• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Saturday Morning Jacka**

Farmboy

EDIT: Got to thinking......You didn't have time to make some money, yet you have the time to post about it on here.
:Oops: :Big Laugh

Busted! Right now I should be coating those screens I was cleaning, yet here I be.
Well this turned into more than I expected and I should have given some history, but then that would have ruined this thread. The guy that stopped is an old customer we've printed shirts for and before he found the low baller, signs and truck graphics. Sat morning was just his MO, walk in and almost demand that his work gets done right now cause he doesn't have the time to wait. I guess that even though I've been on this board for quite a few years I've never said much and therefore am still fairly unknown. I come from a Ag background, worked with my folks on their dairy farm since I was old enough to pick up a bale of hay. I've been doing this full time for the past 11 years and doing well. As for my customer service skills...when I was still doing this out of my basement a customer had a flat tire in my driveway, I pulled the tire, took it to the farm shop and repaired it. My birthday a few years ago I stayed open helping a customer while my family waited for me for a birthday dinner. I've waited here countless hours for people that have only needed one of this or that and were driving 40 or more miles out of there way. (son of a beach...here I am defending myself :smile:) I guess my long winded point is, same as most here, I will bust my butt for almost anyone. But if you come in here with the attitude that you're entitled and your time is more important then mine, I'm not going to be very inclined to help you out. Those people just bring a cloud with them that darkens the mood of me and my employees. I'm glad I have this place to come and vent a little to people who for the most part understand.

Jillbeans

Your comment about waiting countless hours hit home with me. I wonder how many minutes of my life I've waited for people who were supposed to stop by yet never even bothered to call and let me know they weren't coming? What about those people for whom I did make the time, who were in an all-fired hurry to get their signs, who leave them just sit for weeks after I busted my butt to accommodate them?
This is still my shop, as paltry as it and the work it's bringing in is, and I am still the decision maker. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut.
And I totally understand about making the time to whine about these so-called customers. It's worth it to me.

TheSnowman

I had a guy come in and want a quote on 50 yard signs. Had no clue what he wanted on them, and just kept saying "I just want a yard sign...HOW MUCH IS 50!" Kept getting more and more intense, then he says, "I need something that pops. Can you do chrome?!" I told him I can do whatever he wants, but chrome on a yard sign is not really ever done. Anyway, I told him I'd have to figure up a price and let him know in an hour or so when I could sit down and figure it up. He said, "YOU CAN'T DO IT NOW!? LET'S GO!" and grabs his girlfriend and walks out the door.

They then proceed to say "do you do magnets?" I told them we did, gave them the price...and as he's walking out the door he says "Go ahead on those magnets, I'm gonna need them soon"...gave me no information about them, no business card, no contact info, no nothin. That dude had my blood pressure through the roof.

Farmboy

Well he just came back. He wanted both doors and a line of text on the box. Quoted $190, he laughed, turned and left. Before he got to the door I asked him if so and so did his last truck, Yep, for $45 bucks. So I said to him, and that's why he's out of business. He had nothing to say.

J

john1

I had a guy come in and want a quote on 50 yard signs. Had no clue what he wanted on them, and just kept saying "I just want a yard sign...HOW MUCH IS 50!" Kept getting more and more intense, then he says, "I need something that pops. Can you do chrome?!" I told him I can do whatever he wants, but chrome on a yard sign is not really ever done. Anyway, I told him I'd have to figure up a price and let him know in an hour or so when I could sit down and figure it up. He said, "YOU CAN'T DO IT NOW!? LET'S GO!" and grabs his girlfriend and walks out the door.

They then proceed to say "do you do magnets?" I told them we did, gave them the price...and as he's walking out the door he says "Go ahead on those magnets, I'm gonna need them soon"...gave me no information about them, no business card, no contact info, no nothin. That dude had my blood pressure through the roof.

:omg: Wow. I swear some people are off their meds lol

gabagoo

:U Rock:
This one time I was leaving the shop at midnight after putting in a 24 hour day. This guy pulls up out front in a 1974 Mercury with leaky valve covers and a busted out rear window. He told me he needed a peeing Calvin sticker to stick in the replacement window he was getting the next morning. He said he normally got them from the sticker guy at the swap meet but that guy was closed because he was in prison for running a meth lab. Because he's the customer and the customer is always right I went back in, turned on the power, turned the computers back on, went online and found a peeing Calvin, vectorized it, cut him a decal and made him happy.

While I was cutting it he asked me for a price on lettering all 950 of his company's vans and wanted to know about what kind of discount he'd get on ordering 1000 banners in the future but he just wants one at the discounted price now to get him started plus he's got a racecar and he'll let me put my name on the fender if I sticker it up for free but it'll be worth it because everybody at the track will see it and he'll tell them how cool I am and I'll be raking in the big bucks.

You losers keep running your businesses the way you want to...me, I'm gonna be rich.

Deaton Design

If someone came into my shop and wanted a logo done in an hour, Id politely tell them that logos run anywhere from 300 to 1000 bucks. If they want one done in an hour, Id have to charge a rush charge. Logo designs and signs themselves have been bastardized to this point. Customers dont appreciate the fact of them anymore. So many people out there will do a logo for 50 bucks, or two doors for 45 bucks, that they think we all are a bunch of hacks with no talent, and will do anything they say, anytime they say. We arent in business to serve them, we are in business to HELP them. Our services help their business by identifying them and making them more visible. We arent slaves. We dont work for them. We DO work for them. Its a big difference. Any customer thats worth doing work for and keeping will understand that. We all have lives away from the shops we work in. I think you guys handled each situation very well. Probably better than I would have.

Pat Whatley

That's the kind of guy that when you give him a price for 50 tells you to go ahead and make him one and then gets pissy that the price is higher and wants to spend five minutes convincing you that you should give it to him for the cheaper price because he's gonna need all kinds of work and will give you all his business.

And in the back of your mind when he tells you he's gonna give you "all of his business" you really want to double the price on him so he doesn't.

TheSnowman

Oh, he's getting a mega high price if he ever comes back in here. He referenced on of his "buddies" and it's my worst customer to date. I've posted several posts on here just about this other "one customer" and I could tell he was gonna be exactly the same. If someone doesn't want to wait a few minutes for you to figure them up an accurate price, they don't want the order anyway. He will be PAY UP FRONT 100% for sure though.

Border

The way I treat anyone, customer, potential customer or whoever...is directly related to how they treat me also. If they come in or call with attitude, especially after hours, they will probably NOT have a warm & fuzzy customer experience feeling by the time the conversation ends. Doesn't matter what size company they are with or who they know, once they have made me feel like my time is not possibly as valuable as theirs, I would most likely not want to work with them in the future anyways.

I am pretty sure this is how this situation probably went down for Farmboy too. Screw those kind of people, they just go around spreading their dark clouds over everyone whose path they cross and chances are most of the people who know them already don't pay much attention when they go around bad mouthing someone else.

I think I actually kind of enjoy blowing these kind of people off. Now there's your warm & fuzzy feeling right there!

2 semis pull up at 8:00 this mornig and I go out and start installing decals i cut last weeks, rt side has a lower window so I make it fit that side which make s the let side off set but still looks good and they leave.. at 10:00 3 more truck show up and as I start the 2 nd one the guy says can't you center those on the door? I told him no because of the window and he goes into a big speel about having to look at it(he's just a driver) I hand him the decals and tell to do it his F-ing self..... He turned and walked away and never said another word...

Deaton Design

2 semis pull up at 8:00 this mornig and I go out and start installing decals i cut last weeks, rt side has a lower window so I make it fit that side which make s the let side off set but still looks good and they leave.. at 10:00 3 more truck show up and as I start the 2 nd one the guy says can't you center those on the door? I told him no because of the window and he goes into a big speel about having to look at it(he's just a driver) I hand him the decals and tell to do it his F-ing self..... He turned and walked away and never said another word...

Love it!

within reason I will do anything and everything that I can to keep a customer or a potential customer happy.
The Customer stated he needed vinyl on his truck 'right now' are we talking he needed a full vehicle wrap or a simple set of dot numbers or simply business name and phone number? could have turned out to be a quick, painless, profitable project and a new loyal client for going above and beyond to help him out of what he felt was an important situation.

In my experience those customers go out of there way to tell everyone how well you treated them...this will probably be one of those who tells everyone how poorly he felt he was treated (right or wrong) it doesn't matter..word of mouth is a powerful advertising/marketing tool that should not be overlooked.

many years ago I had this guy agressively pounding on my locked door on a saturday morning, it was clear that he had seen me in there so I really couldn't ignor him and I answered the door.

he looked like a homeless man, hair was wirey, pointing in every direction, hadnt shaved in days, smelled like...stink., was wearing ripped and stained sweat pants and to top it all off he had on mismatched boat shoes one was white and one was tan...honest to god, I truly thought he was a bum.

reluctantly I let him into my office and he told me that he needed some boat lettering TODAY so that he could get underway, which didn't make much sense to me because in Oregon (where I lived at the time) you simply need contrasting color, painted or vinyl lettering with your registration decal for the year and you are good to go....UNLESS your vessel carrries a very large amount of fuel in which case your boat name is your registration through the coast guard (off the top of my head I can not remember the amount of fuel but I want to say it is over 2500 gallons..but again that is just a guess..it's a LOT of fuel and obviously if you have a vessel that is registered with the coast guard it most likely a rather expensive 'boat').

This one turned out to be worth $150,000,000 (one hundred and fifty MILLION dollars !!!!) and could not leave it's berth until it had been lettered.

Over the next 5 years we lettered 3 other yacths for this customer, each bigger and more expensive than the one before. We did all of the signs for his businesses ( he owned privately owned luxury hospital as well as multiple medical clinics and various other ventures), not to mention lettering and wrapping an extremely large collection of company vehicles...

and in all honestly I considered acting like i didnt hear him knocking on the door because I truly believed it was a homeless man and I never enjoy telling them 'NO' and always hand them a couple bucks or walk with them to the nearest restaurant and buy them a sandwich or something...haha...little did I know, I would have missed out on a SUBSTANTIAL amount of income and referrals.

but to finish this story, we did eventually end up firing this client. Everytime he called my office he never said, hello, goodbye (which I can handle) but he lacked any and all attempts at common courtesty. Every time he called or showed up at our facility one of the receptionists would end up in tears and for all of the money in th world i would not allow anyone to treat my staff with complete and total lack of courtesy, everyone was kind to him, accomodating above and beyond to every demand and wish of his (our comapny motto was "service sets us a part" and we truly lived it) but he abused it and treated everyone like they were his servants...I don't care how busy your schedule is you can always end a phone call with a simple "good bye" or "have a nice day" but he'd finish his sentence and hang up the phone...and that was about the kindest he ever was.

it shocked him beyond belief when we fired him and at least monthly for at least a year he tried to place orders with us and was repeatedly reminded that we wished him well and would happily refer him to another shop...he got served a nice helping of humble pie.

Please don't misunderstand me, I don;t recommend this as a normal way of operating a business, I value all of my clients and go out of my way to accomodate them in any way that I possibly can, I can not be successful without them and want to do everything in my power to ensure that they are profitable and successful..but this guy was a special case...a very special case and sometimes it is very empowering, and a great stress release to simply end those relationships, professionally and politely of course.

petepaz

i would normally try to help the guy out but if he is being a jerk then can't help you or just give him a really high price. i have one customer who knows i work late and he will call at like 7 or 8 or 9 at night. i don't even answer the phone anymore. we have a company shut down twice a year and the one time i told him we are closed that week and his reply.."are you really closed or are you just telling people that" so i said yes i will be here i just didn't feel like doing your job and then i laughed like i was joking with him but i wasn't...haha

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've had this happen with the door locked and unlocked. If I'm there, like Just Another Sign..... I'll probably answerer it. However, I have a slightly different approach.

When the person comes in, they usually start blurting out what they need and want and I tell them.... hold on there a moment, I'm the cleaning guy. I have nothing to do with sales or quotes. Let me take your name and some information and I'll call the owner and see what he can do for you. Once they tell me some of the particulars, if it's something I want to tackle, I'll just tell them, Okay, I can do this for you. I was just making sure.

It's a way of screening your own calls or in person customers. If you want to keep them in the dark, just tell them, you'll pass the information on and get back to them if you want. Heck, I do this with some phone calls. When they ask for the owner or whatever, I'll ask them some questions and then tell them I'll get the owner and then start over again.

ThinkRight

I've had this happen with the door locked and unlocked. If I'm there, like Just Another Sign..... I'll probably answerer it. However, I have a slightly different approach.

When the person comes in, they usually start blurting out what they need and want and I tell them.... hold on there a moment, I'm the cleaning guy. I have nothing to do with sales or quotes. Let me take your name and some information and I'll call the owner and see what he can do for you. Once they tell me some of the particulars, if it's something I want to tackle, I'll just tell them, Okay, I can do this for you. I was just making sure.

It's a way of screening your own calls or in person customers. If you want to keep them in the dark, just tell them, you'll pass the information on and get back to them if you want. Heck, I do this with some phone calls. When they ask for the owner or whatever, I'll ask them some questions and then tell them I'll get the owner and then start over again.

:goodpost:
That is how you handle people !

FS-Keith

Soo you could have either doubled your rate(weekend work) or told the guy you were too busy cleaning, then proceed to post about what a p***k he was on the internet. Good call

Last edited by a moderator:

cdiesel

I will bust my butt for almost anyone. But if you come in here with the attitude that you're entitled and your time is more important then mine, I'm not going to be very inclined to help you out.

This pretty much sums it up!

The customer simply explaining what they need, and then ASKING if it's possible can make a huge difference versus demanding.