• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Save your scrap

hightop

OK - here's my first "real" post. There are many useful tips on this thread and some...well...um, not so useful tips. :doh: Specifically to SignManiac - NO THANKS on the one-rip-strips. ***cringing at the thought***:omg2:

I use my scraps to fill up the inside of my garbage can.
I will occasionally put one on the floor sticky side up so the cat steps on it and drives him crazy for a little while.:ROFLMAO:

TheSnowman

I have 20 rolls of Avery CALENDERED that the previous owner bought, and I inherited with the business. What should I do with that?

goodontv

Well, if you actually save your excess vinyl after weeding. Make furniture, that's what we did at my old facility. It took two months but we had a 400lbs sofa that was surprisingly comfy!

visualeyez

I save scrap vinyl mainly besause we also sandblast. I can turn a 4" x 30" scrap into at least 6 sandblast masks for wedding flutes at $20 each. Whats that work out to, $1 per square inch? And that is calendered vinyl...
And for those without a blasting cabintet, you can do the same with a bottle of Armour Etch.
With risk comes reward, I recently mispelled the name Mellissa, with two L's and two S's and blasted it into a $150 crystal flute. And I had to drive 2 hours to buy the replacement. Dealing with a Bride is an issue in it's own...]

rex

or you can use scraps to make dog bones , paw prints, halloween stuff for the kids,,,oh wait, im just being stupid i guess, ,,,i use my scraps for freebies for the little ones, and charities etc., someone can allways use something

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Drane

or you can use scraps to make dog bones , paw prints, halloween for the kids,,,oh wait, im just being stupid i guess, ,,,i use my scraps for freebies for the little ones, and charities etc., someone can allways use something

Geeez, you must have plenty of time on your hands????:corndog:

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gnarlydog

I am a newbie to this forum and while I am an experienced graphic designer, I am new to plotter cut vinyl sign making. I am a registered with several graphics forums and it seems while there is some good info on this site, there is also a TON of sarcasm and harsh replies to posts or questions from new members.

As a beginner I am looking for help with questions regarding purchasing equipment, which vendors to use or steer clear of, and best business practices. So of the threads are just a stream of attacks like this one.

Maybe the initial post was poorly phrased, but give the guy credit for offering up a suggestion and give him constructive criticism so if he ever decides to contribute again (not sure why he would) he can be more professional about it.

Is this forum a valid place to exchange ideas and develop the quality of your industry or just a fraternity that pretends to solicit new members but immediately hazes anyone stupid enough to try to contribute?

SignStudent

Is this forum a valid place to exchange ideas and develop the quality of your industry or just a fraternity that pretends to solicit new members but immediately hazes anyone stupid enough to try to contribute?

The OP has a bad history here. Look around at his threads and you'll find out why all the harsh replies.

mark in tx

Yes, and Yes.

Just go ahead and pee in the potted plant in the corner like everyone else, and you'll fit right in.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
The only ones I try to save are the ends of the roll. Rarely do I cut to the nearest 5" or so to the roll as the graphics I do are rather large ... but on occasion that foot or so comes in handy on small things that come through the shop or a single spot color.

hatmanok

I use it to make sand blasting mask for my son. I just put one layer over another so you have two layers and cut the designs for him. Works like a charm.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I think the bottom line is.....scraps are great to keep ( in moderation) when you are in the stages of biz where you have slow times & limited funds where it is not a big deal to spend a little time looking for a scrap to use on a small project.

Just don't don't let yourself get so caught-up in SAVING a buck that you keep yourself from MAKING several more!

I have found myself guilty of the above and have been working on making each hour of the day more productive.

Don't let 90 cents in savings hold you back from making a quick 60 bucks!!!!

+1 to that. My predecessor left me with such a huge stack of scrapes (2 rubber maid bins of small flat pieces, 4 boxes all tightly rolled .. and unusable, and this shelf that was about 9" or 10" deep.) ... needless to say I was shocked.

Spent the time and sorted out highly used colors one day (white, black, silver, red, chrome, end pieces that were just thrown down there, etc) ... and systematically I've been throwing out that huge pile of crap. I mean ... Who the hell thinks it's a great thing to save a 3"x15' section of paisly purple vinyl ... NEVER going to use that thing ... and that pile is riddled with "scraps" like that.

... As it is I've been whittling down his mistakes in ordering ... I had six 50 yard rolls of dark navy blue vinyl ... six ... Found them everywhere, in drawers, in corners, all over the vinyl wall ... drove me nuts ... that and the 22 different shades of green no one wants was fun too.