Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saturday Morning Jacka**

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Farmboy, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Farmboy

Farmboy Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Auburn, NY
    Closed sign is up, I'm cleaning screens and there goes the door buzzer (yes, my fault for not locking the door). "I know you're closed, but I need some vinyl on my truck." "Right now? I can't do that right now." "My other sign guy did it anytime I needed it, but he's out of business." "You need to set up a time for that." "So you can't do it?" "No." Pissed look on his face cause it's my fault he's a **** poor planner and out the door he goes. As he goes I look outside and he's got little kids bouncing around in his truck, wtf is wrong with people.

Tags:
  2. ThinkRight

ThinkRight Active Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Atlanta Ga
    You should never , never make a customer mad.
    Word of mouth , maybe were he works needs a sign, his brother-inlaw is a buyer for a big company ?
    I would have said to him come back in a couple of hours and I can try and help when I finish the custom job you are working on.
    If he comes back, make it worth your time and effort + the cost of a good single malt scotch, and all is good.

3. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    BS! saturday is YOUR time not his. Screw p!ssing him off. If farmboy was there cleaning up than he should not go out of his way to please some pr!ck off the street wanting something NOW

4. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    I agree. If the CLOSED sign was up, Farmboy was closed.
    Yes he should have locked his door, though.
    Many times I have had that same guy with the same kids come here, wanting a stick family sticker NOW and *****ing that their last guy was either out of business or too busy to deal with them.
    Rarely do these people even know someone who is employed, let alone a buyer for a big company.
    I would have politely explained that I was closed, as per the sign, and had him schedule an appointment.
    Love....Jill

5. Locals Find!

Locals Find! Very Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Myers
    I would have priced the job out according to my Weekend rates (Double M-F prices on Saturday, Triple on Sunday) and if he bought well, I would have had some new tires on my truck this weekend.

Sometimes, opportunity comes knocking when its least expected and least convenient. Will you be friendly and answer the door or, are you going to tell em to go away??

A positive attitude and a bit of patience can go a long way sometimes. You always have the option of firing them later.

6. ThinkRight

ThinkRight Active Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Atlanta Ga
    That is what I was trying to say.
    How hard would it have been to say ? "I am in the middle of a very big custom job and can't do it now"
    (even if you are not)
    To anyone on here,how many little jobs turn into more work later .
    You have every right to turn him down, it is how you do it that matters .

7. VolunteerSign

VolunteerSign Member

Jun 5, 2012
    I didn't see anywhere in the op where Farmboy beat the guy over the head with a stick and physically threw him out the door. He just needed to vent...thus his post. Better to vent here than to the ignorant ***wipe with the kids bouncing around lol

8. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario

For me, I would guess less than 1%

9. Farmboy

Farmboy Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Auburn, NY
    I hate defending myself...so I won't. It was a nice quiet day here. Got some much needed work done and took a few orders from some more polite customers.

10. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    If I were at HOME, then probably not. If I were at the shop, then most likely I would have done the work. But I hate cleaning, and love making money. I would have rationalized it out by telling myself that I could clean later. Although later, I would have been *****in at the *** that bothered me.

No defending yourself here Tom. I don't think you were wrong. That just how I would have handled it.......probably.

EDIT: Got to thinking......You didn't have time to make some money, yet you have the time to post about it on here.
    :Oops: :Big Laugh

11. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    :pops_blinking: I get confused. What about Post #18 in this thread?

12. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Just think you could have charged him enough to have someone else clean while you watched drinking a cold one:banghead::omg::Big Laugh:toasting:

13. thinksigns

thinksigns SnowFlake

Nov 28, 2010
    So this random woman comes in just now and asks if we do those golf sponsor signs and how quick can we do them. We close in a hour and I don't feel like staying late. Before I can say I'm sorry we can't get it today, she says if it helps she can pick up at nine on Monday. I get her info entered into the database and it turns out she is an associate athletic director for the U of Memphis.

14. john1

john1 Guest

I understand not wanting to do work because the closed sign was up and all. I guess it really depends on if you want the business or not. Me, I was doing production on 15 3x2' yard signs for 2 hours this morning, you know in the zone and all and had a guy call me for a simple back window lettering job. I told him i would be right over as he lived a block down the road.

Went over and he turned out to be a referral from a good customer of mine. I am taking care of him next week.

I would have just said, I can take care of you first thing Monday, I am closing up shop right now. Simple as that.

15. signage

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    John1 how mch did you make on those 15 3x2' signs?

16. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    I have to say, it all depends on my mood and workload at the time, If i'm working on the weekend to meet some deadline and I'm going full tilt, I'm going to tell them to email me on Monday and i'll schedule a time to talk.

If i'm in just cleaning, or just doing some random stuff, I'll take the job, and charge a bit of a premium for it.

17. john1

john1 Guest

I don't believe that is any of your business, Sir.

18. signage

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Then why would you ask Jill that same question?

19. john1

john1 Guest

Because painting isn't that big of a art form around here and i think it's amazing what she can do. Just was wondering what the market for good solid art like that goes for in these days with digital printing everywhere. Geesh.

20. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    :pops_blinking: Kids! Behave!

21. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Never be afraid of what someone will say about your business. If everyone listened to a single, unfounded complaint from some jerk we would all be out of business. And I am talking every business on the face of the earth.

Farmboy is right. Closed is closed.

Remember this kids, while cash is great when you are laying in that hospital bed dieing you are not gonna say: "Gee I wish I woulda worked more".