• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screw you 3M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malkin

Adam what is that masking machine called? Been looking to pick one up!

It appears to be a LEDCO ECONOCRAFT laminator that was repurposed to just mask at some point. There does seem to be a few missing bits.

We have a 60" version that we still use for laminating and works just as good now as 10 years ago.

mtrider

colorado: we had the same thing about 2 months ago with the 8518?? but it was weird.. across the 54" width, about 42" was gloss, and the rest was matte??? we didnt notice until we went to trim..... gave the customer the option to switch it out, but is was for a short promotion..... they opted to leave it, and recoup on the next one....

HulkSmash

colorado: we had the same thing about 2 months ago with the 8518?? but it was weird.. across the 54" width, about 42" was gloss, and the rest was matte??? we didnt notice until we went to trim..... gave the customer the option to switch it out, but is was for a short promotion..... they opted to leave it, and recoup on the next one....

Yes, it wasn't the issue fred is talking about. Literally 45" is gloss, and the other 9 " is matte.

HulkSmash

started installing with oracal today. Overall pretty nice. It seems to actually stick without primer... and just has an overall strong feeling when laying it down... Very durable.. and smooth to install.

Intense01

started installing with oracal today. Overall pretty nice. It seems to actually stick without primer... and just has an overall strong feeling when laying it down... Very durable.. and smooth to install.

I was actually going to ask that question. I normally use 3M but I have been having issues on some of their QC issues with almost every roll of Lam I get. I have been using Oracal for the last week but haven't done any full wraps yet. How well does it stay down since you can't use primer on it? I am assuming you don't tent it otherwise it will probably come up.

I have 3 wraps next week and all will be done with Oracal 3751. It prints great and seems glossier too with the matching lam.

jkdbjj

Also from that link I posted, I mocked up a car, and the options are F'ing retarted.
I chose a couple stripes for the side back and hood and it was almost the price of a full wrap.
This is only a step up from Sign A Rama's BS online wrap options.

jkdbjj

Another funny thing is, I noticed http://www.chevroletgraphics.com/dealer/index.php

Yet here I am doing a decent job for them, and I have nothing to do with this program.

I imagine the program is so convoluted and complicated that the employees at the dealers (which churn and burn as often as I ****) don't give a ****eee about really learning or pushing the program.

I have a couple lease dealers in my pocket right now, and they make more from me on the side than they do from leasing the vehicle if they send me some good jobs.

This program was the brain child of someone at 3M that probably made a decent buck from all his or her hard thoughts and effort, but it will die a worse death then Friendster, Myspace and now Facebook.

CheapVehicleWrap

Ohh no doubt it will fail. But the carnage that will ensue on customers perception of wraps, quality and pricing while take food off our plates will be harsh. Hey it's their names on the line too. Yes this program is not new but it's headed into the final stages of failure/dissaster before it ever takes off. Simply because it can't. Heck even Mosh could figure that one out. Still willn to bet bothmenuts 3m's wrap division never made it out of the red and this is a last ditch effort while throwing good money after bad. Wrap shops are NOT oil change places or car dealers.

Last edited:

jkdbjj

Yeah, as far as I can tell Colorado is the only one effected by this on the forum. I might have missed something though.
It is as if Colorado one the unfortunately LOTTO. If it is seriously effecting his business, as it seems it is, I hope not only does he fight back, but he gains more loyal customers as they smell what is cooking.
That's my hope anyway.

jkdbjj

Why do you say that?
I hadn't read anyone posting that they directly lost work. I mean what 3M did to him is as close to taking money directly out of someone's pocket as it can get.

I just didn't read any other account of direct loss on here. I did say on my post, I may have missed that post.

I also wasn't suggesting that over time it wouldn't or couldn't directly effect any of us, but that is something different than what Colorado is experiencing, IMO.

ProWraps

3M original wraps called me today to do an install for them. Pretty coincidental.

I told him immediately no thanks and dont call me back. After the shocked silence he asked why is that. I said because you are my competition idiot. Dont call me back. And that was that.

Cale Frederick

I just found out today that we are possibly loosing a 20-30k job of fleet graphics to this program. We have been working on getting in with a local heating/cooling, plumbing, and electrical company who has a fleet of about 65-70 vehicles. Our quote was for 40 various vehicles to have old vinyl removed and new graphics installed. Not wraps but mostly lettering and some stripes. After giving them our quote for printed, laminated and die cut graphics on 180cv3 they called us back and said they were talking to someone at the Ford dealership. No final decisions have been made yet but who knows where this is going?

mudmedia

3M original wraps called me today to do an install for them. Pretty coincidental.

I told him immediately no thanks and dont call me back. After the shocked silence he asked why is that. I said because you are my competition idiot. Dont call me back. And that was that.

I am surprised they didn't try asking you sooner to be completely honest.

JoshLoring

Yeah, as far as I can tell Colorado is the only one effected by this on the forum.

nope.. I've lost plenty of jobs to dealerships.. It blows. In fact.. Did a bid within the last 2 weeks for a ton of nissans.
.. Dealer must have outbid me.

HulkSmash

i enjoy this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.