• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screw you 3M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheapVehicleWrap

Bill, are you drinking about it?

Attachments

• images-1.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    6.5 KB · Views: 108

CheapVehicleWrap

Youwho.... mr. Bill... where are you? It's well known how 3m was so interested in "making this right" and keeping up with the situation but no word from 3m only makes it look worse. Have you been threatened by their attorneys not to speak about the subject at hand? Well, one good thing is having spoken with several higher end car dealers in the nj/nyc area recently; absolutely 100% haven't even heard of the http://www.originalwraps.com program. 3m's silence on this issue is golden to me.

Last edited:
C

ColoPrinthead

I had an interview last week and OW came up, I guess the shop I was at had been told the program was shut down only to learn from me it wasn't. They didn't look too happy about it.

splizaat

OK...OKKKKK....OK!!!!!! Now you woke the effing beast!!!

Today we did our first install for Original Wraps / 3M. The rep originally called us and said "it should only take 3-4 hours" so we quoted it as such. Looking at the mockups, it looks like 3 hours busted out, no problem and everyone would have made money... WOULD HAVE!!!

Since Original Wraps plays every printer against each other to compete for PEANUTS, the printer (who I decided not to put on blast) decided to save $50 in EFFING MATERIAL and cut every logo separately to make up for the loss in profit during their bidding war against the others - which in the end EFFED US!

A 3 hour install turned into a SIX HOUR INSTALL because your printer decided that every time there's a second or third color, they'd just do it from CUT VINYL instead of printing it. And that area in the window cutouts that has (in this case) six printed logos - that we assumed would be supplied as one printed piece to be laid down and cut around the window frame once installed (as any logical wrap shop would do) came as SIX SEPARATE PIECES. This van that your Original Wraps rep said "should only take 3-4 hours" came as a 15"x10"x4" box with 42 SEPARATE PIECES OF VINYL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW DO YOU TURN A TWO-COLOR LOGO INTO THREE PIECES!? Does anyone know how long it takes to measure 42 pieces of vinyl??? THAT'S RIGHT, SIX HOURS!

And don't even get me started about what time we had to start this install this morning because of a dealership MESSUP.

EFF YOU ORIGINAL WRAPS!!!! WE WILL NEVER EVER EVER install this crap again!!! I'm PISSED!

HulkSmash

Today we did our first install for Original Wraps / 3M. The rep originally called us and said "it should only take 3-4 hours" so we quoted it as such. Looking at the mockups, it looks like 3 hours busted out, no problem and everyone would have made money... WOULD HAVE!!!

Since Original Wraps plays every printer against each other to compete for PEANUTS, the printer (who I decided not to put on blast) decided to save $50 in EFFING MATERIAL and cut every logo separately to make up for the loss in profit during their bidding war against the others - which in the end EFFED US!

A 3 hour install turned into a SIX HOUR INSTALL because your printer decided that every time there's a second or third color, they'd just do it from CUT VINYL instead of printing it. And that area in the window cutouts that has (in this case) six printed logos - that we assumed would be supplied as one printed piece to be laid down and cut around the window frame once installed (as any logical wrap shop would do) came as SIX SEPARATE PIECES. This van that your Original Wraps rep said "should only take 3-4 hours" came as a 15"x10"x4" box with 42 SEPARATE PIECES OF VINYL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW DO YOU TURN A TWO-COLOR LOGO INTO THREE PIECES!? Does anyone know how long it takes to measure 42 pieces of vinyl??? THAT'S RIGHT, SIX HOURS!

And don't even get me started about what time we had to start this install this morning because of a dealership MESSUP.

EFF YOU ORIGINAL WRAPS!!!! WE WILL NEVER EVER EVER install this crap again!!! I'm PISSED!

wow

CheapVehicleWrap

First and last http://0riginalWraps.com install eh? Well, well, well... if it won't work in Oregon it sure as hell ain't gonna fly in New York. Couple things to ease your anxiety... trust me there are things in the works by people you would not expect to help put an end to this all asap. Second, while you wait why don't you consider joining the 3m 12 step recovery group on facebook. And one other thing... we told ya so!

Last edited:

BALLPARK

Wow... Nice job 3M! Looks like you guys truly care about the custo.. eh I mean bottom dollar.

I would have sent that crap back to 3M/OW and told them good luck hitting your deadlines. I doubt 3M/OW even care about the client, but I'm sure the dealership does care about their customer! Then I would have given the dealership owner a call explaining why the delay happened and what to expect from a program that is built around the bottom dollar and stabbing sign shops in the back!

I hope 3M/OW keep this kind of stuff up b/c sooner or later their program will fail. Dealerships are going to be getting headaches & losing fleet sales from working with their program, if this kind of stuff keeps up.

We have been looking for suppliers for Oracal Wrap Media and Oracal Air Release Media.

Anyone here that has an XC-540 printer care to share a few tips on profiles for Oracal media? I just want the transition from my 3M competitor/supplier media to Oracal to be as smooth as possible. I downloaded the Oracal profiles for the XC-540, but have not received the new rolls from Fellers yet. Are the profiles from Oracal ready to go or do I need to tweak them for best results?

Maybe we could have Adam update the first post with supplier info for other media types as they are posted. That would be pretty cool... :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wow... Nice job 3M! Looks like you guys truly care about the custo.. eh I mean bottom dollar.

I would have sent that crap back to 3M/OW and told them good luck hitting your deadlines. I doubt 3M/OW even care about the client, but I'm sure the dealership does care about their customer! Then I would have given the dealership owner a call explaining why the delay happened and what to expect from a program that is built around the bottom dollar and stabbing sign shops in the back!

I hope 3M/OW keep this kind of stuff up b/c sooner or later their program will fail. Dealerships are going to be getting headaches & losing fleet sales from working with their program, if this kind of stuff keeps up.

We have been looking for suppliers for Oracal Wrap Media and Oracal Air Release Media.

Anyone here that has an XC-540 printer care to share a few tips on profiles for Oracal media? I just want the transition from my 3M competitor/supplier media to Oracal to be as smooth as possible. I downloaded the Oracal profiles for the XC-540, but have not received the new rolls from Fellers yet. Are the profiles from Oracal ready to go or do I need to tweak them for best results?

Maybe we could have Adam update the first post with supplier info for other media types as they are posted. That would be pretty cool... :)

When you sign on with OW or 3M to conduct a bid and then the actual job.... must you sign any kind of contract, binding you regardless of the crap you're eventually sent ??

I would imagine, you could put a waiver on your end stating if elements of this project don't meet your own guidelines, then you have the ability to bow out and let 'em stuck. Otherwise, you could be sued for breach of contract.

3M Graphics

Merchant Member
Thanks for bringing this to my attention splizaat. I agree, this is not a good situation. I'll look into this and get back to you.

C

ColoPrinthead

Damn, they have effectively retarded some of our desperate brothers in the industry. I believe in doing your best to keep your company name and reputation good, but I would have honestly said F it and walked away from that deal.

idsignsil

Ballpark - We have an XC-540 and print on Oracal with the downloaded profiles and it looks great. The one thing I will say is that the print time with the Oracal profiles is quite a bit longer than using 3M and their profiles. We just take the extra time into account and let the printer run overnight.

splizaat

If 3M wanted to make this right, they'd sent the printer half the money and send us (the installer) DOUBLE the money - that's what this job was worth....

Ballpark -- the Oracal profiles are PERFECT out of the box for us.

BALLPARK

Ballpark - We have an XC-540 and print on Oracal with the downloaded profiles and it looks great. The one thing I will say is that the print time with the Oracal profiles is quite a bit longer than using 3M and their profiles. We just take the extra time into account and let the printer run overnight.

If 3M wanted to make this right, they'd sent the printer half the money and send us (the installer) DOUBLE the money - that's what this job was worth....

Ballpark -- the Oracal profiles are PERFECT out of the box for us.

Thanks fellas! I am very excited about the positive things I have been hearing from others that have made the switch from our competitor to Oracal media.

I cannot wait to bust out some new samples using Oracal media!

HulkSmash

I told 3m, the idea was a good one (the one where they weren't involved in pricing, designing, talking to the customer.. etc) but i could never see it working. Here is a prime example. It's sad they feel the need to be in control of this...

Status
Not open for further replies.