• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Save your scrap

signmeup

Good Grief! Captain Obvious strikes again!

Here's another "great" tip.... if you cut off a 2 foot square from a 4 x 8 sheet of HDU, don't throw away the leftover sheet! Do like I do........ save it and use it for the next job! This has saved me a ton of money over the years.....

GypsyGraphics

@ Bob... you need to join the late night crew.

@ Stacy... so do you, next time you peek in, i'm gonna lock the door behind you.

oh where we... yes... umm recycling... recycling is a good thing

Fitch

Here's two tips for the "newbies" of which we all were at some point in time.

Tip 1: It might be "better" to structure the post as a question rather than "this is what I am telling you, and also... make it personal.

Example: "When I use for example a 24" roll of vinyl and cut out something 12". I cut off the remaining piece I didn't use and save it. This can be reused as a back up if I make a mistake, or used to cut smaller decals and stuff.

I use a ruler or something straight and try to make the cut as straight as possible so it doesn't go off alignment too bad in the plotter.

It's FREE vinyl! It's already paid for, so I can do another job and not pay for more vinyl.

When storing it, I roll it up very loosely and put a piece of masking tape on it, and throw it in my scrap bin, every time I go to do a small job, I first look at my scraps.

So... how do you handle your offcuts?

Tip 2: I lay two 600mm x 900mm pieces of Coroplast side by side and tape the join with duct tape. I then "close it up" book style and tape the outside join.

All small offcuts get placed inside my "book" and slid under on of the shelving units.

Can't tell you how many times I have gone to my "book" to cut a single letter out of a colour that I totally used all I had bought.

So.... there.

Cheers - G

mikey-Oh

Tip 2: I lay two 600mm x 900mm pieces of Coroplast side by side and tape the join with duct tape. I then "close it up" book style and tape the outside join.

All small offcuts get placed inside my "book" and slid under on of the shelving units.

nice tip, thanks!

Baz

I have a space under one of my tables where i store scraps. Usually scraps of 2-4 sq ft of material. I use some to cut out stripes and date/phone number changes on old signs. I also use my scraps to plot out shapoes i need to cut with a jig saw. I also use my scraps to roll new paint rollers onto.This takes out the lint and dust off of new rollers and makes for a nice paint finish!

Once in a blue moon i do a "clean up" of scraps because i just cant use up all of it.

I also like the vinyl/SM angle. Hope to find a girl willing to try in one day. Mmmmmmmm just thinking about the smell of 2 mil 3M vinyl onto naked skin makes me all tingly ... lol!

iSign

Good Grief! Captain Obvious strikes again!

Here's another "great" tip.... if you cut off a 2 foot square from a 4 x 8 sheet of HDU, don't throw away the leftover sheet! Do like I do........ save it and use it for the next job! This has saved me a ton of money over the years.....

so, is it not another strike from Captain Obvious that seasoned veterans are able to pick holes in the posts of, & pick fights with the likes of our newest members just starting off on this great career journey?

I mean I am as guilty as the next guy, but you guys who want to arm wrestle with your minds, as some form stupid animal trick.. why not pick a more formidable foe?

For those who missed it, my new "peace sign" avatar, and my revised "OM" signature was a reminder to myself to quite being an ass once in a while... but here comes this opportunity to judge half the people like me on this thread, and damn... I just couldn't resist :omg:

Sticker Dude

I save the vinyl as well I am always doing 1 or 2 yard signs and I am able to use the scraps from them Plus at the end of the year I end up giving the boxes full of scrap vinyl to the local kindergarten school for their hobby projects They love it when all those colors come in :)

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
For those who missed it, my new "peace sign" avatar, and my revised "OM" signature was a reminder to myself to quite being an ass once in a while... :omg:

Doug if you manage a 50% reduction would you consider yourself
"HalfAss'd"?
:help

wayne k
guam usa

SignManiac

The ladies can use the high performance scraps as an inexpensive aternative instead of wax to trim up those bikini lines! One-rip-strips...

iSign

Doug if you manage a 50% reduction would you consider yourself
"HalfAss'd"?
:help

wayne k
guam usa

your humor is always the best!! :ROFLMAO:

Now Showing: HalfAss'd attitude reduction graphics! ...Coming to an Avatar near you!

heyskull

Every 6 months I end up with a mountain of offcuts which is so huge it would be ineffecient going through it to find the perfect piece!
We used to give hese bits away to schools but they now want us to deliver it!!!
As they are not insured for colection!!!!!

SC

Border

I think the bottom line is.....scraps are great to keep ( in moderation) when you are in the stages of biz where you have slow times & limited funds where it is not a big deal to spend a little time looking for a scrap to use on a small project.

Just don't don't let yourself get so caught-up in SAVING a buck that you keep yourself from MAKING several more!

I have found myself guilty of the above and have been working on making each hour of the day more productive.

Don't let 90 cents in savings hold you back from making a quick 60 bucks!!!!

John L

The ladies can use the high performance scraps as an inexpensive aternative instead of wax to trim up those bikini lines! One-rip-strips...

Would you could call that a "Dirty Avery"?

Everyone has piercings and tattoos, but the new wave could be the "LogoBush®".

Farmboy

If you save all your scrap you can wrap your kids for Halloween (Money saved on costume) or use it to wrap gifts for the in-laws (just plain fun) and in the summer all the saved backing paper makes a great slip and slide, but what hold is it together you ask...um, all the scrap vinyl. Just use it to tape the backing paper on the back side. There...I've done all the heavy lifting for you, now go save money!!!