing.

I know it's a long stretch but i think those who are out of power for a extended period should have those days electric waived for this hard time. I know power companies don't care though and will charge you as normal.

I hope everyone is alright. We got power back yesterday and everything pretty much normal here.

I don't quite understand that statement ??

Whether or not you have electricity, you don't pay for something if you're not using it. I had a generator going and I didn't pay the electric company a single penny and I had a lota electricity. However, I was paying the gas station to help me run my generator.

Did ya ever notice, if you go on vacation for a week..... most of your bills go down.... especially the longer you're away. It's just crazy how that works..... :banghead:

If you rent and your monthly rent check includes electric, you might have a point, but it seems to me one is very happy when the electricity is back and don't give a ding dong about a few days worth of loss. As long as you're healthy and basically unharmed, the electric bill is the least of your worries.

J

john1

I don't quite understand that statement ??

Whether or not you have electricity, you don't pay for something if you're not using it. I had a generator going and I didn't pay the electric company a single penny and I had a lota electricity. However, I was paying the gas station to help me run my generator.

Did ya ever notice, if you go on vacation for a week..... most of your bills go down.... especially the longer you're away. It's just crazy how that works..... :banghead:

If you rent and your monthly rent check includes electric, you might have a point, but it seems to me one is very happy when the electricity is back and don't give a ding dong about a few days worth of loss. As long as you're healthy and basically unharmed, the electric bill is the least of your worries.

Does everything F'n thread i post in have to have a novel book reply Gino?

I was simply saying those who are out of electricity and all for weeks upon weeks should be given a break since Sandy. I am not saying that's the only issue those people may be having. Geez, Try to make a simple point and be nice and this is what it turns into.

Not sure about where you live but everything adds up at the end of the month here. $400 bill here, $150 bill there adds up.