• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Saturday Morning Jacka**

J

john1

Never be afraid of what someone will say about your business. If everyone listened to a single, unfounded complaint from some jerk we would all be out of business. And I am talking every business on the face of the earth.

Farmboy is right. Closed is closed.

Remember this kids, while cash is great when you are laying in that hospital bed dieing you are not gonna say: "Gee I wish I woulda worked more".

:thumb: Good post!

As long as bills are paid and a roof is over my head i am more than happy. There was a time where i thought money would buy happiness and honestly it's temporary because in the end the money isn't going with you. I'm here to make a good profit and live life to the fullest.

ThinkRight

So this random woman comes in just now and asks if we do those golf sponsor signs and how quick can we do them. We close in a hour and I don't feel like staying late. Before I can say I'm sorry we can't get it today, she says if it helps she can pick up at nine on Monday. I get her info entered into the database and it turns out she is an associate athletic director for the U of Memphis.

There you go.
A woman randomly walks in and it could very well lead to a very important contact, with possibly very big jobs in the future ......hmmmmm?
I hope you told her to go fly a kite and call Vista-Print !

cdiesel

Same goes for if you're busy. We've been remarkably busy for a long time. People come in with all kinds of attitude because we can't drop everything we've got going on to deal with their job right then and there. When we offer to take their info and a deposit, and get designs back to them within a day, they get all pissy can't believe we won't take care of them right now.

How fair is it to your other clients who ordered ahead of time and are expecting their products soon? Should you stop what you're doing on their projects to handle the guy who waited till the last minute?

How fair is it to you and your family/friends who you've made commitments to if you blow them off to stay late?

Pat Whatley

This one time I was leaving the shop at midnight after putting in a 24 hour day. This guy pulls up out front in a 1974 Mercury with leaky valve covers and a busted out rear window. He told me he needed a peeing Calvin sticker to stick in the replacement window he was getting the next morning. He said he normally got them from the sticker guy at the swap meet but that guy was closed because he was in prison for running a meth lab. Because he's the customer and the customer is always right I went back in, turned on the power, turned the computers back on, went online and found a peeing Calvin, vectorized it, cut him a decal and made him happy.

While I was cutting it he asked me for a price on lettering all 950 of his company's vans and wanted to know about what kind of discount he'd get on ordering 1000 banners in the future but he just wants one at the discounted price now to get him started plus he's got a racecar and he'll let me put my name on the fender if I sticker it up for free but it'll be worth it because everybody at the track will see it and he'll tell them how cool I am and I'll be raking in the big bucks.

You losers keep running your businesses the way you want to...me, I'm gonna be rich.

Pat Whatley

Peeing on a Jeff Gordon 24. He didn't want to pay extra for that, I threw it in as a bonus! We also Armor-alled his tires and sent flowers to his wife while we were at it. Anything to keep the customer happy!

Closed sign is up, I'm cleaning screens and there goes the door buzzer (yes, my fault for not locking the door). "I know you're closed, but I need some vinyl on my truck." "Right now? I can't do that right now." "My other sign guy did it anytime I needed it, but he's out of business." "You need to set up a time for that." "So you can't do it?" "No." Pissed look on his face cause it's my fault he's a **** poor planner and out the door he goes. As he goes I look outside and he's got little kids bouncing around in his truck, wtf is wrong with people.

That's why he is out of business, most likely,because he couldn't plan his time properly. (Meaning business people need free time to be creative!)

ironchef

Morning to all... i have a story from yesterday. I open Saturdays to take care of stuff i couldn't get done Friday. So there i was, taking care of two customers i had, they had appointments since Friday. One from Thursday. Then, in walks a guy. Not waiting his turn. Just starts speaking to me (i hate that),interrupting my customers.... OK i let that slide. He said he needed a logo made up, and showed me his rough draft. In my head i figured it would take me an hour. Plus an hour to take care of my custies. Of coarse, he wanted it now. Didn't want to wait. I told him 2 to 3 hours is the best i could do. And then walked out. I have no problem letting that job slide away. Just saying some people out there are ignorant and selfish. So why should i bend over backwards for someone who doesn't even value what we do here.

Jillbeans

I usually don't even answer my phone on weekends.
My phone rang just now, and my caller ID showed it was the store I just ran into for groceries yesterday. I figured I'd written a bad check or something!
So with my heart pounding, I answered the phone.
They ordered three signs.
:)
PS Nice touch on the flowers, Pat.

ironchef

Nice. I'm all for picking up extra work. If i have the time. I'm on my way to the shop. Time to clean.... I'm getting ready for a cjv30 delivery next week! Woohoo!!

Scott Reynolds

" "My other sign guy did it anytime I needed it, but he's out of business."

First rule of Sign Club, never put yellow on a white back ground! :Big Laugh

This guy pulls up out front in a 1974 Mercury with leaky valve covers and a busted out rear window... He said he normally got them from the sticker guy at the swap meet but that guy was closed because he was in prison for running a meth lab.

While I was cutting it he asked me for a price on lettering all 950 of his company's vans and wanted to know about what kind of discount he'd get on ordering 1000 banners in the future but he just wants one at the discounted price now to get him started plus he's got a racecar and he'll let me put my name on the fender if I sticker it up for free but it'll be worth it because everybody at the track will see it and he'll tell them how cool I am and I'll be raking in the big bucks.

You losers keep running your businesses the way you want to...me, I'm gonna be rich.

Funny! :U Rock:

Last edited:

Techman

you left the friggin door unlocked.
he walked in expecting to get some work done.
He left angry.
Your fault.
deal!!

ironchef

I had my door unlocked. Plus the light on. I gave him the timeline for completion. And he didn't want to wait. Not my fault they want it now..i had two clients that waited patiently due to rain.

J

john1

I usually don't even answer my phone on weekends.
My phone rang just now, and my caller ID showed it was the store I just ran into for groceries yesterday. I figured I'd written a bad check or something!
So with my heart pounding, I answered the phone.
They ordered three signs.
:)
PS Nice touch on the flowers, Pat.

:thumb:

Goes to show that you never know who may need your services. Who would have thought ya know.

I guess working on the weekends is all dependent on your lifestyle. If you have kids and all i am sure it's different than someone who doesn't have kids and may just have 2 lazy days a week they take off. I used to not want to work weekends and i generally don't but if someone calls i am all ears if i am not involved in anything to serve that customer the best way possible.

ironchef

If i didn't have the two customers i would have sat him down and started working on his logo, after giving him a quote of coarse...

cdiesel

My cell phone rang at 8:15 this morning.. Guy said he got my number from his buddy who we "did his car". He's got a Camaro and needs to put SS stripes on it for a car show tonight. Told him we wouldn't be able to help him out today. He got all pissed off. Ahh well..

I wonder what he'd say if his boss told him he had to drop everything he was doing on his Sunday and go to work for 90 minutes because some jerk-off didn't plan correctly.

J

john1

My cell phone rang at 8:15 this morning.. Guy said he got my number from his buddy who we "did his car". He's got a Camaro and needs to put SS stripes on it for a car show tonight. Told him we wouldn't be able to help him out today. He got all pissed off. Ahh well..

I wonder what he'd say if his boss told him he had to drop everything he was doing on his Sunday and go to work for 90 minutes because some jerk-off didn't plan correctly.

Handled very well, helping a customer and dropping everything changes the entire game.

If you want me to drop everything to help you, I will either decline the business or jack the price up to be well worth it. All depends on the customers attitude

ironchef

True that. If they are patient. And willing to wait a couple hours for a custom logo. And production. Ill work them. But not with someone expecting the world, and immediate service.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
This one time I was leaving the shop at midnight after putting in a 24 hour day. This guy pulls up out front in a 1974 Mercury with leaky valve covers and a busted out rear window. He told me he needed a peeing Calvin sticker to stick in the replacement window he was getting the next morning. He said he normally got them from the sticker guy at the swap meet but that guy was closed because he was in prison for running a meth lab. Because he's the customer and the customer is always right I went back in, turned on the power, turned the computers back on, went online and found a peeing Calvin, vectorized it, cut him a decal and made him happy.

:clapping:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me

Pat if you take walk ins 24/7 how do you find time to take care of your Nigerian banner customers?

wayne k
guam usa