• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screw you 3M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ColoPrinthead

I'm just curious, what do you hope will happen?

Do you hope 3M will shut down the Original Wraps program?

Do you hope that they will close the Original Wraps offices where they are printing and shipping the product from?

I'm just curious on what would make this all better from some of your points of view.

I know it sounds like a simple question, where the answer is probably "Shut it all down", but if that's what you are aiming for, that's probably a lofty goal that won't even be reached. Is there a realistic goal in mind where it's a win-win for both sides?
You raise a good point. They would sell it before shutting it down, so OW is not going away.

ucmj22

I'm just curious, what do you hope will happen?

Do you hope 3M will shut down the Original Wraps program?

Do you hope that they will close the Original Wraps offices where they are printing and shipping the product from?

I'm just curious on what would make this all better from some of your points of view.

I know it sounds like a simple question, where the answer is probably "Shut it all down", but if that's what you are aiming for, that's probably a lofty goal that won't even be reached. Is there a realistic goal in mind where it's a win-win for both sides?

I'll quote myself from post 150 its really just about helping out your fellow sign shop in my eyes.

Maybe some are hoping to get 3M to do a 180º, but I think most (at least me) are considering cutting 3M out of their offerings not to try and damage or change their business model, but to simply not feel like an idiot when you pick up the phone and order material from your competition. 3M was the leader in vehicle wrapping media about 6 years ago, but their competition has become so stiff that anyone would be hard pressed to unequivocally label 3M as the single top dog in the industry. So if you have 3/4 players that have a top level product, it is only common sense to use one of the companies that isn't directly competing for you business. It isnt really a matter of boycott or social change/justice, it's merely self preservation.

HulkSmash

Watch it now, they had my post from yesterday removed for © infringement when I screenshot their FAQ and revamped it. I'm no © expert, so I dont know if this is along the same lines, but be ready.

who had it removed, 3M? What a sick joke. They're worried about that, but not stealing our business. It just gets better and better.

CES020

Fine with me, as long as they don't sell to someone who manufactures a vinyl, i can care less.

So a solution would be to take Original Wraps back to a private company, not a division of 3M. Then 3M could market exactly the same way it does now, but make Original Wraps a "preferred partner" for the wraps program it offers at dealerships?

It wouldn't take much, on paper, to make that all happen, but the end result wouldn't change any. They'd still have the program, they'd still operate it like they do now, but there would be a middle man, privately owned company, that handles all the printing and shipping.

I don't see meeting those conditions very successful in the overall objective, that's why I'm asking.

HulkSmash

So a solution would be to take Original Wraps back to a private company, not a division of 3M. Then 3M could market exactly the same way it does now, but make Original Wraps a "preferred partner" for the wraps program it offers at dealerships?

It wouldn't take much, on paper, to make that all happen, but the end result wouldn't change any. They'd still have the program, they'd still operate it like they do now, but there would be a middle man, privately owned company, that handles all the printing and shipping.

I don't see meeting those conditions very successful in the overall objective, that's why I'm asking.

Of course you don't see it. I wouldn't expect those who think they aren't affected by it to see it.

CES020

Of course you don't see it. I wouldn't expect those who think they aren't affected by it to see it.

I'm just trying to understand what the objective is. From what you, and others have said, they can convert it back to a private company, continue exactly as they are, and nothing will change. So my question is just for us that aren't in the middle of it to understand what your end goal is. Because I'm not sure I've seen a clear goal.

Your goal is what? To make Original Wraps a private company again, breaking their legal bond with 3M? Is that the goal?

You can't win a war if no one knows the goal, and I haven't seen the goal posted yet.

HulkSmash

I'm just trying to understand what the objective is. From what you, and others have said, they can convert it back to a private company, continue exactly as they are, and nothing will change. So my question is just for us that aren't in the middle of it to understand what your end goal is. Because I'm not sure I've seen a clear goal.

Your goal is what? To make Original Wraps a private company again, breaking their legal bond with 3M? Is that the goal?

You can't win a war if no one knows the goal, and I haven't seen the goal posted yet.

I want them to stop going to dealerships and stealing my customers, how is that so hard to grasp. I don't care what they do with OW, sell it.. fine with me I was able to win bids against the old OW all day.

3M doesn't give us the opportunity to compete against it. The owners have no choice.

Am i that confusing? Pretty sure i've been pretty upfront about what needs to be done.

HaroldDesign

Just guessing here, but I have been following this thread a bit. If what 3m loses in revenue on account of the competition no longer using their product outweighs what they're making off the wraps program then their program model would need to change. Being that their wrap pricing is so low, it seems quite possible this could happen. Again - just guessing as to a "goal/outcome".

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I want them to stop going to dealerships and stealing my customers, how is that so hard to grasp.

here we go again with the stealing... what's to stop you from going to every dealer in colorado and striking a deal with them???

or do you not want to steal customers from other shops???

i'm not a 3M fan by any means, just can't get by the whining

HulkSmash

here we go again with the stealing... what's to stop you from going to every dealer in colorado and striking a deal with them???

cool story, no one is forcing you to read this.

carry on.

HulkSmash

- Customer already has agreed price for wrapping his fleet of 10 vehicles with local, family owned sign shop.
- Customer goes to dealership.
- Customer goes to lease his 10 vehicles but is approached by 3M.
3M offers him a price i can't fathom offering.. but hey they can do that because they make the stuff.
- Customer is given 0 opportunity to choose a printer or installer.
- 3M literally tells them use us or 0 warranty, and 0 leasing option for wrap.

Sure it's not stealing, but it's reaches beyond any shadiness i've ever seen.

ucmj22

there you go whining about semantics again...
I reitterate:
I believe the sentiment is valid. When they are selling you product through a distributor to sell at the retail level, and also selling directly to the consumer that you are trying to sell their product to, its pretty shady. why should I purchase a product from a manufacturer that competes for my clients at the retail level with the benefit of removing 2 levels of distribution.

I understand that "stealing" implies illegality and what they are doing is just unethical, but at this point it is just semantics. Call it what ever you want but its bad business, and if someone wants to buy from a company that is trying to cut them out of the equation, they are free to do so, but thats just bad business on their part as well.

CES020

I want them to stop going to dealerships and stealing my customers, how is that so hard to grasp. I don't care what they do with OW, sell it.. fine with me I was able to win bids against the old OW all day.

3M doesn't give us the opportunity to compete against it. The owners have no choice.

Am i that confusing? Pretty sure i've been pretty upfront about what needs to be done.

No need to get all pissy about it. I just hadn't seen a clear message on what the end goal is, other than to avoid buying their product, which isn't an end goal, it's just a step. I just asked a freaking question. Geez, relax dude.

HulkSmash

No need to get all pissy about it. I just hadn't seen a clear message on what the end goal is, other than to avoid buying their product, which isn't an end goal, it's just a step. I just asked a freaking question. Geez, relax dude.

Wow if my previous paragraph offended you, you must be a hard person to have a conversation with. I was far from pissy.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Now....... this thing is taking a 180 and we're fighting with each other. 3M can play this out just like China. Just wait until we just ruin ourselves from within and then take over without firing a shot.

Y'all do what you want, but nitpicking at each other and not forming a well planned approach, this thing is gonna loose steam and participation.

qmr55

Now....... this thing is taking a 180 and we're fighting with each other. 3M can play this out just like China. Just wait until we just ruin ourselves from within and then take over without firing a shot.

Y'all do what you want, but nitpicking at each other and not forming a well planned approach, this thing is gonna loose steam and participation.

+1 cmon guys

Status
Not open for further replies.