• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screw you 3M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProWraps

i got an email from 3m OW yesterday saying i lost my bid for an install....

um. wtf. i never bid on an install. are these people just daft? they can print up that email and CRAM IT. dont email me again bozos.

We regret to inform you but the installation for order 103303 has not been awarded to you. This can happen due to many reasons. If you have any questions or believe this email to be a mistake, please contact us at 720-746-1600.

CES020

This could be totally non-related, but in walks a couple of reps from a local supplier, non-sign related, place. Never seen these people before. They tell me that they are there to talk about 3M products. They tell me that the 3M guy (used his first name) told them to stop by and see me. I said "Who?". They repeated his name. I said "I have no idea who you're talking about". Then it hit me, I called 3M for an adhesive recommendation about a year or more ago. I said "You mean the adhesive rep that's from out of state that I talked to on the phone about a year ago that sent me a sample?". They said "Yes, that's him, he said we should stop by and see you".

They brought some protective webbing/fabric like product by. Huh? WTF is that for? It's for protecting signs so they don't get scratched or damaged. I'm thinking "what the heck do you do, laminate the stuff?". Then I opened the brochure. It's for protecting things while transporting, apparently, it looks like gauze. I said "We don't have any need for that".

He said "Let's go back into your shop so we can see what you do so we can help you". I ignored him. A couple minutes later, he said it again and tried to walk by me, heading to the shop. I moved so he couldn't get by, redirected him back to the lobby, and a couple minutes later, he said "We won't keep you any longer, let us just take a look at your shop and then we'll be out of here".

I said "We don't allow people in our shop".

Then he pulls out a note pad and asks me if I know any of these other sign companies he's got on his list, or if I had any other sign companies not on his list I could recommend that he call on. They were NOT 3M employees, but the first words out of their mouths were that they were here to talk about 3M products.

I have no idea if it means anything or not, but thought I'd throw it out there in case someone else runs into anything else.

I did think it was odd that they had a list of sign companies written down.

splizaat

Not trying to get my head bitten off, but I know from FIRST HAND (since I work another part time job where I design for them) that you can suggest a sign shop for install whether they're on the list or not -- at least that was the case when we bought our Nissan NV3500 that came with a $X towards a wrap. Our rep at original wraps said we could have another installer not on the list do it if we had a shop we use on a regular basis...maybe this has changed, but that was the case for us - we had the option.

Either way, I agree it's messed up they're allowed to supply and compete.

Letterbox Mike

Interestingly a good long time customer just brought us two new Transits to wrap today. He said he needed an extra copy of the invoice because Ford was giving him a $500 credit per van for graphics.

Strange...

J

john1

Interestingly a good long time customer just brought us two new Transits to wrap today. He said he needed an extra copy of the invoice because Ford was giving him a $500 credit per van for graphics.

Strange...

Better then the customer the other day giving me $50 for a small run of postcards but wanted a invoice stating he gave me $120

:ROFLMAO:

Cale Frederick

I'll gladly welcome Oracal or Avery (yeah I said it!!) reps in my shop.....but everyone else can stay outside for all I care.

I guess I was just getting in the graphics business when Avery had their problems. I missed all the reasons not to use them. I have used many of their products since I have been in the decision making position at my current company. I love 1005sc with the 1460 laminate for wraps mainly since I have to do all installs 95% by myself in a semi climate controlled area. We also use a lot of the matte 2923ez for everyday stuff. I got a sample of the Oracal 3751 and 290 and am looking forward to trying it out. The first wrap I ever did was with 3551ra. It is still holding up good today (3 years later) and the customer brags about it all the time. It was a real pain to install though because of how tacky it was. I even thought that the 180 c and cv3 were a little to tacky. I started using Avery 1005sc after my first SGIA show 2 years ago in Vegas. I did hear rumor the other day that 3m had proposed to buy Avery. That would be a reason I would stop using them now, but until then it works for me.

J

john1

I guess I was just getting in the graphics business when Avery had their problems. I missed all the reasons not to use them. I have used many of their products since I have been in the decision making position at my current company. I love 1005sc with the 1460 laminate for wraps mainly since I have to do all installs 95% by myself in a semi climate controlled area. We also use a lot of the matte 2923ez for everyday stuff. I got a sample of the Oracal 3751 and 290 and am looking forward to trying it out. The first wrap I ever did was with 3551ra. It is still holding up good today (3 years later) and the customer brags about it all the time. It was a real pain to install though because of how tacky it was. I even thought that the 180 c and cv3 were a little to tacky. I started using Avery 1005sc after my first SGIA show 2 years ago in Vegas. I did hear rumor the other day that 3m had proposed to buy Avery. That would be a reason I would stop using them now, but until then it works for me.

Did you use the 290 laminate with the 3551? Any shrinkage at all?

slappy

Colorado,
can you start maybe a poll on another thread or if you can this one, just to see numbers on how many people are really effected or feel threatened by 3M? Might be interesting to see since this thread is getting so much attention. Keep it closed though so people are not intimidated to vote in the poll.

something like:
I will still continue to use 3M for everything. I love them!
I intend to limit my purchasing with 3M products and will look at other manufacturers.
I am banning 3M period from my machines and dropping them like a bad habit.
whose 3M?.... never heard of them till now,and i will not do business with them either.

i dunno... but something to that effect, maybe worded different or different options

HulkSmash

Colorado,
can you start maybe a poll on another thread or if you can this one, just to see numbers on how many people are really effected or feel threatened by 3M? Might be interesting to see since this thread is getting so much attention. Keep it closed though so people are not intimidated to vote in the poll.

something like:
I will still continue to use 3M for everything. I love them!
I intend to limit my purchasing with 3M products and will look at other manufacturers.
I am banning 3M period from my machines and dropping them like a bad habit.
whose 3M?.... never heard of them till now,and i will not do business with them either.

i dunno... but something to that effect, maybe worded different or different options

I'm over attacking 3M, they have literally hurt my business, and removed a lot of my customers due to their low prices, and devious O.W. program.

I just want to get information out to the people to let them know what they're doing. Do I think they make good vinyl? Kind of..

I've learned a few things.. Oracal 3751 Is far superior in overall quality. It has a better tack, prints cleaner... the vinyl is actually white.. not a yellow'd white like 3M. Their Lam looks like glass. It requires no primer.. Where you put it, it stays. Their reps actually CARE about their customers. They call, check up, and respect us. 3M is beyond disrespectful in many ways. They don't honor their warranty, and their warranty is just overall garbage. Oh yeah, Oracal is cheaper too.

3M has so many products, this of minimum concern to them. They're too busy with sticky notes, and command strips to worry about us. They will keep doing what they're doing, tearing down small business.. as long as they get what they want.

We just finished our first wrap with the oracal 3751, and it is not the last. This will be out go to vinyl. I refuse to finance 3m's original wrap program with my support of buying their materials. They're now not only hurting me. But Companies like Grimco, fellers, and others.

I'll be posting a write up soon. Not an attack, just an informative piece to open peoples eyes.. especially those who think it's not effecting you.

One can only be so professional. I've been patient with their lies, and deviance for long enough.

HulkSmash

3M has painted their own picture in this thread about what type of company they really are. They refuse to directly answer anything. I just want to know if they're competition.

JoshLoring

I've learned a few things.. Oracal 3751 Is far superior in overall quality. It has a better tack, prints cleaner... the vinyl is actually white.. not a yellow'd white like 3M. Their Lam looks like glass. It requires no primer.. Where you put it, it stays. Their reps actually CARE about their customers. They call, check up, and respect us. 3M is beyond disrespectful in many ways. They don't honor their warranty, and their warranty is just overall garbage. Oh yeah, Oracal is cheaper too.

This is why I've been a faithful customer for 6+ years.
Untouchable quality, clarity and customer service. It's like photo paper on vehicles.

Step aside 3M.. There's a new standard in town and.. It's not you.

After having the Govt shut down your greedy *** plot to acquire Avery Office products.. Maybe you should just give up on wrap media...

ProColorGraphics

My Oracal samples are supposed to be in today! I can't wait to try them. Especially when you guys say that it "stays down where you put it, WITHOUT primer!"

booshworks

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents...

We don't do wraps, but we do vehicle graphics. Never had an issue with 3M, we usually just bought whatever is the best value since almost all of our graphics are short term installs (6-12 months, maximum).

From reading this thread and doing some due diligence, I am now responding to all of my suppliers weekly sales offer emails with something similar to the following:

"Thanks for this email, but I am not interested in any of the deals enclosed because you are also marketing 3M products in this offer. In the future, I will be happy to look at any weekly sales you're offering if you remove 3M products from your offers."

I also will cc the OriginalWraps email address on there to let them know that even though we don't do much vinyl, we're still watching what they're doing.

The thing is, we've had 3 local fleet companies contact us in the past 2 months about doing their work, so even in a heavy competition market like Chicagoland, there's still plenty of work to go around. I'm letting those companies know that we'd love to do some sample installs, as long as they don't require 3M products.

I'll also QFT the people in earlier posts who said they avoided 3M non-vinyl products at the store. I did the same thing this week: 3M Scotch tape? Switched to generic. Packing tape for shipments? Switched to Duck brand. 3M air filters for our climate controlled rooms? Switched there, too.

It's absolutely crazy how many 3M products we use in-house (and at my homes), but it isn't that hard to make a change.

Maybe it'll just be $50,000 a year gross supply purchases that we will switch from 3M, but that's something.

I also agree that 3M is just doing what companies do: trying to make a bigger profit. I'm OK with it, that's capitalism and I'm a big proponent of competition. I have to protect my profits, too, so I'm not actually calling it a boycott, I'm just protecting my income.

ironchef

Ding ding ding.... your so right, its not illegal what they're doing. But, if we don't change our buying habits, how will the future look like? What are we going to do about it?

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Just wanted to put in my 2 cents...

We don't do wraps, but we do vehicle graphics. Never had an issue with 3M, we usually just bought whatever is the best value since almost all of our graphics are short term installs (6-12 months, maximum).

From reading this thread and doing some due diligence, I am now responding to all of my suppliers weekly sales offer emails with something similar to the following:

"Thanks for this email, but I am not interested in any of the deals enclosed because you are also marketing 3M products in this offer. In the future, I will be happy to look at any weekly sales you're offering if you remove 3M products from your offers."

I also will cc the OriginalWraps email address on there to let them know that even though we don't do much vinyl, we're still watching what they're doing.

The thing is, we've had 3 local fleet companies contact us in the past 2 months about doing their work, so even in a heavy competition market like Chicagoland, there's still plenty of work to go around. I'm letting those companies know that we'd love to do some sample installs, as long as they don't require 3M products.

I'll also QFT the people in earlier posts who said they avoided 3M non-vinyl products at the store. I did the same thing this week: 3M Scotch tape? Switched to generic. Packing tape for shipments? Switched to Duck brand. 3M air filters for our climate controlled rooms? Switched there, too.

It's absolutely crazy how many 3M products we use in-house (and at my homes), but it isn't that hard to make a change.

Maybe it'll just be $50,000 a year gross supply purchases that we will switch from 3M, but that's something.

I also agree that 3M is just doing what companies do: trying to make a bigger profit. I'm OK with it, that's capitalism and I'm a big proponent of competition. I have to protect my profits, too, so I'm not actually calling it a boycott, I'm just protecting my income.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.