• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Save your scrap

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Very rarely do I get to use scraps - most of what I cut is just too big...

but I save scraps anyway... then donate them to my granddaughter's art class...

win-win situation in my book.

My wife is a Kindergarden teacher. I used to take the time to cut up scraps into triangles and bag them up for her. She said her kids were mesmerized with making mosaics out of the scraps. It literally calmed them down and was one of the favorite centers in her class.

petesign

I use scraps to make samples. Otherwise I would just throw them away. I don't have the time or space... now drops are another story.. you never know when that 12"x96" piece of lexan is going to come in handy.

Since this thread refuses to die, I figured I would add my .02.

signs2trade

Saving pieces of vinyl IMO is a waste of time and space. After a short time the small rolls have fallen over and are not flat and will not run through the plotter correctly. If you are going to save it save it flat. I save the liner to sheet printed signs so they dont stick together if they are not completly cured and to sheet my screenprinted aluminum signs.
I do save drops of vinyl for a couple of months each year to wrap christmas packages.....its colorfull and everyone always loves it....

cwcannon

I usually save my scraps and give them to the local daycare centers around the area for kids to do fun little art projects with. The kids love all the bright colors and it sparks their parents curiosities and I have gotten more than one job just by donating the extras that would have gone in the garbage.

visualeyez

Playing around with some scrap misprint vinyl yesterday I told my plotter who the boss was (max force) and made it cut through the print media completely to make a great 40x48" handicap symbol parking lot paint stencil. Was a test for a customer and I turned a quick profit on top of recovering the costs of the misprint. It pays to be green.

GypsyGraphics

Tip 2: I lay two 600mm x 900mm pieces of Coroplast side by side and tape the join with duct tape. I then "close it up" book style and tape the outside join.

been using this tidy little tip since i read it 5 months ago!
even have a name for it... my son ask me... "trash it or book it?"
thanks G!

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Some good comments & some funny comments-some sarcastic & some serious...
as someone said it all depends on your turnover & how close the supplier is to your location.
I've saved stuff & I've thrown out stuff.
Sizeable scraps of common colours become backing cover strips for screen edges.
Queer specially ordered colours in scrap go away on a shelf in case that customer needs another little letter made in the near future. Sometimes. Or our kids get to make fancy school book covers out of them.
It all just depends...