• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screw you 3M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Reynolds

Oh hell was gonna switch to Oracal anyway...

Who wants to start a BOYCOTT Letter?

I with ya. I've been looking for a good excuse to stop using 3M. Offering wraps at the dealer is bad enough, but denied a lease for wanting to use a different (better) wrap company is WRONG.

Hear me 3M?

I say BOYCOTT.

petesign

I'm leaning toward changing vinyl as well. That's some BS.... if we arent careful, we will all end up making banners in walmart.

skyhigh

They offered to put me on their list of certified installers just by filling out a forum. Not sure if this is possible for everyone... in anycase...

And??? Does this mean you are jumping the "screw you" ship, and joining forces? Are you still going to sign the boycott letter, in support of the smaller shops than yourself?

hopefully ProWraps. why, well because i kick so much a$$ people call me an asstronaut.

:rolleyes: And when 3m is done with ya, you'll have to go back to sacwraps, and sell all your toys sitting in the shop.

:ROFLMAO:

If by chance you do get that 3m from 3m, you can add another "m" and buy me out. :rolleyes:
jk... I'm small potatoes, compared to you guys.

HulkSmash

no skyhigh, i fully intend on trying to find a way to stop them from printing in my back yard, and all the other shops in the area for that matter

J

john1

Hmmm looks like i will be buying some Oracal or Avery from the cowboy (fellers) rather than 3M as i was just about to order

Thanks Adam for the heads up!

slipperyfrog

3M is much the same on the window tint film side of the coin. They couldn't give two ****s who they cut out of the loop. Sad that their company uses the power of their 3M name to wreck such havoc.

mtrider

going in tomorrow?!#$%

I just opened this thread tonight, after having a nissan dealer sales manager contact me about their "shop vehicles.??? design and wraps... wonder how this is gonna go, with all this new info?? anyone want to offer any ammo?

Last edited:

JoshLoring

You get used to it.... also, be sure and try 3751RA

We only use 3951 on boats..

3751ra is easily the best vinyl on the market right now. AND.. It's cost less then anything. Also removes like butter.

Who doesn't want to save money? My guy throws pre-seamed 18' horizontal 72" panels on vans by himself. Fast at that. If Oracal were so tacky... Explain how him.. And myself as well can throw these monster panels on in once piece. Because its easy as hell to install!

jasonx

We only use 3951 on boats..

3751ra is easily the best vinyl on the market right now. AND.. It's cost less then anything. Also removes like butter.

Who doesn't want to save money? My guy throws pre-seamed 18' horizontal 72" panels on vans by himself. Fast at that. If Oracal were so tacky... Explain how him.. And myself as well can throw these monster panels on in once piece. Because its easy as hell to install!

Wall Raptor. Don't deny it :p

BALLPARK

no skyhigh, i fully intend on trying to find a way to stop them from printing in my back yard, and all the other shops in the area for that matter

Hate to hear that happened to you! The writing has been on the wall for a bit with 3M and their subsidiary companies.

When I heard they purchased OW and planned to increase their services to all major brands in the automotive industry... Let's just say it was similar to the outlook for interior static signage vs. digital signage.

How long do you think it will take 3M to train dealership hired employees? You may be on the list right now, but understand this... Dealerships spend a fortune on signage and are always looking for a way to make a buck. I worked as a sign shop manager for a huge dealership. They dropped about 350K into the equipment and setting up the shop. Now they are a competitor. They own a dealership and a race track. Other dealerships will follow suit. They do their own installs on wraps... I don't even hold it against them going public with their shop, the owner is a great man and has great vision.

How long do you think it will take 3M to start running nationally televised Co-Op Ads with the automotive industry about this type of services?
I think they may do it at the next Superbowl, if their sales increase enough during the rest of this year. 3M has the marketing budget to split National Ads with every major manufacture highlighting this new service. The automotive manufactures will just increase their total number of Ads. One division for non-business type vehicles like they do now as in number of Ads. Then a division for the business fleets, they will not be looking to hurt small companies like myself..lol. I am way to small to even get a second of their thoughts. But they will target large volume wrap companies clients like you and Prowraps... Hate to say it, but they could make life hell on your fleet sales. Right now it may be for new, but they will start offering wrap services for used vehicles as well. Well once more dealerships get 3M certified staff on site! Then it will hurt even more... It will then start to hurt the small companies like myself.

How long do you think it will take 3M to start increasing their prices to us, even quicker than they already do, to help cover the cost of their services?
I would love to see the price increases from 3 years before they purchased OW to now. I bet you could start to see the increase right away and that program right now is an infant child. Wait until it truly goes national... Sign shops will see an increase in their prices at a much high rate to help offset their low pricing plans with the dealerships.

You get the point and well as most anyone that has looked into this matter past the surface of "don't worry, we are not your comp!".

The only outcome that I can see right now to slow them down, is if all of the major sign associations start a campaign that brings this to light to the masses. There is no stopping them as their company-companies are too large and in to many different industry/markets.

But even with the major sign associations spreading the word, it will take the help of their true vinyl competitors.

If you want to hurt 3M hit them where it hurts. If their competitors would offer special pricing plans for our clients that are willing to SWITCH from 3M to their product, then you have a new sales for their competition without giving up our profits.

I only use 3M's wrap vinyl now... It is expensive as hell as we are a small company. I would love to find a suitable vinyl that can provide similar results to 3M. I just cannot take a chance on wasting the funds testing the other brands. I have tried MacTac, Arlon and 3M... I went with 3M. While they will not feel anything at all from someone like myself switching, they would if enough small to large companies made the switch.

I know that the other vinyl brands will listen to pitches and good ideas... When I started out in wraps, I got certified with MacTac (Hold your laughter). I spoke with at the Eastern Regional Manager about some good ways to get the attention of sign shops about their product. She said they were looking into advertising with sports. I told her it would be cool if they had a contest with Nascar that would allow sign shop designers to design a MacTac themed racecar for each race. I know she got a big promotion (Not saying from this idea). I am saying they listened to a nobody in the industry, surely they would listen to the big hitters! I did not follow-up to much with the way she planned it all out with their racecar Ad campaigns and sign shops. The problem then was the media did not have a high tack, even if post heated among other issues as well. It was the 1st version of the Bubble Free / Razor media.

The point is... I think they (3M's competitors) would be stupid not to offer special pricing plans to get Sign/Wrap companies to switch to their products. I am not talking a small discount, you don't do a campaign like this without swinging big. It has to be big enough that the clients could see a true savings. This is not a short term attack on 3M. This is a long term fight that could swing more sales to MacTac, Arlon, Oracal, etc... They would feel the initial impact of the sales as a drop, but if the sign shops backed them by buying their products over the up-coming years. They would see a major increase in volume which would lead to greater profits overall and better R&D for future products.

Sorry... got on a bit of a rant. It just pisses me off that they do this right in front of us and we are the ones that help pay them to do it! It's late and I need some sleep..lol.

Good luck to you and the other large wrap type companies. I hope I am wrong in my projections on what they can and might do with that division of 3M. I will be pulling for you guys!!!

visual800

I'm curious what gives them to right to have the dealerships tell my customers i'm not certified to work on their wraps. That's straight disrespectful.

Colorado you may not be certified to work on their wraps but your damn sure certified to use their products and buy them aint cha?

I got no dog in this fight but I do think the name 3M intimidates people into thinking its the holy grail, contractors, engineers, architects. Another example of corporate greed

ddarlak

Go Bills!
isn't corporate greed just another name for capitalism?

last time i checked, i'm in business to make money, seems like they are doing the same.

~quit buying their product if they P iss you off

~ do a better job than they are and you'll get yours

sorry, but there is no written rule or unwritten rule that says that they can't try and make as much money as possible, it's the American way!

:wavingflag:

Status
Not open for further replies.