• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Saturday Morning Jacka**

Farmboy

Closed sign is up, I'm cleaning screens and there goes the door buzzer (yes, my fault for not locking the door). "I know you're closed, but I need some vinyl on my truck." "Right now? I can't do that right now." "My other sign guy did it anytime I needed it, but he's out of business." "You need to set up a time for that." "So you can't do it?" "No." Pissed look on his face cause it's my fault he's a **** poor planner and out the door he goes. As he goes I look outside and he's got little kids bouncing around in his truck, wtf is wrong with people.

ThinkRight

Closed sign is up, I'm cleaning screens and there goes the door buzzer (yes, my fault for not locking the door). "I know you're closed, but I need some vinyl on my truck." "Right now? I can't do that right now." "My other sign guy did it anytime I needed it, but he's out of business." "You need to set up a time for that." "So you can't do it?" "No." Pissed look on his face cause it's my fault he's a **** poor planner and out the door he goes. As he goes I look outside and he's got little kids bouncing around in his truck, wtf is wrong with people.

You should never , never make a customer mad.
Word of mouth , maybe were he works needs a sign, his brother-inlaw is a buyer for a big company ?
I would have said to him come back in a couple of hours and I can try and help when I finish the custom job you are working on.
If he comes back, make it worth your time and effort + the cost of a good single malt scotch, and all is good.

visual800

You should never , never make a customer mad.
Word of mouth , maybe were he works needs a sign, his brother-inlaw is a buyer for a big company ?
I would have said to him come back in a couple of hours and I can try and help when I finish the custom job you are working on.
If he comes back, make it worth your time and effort + the cost of a good single malt scotch, and all is good.

BS! saturday is YOUR time not his. Screw p!ssing him off. If farmboy was there cleaning up than he should not go out of his way to please some pr!ck off the street wanting something NOW

Jillbeans

I agree. If the CLOSED sign was up, Farmboy was closed.
Yes he should have locked his door, though.
Many times I have had that same guy with the same kids come here, wanting a stick family sticker NOW and bitching that their last guy was either out of business or too busy to deal with them.
Rarely do these people even know someone who is employed, let alone a buyer for a big company.
I would have politely explained that I was closed, as per the sign, and had him schedule an appointment.
Love....Jill

Locals Find!

I would have priced the job out according to my Weekend rates (Double M-F prices on Saturday, Triple on Sunday) and if he bought well, I would have had some new tires on my truck this weekend.

Sometimes, opportunity comes knocking when its least expected and least convenient. Will you be friendly and answer the door or, are you going to tell em to go away??

A positive attitude and a bit of patience can go a long way sometimes. You always have the option of firing them later.

ThinkRight

I would have priced the job out according to my Weekend rates (Double M-F prices on Saturday, Triple on Sunday) and if he bought well, I would have had some new tires on my truck this weekend.

Sometimes, opportunity comes knocking when its least expected and least convenient. Will you be friendly and answer the door or, are you going to tell em to go away??

A positive attitude and a bit of patience can go a long way sometimes. You always have the option of firing them later.

That is what I was trying to say.
How hard would it have been to say ? "I am in the middle of a very big custom job and can't do it now"
(even if you are not)
To anyone on here,how many little jobs turn into more work later .
You have every right to turn him down, it is how you do it that matters .

VolunteerSign

I didn't see anywhere in the op where Farmboy beat the guy over the head with a stick and physically threw him out the door. He just needed to vent...thus his post. Better to vent here than to the ignorant ***wipe with the kids bouncing around lol

Farmboy

I hate defending myself...so I won't. It was a nice quiet day here. Got some much needed work done and took a few orders from some more polite customers.

skyhigh

If I were at HOME, then probably not. If I were at the shop, then most likely I would have done the work. But I hate cleaning, and love making money. I would have rationalized it out by telling myself that I could clean later. Although later, I would have been bitchin at the *** that bothered me.

No defending yourself here Tom. I don't think you were wrong. That just how I would have handled it.......probably.

EDIT: Got to thinking......You didn't have time to make some money, yet you have the time to post about it on here.
:Oops: :Big Laugh

signage

If I were at HOME, then probably not. If I were at the shop, then most likely I would have done the work. But I hate cleaning, and love making money. I would have rationalized it out by telling myself that I could clean later. Although later, I would have been bitchin at the *** that bothered me.

No defending yourself here Tom. I don't think you were wrong. That just how I would have handled it.......probably.

EDIT: Got to thinking......You didn't have time to make some money, yet you have the time to post about it on here.
:Oops: :Big Laugh

Just think you could have charged him enough to have someone else clean while you watched drinking a cold one:banghead::omg::Big Laugh:toasting:

thinksigns

SnowFlake
So this random woman comes in just now and asks if we do those golf sponsor signs and how quick can we do them. We close in a hour and I don't feel like staying late. Before I can say I'm sorry we can't get it today, she says if it helps she can pick up at nine on Monday. I get her info entered into the database and it turns out she is an associate athletic director for the U of Memphis.

J

john1

I understand not wanting to do work because the closed sign was up and all. I guess it really depends on if you want the business or not. Me, I was doing production on 15 3x2' yard signs for 2 hours this morning, you know in the zone and all and had a guy call me for a simple back window lettering job. I told him i would be right over as he lived a block down the road.

Went over and he turned out to be a referral from a good customer of mine. I am taking care of him next week.

I would have just said, I can take care of you first thing Monday, I am closing up shop right now. Simple as that.

CanuckSigns

I have to say, it all depends on my mood and workload at the time, If i'm working on the weekend to meet some deadline and I'm going full tilt, I'm going to tell them to email me on Monday and i'll schedule a time to talk.

If i'm in just cleaning, or just doing some random stuff, I'll take the job, and charge a bit of a premium for it.

J

john1

Because painting isn't that big of a art form around here and i think it's amazing what she can do. Just was wondering what the market for good solid art like that goes for in these days with digital printing everywhere. Geesh.

rjssigns

Never be afraid of what someone will say about your business. If everyone listened to a single, unfounded complaint from some jerk we would all be out of business. And I am talking every business on the face of the earth.

Farmboy is right. Closed is closed.

Remember this kids, while cash is great when you are laying in that hospital bed dieing you are not gonna say: "Gee I wish I woulda worked more".