• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Should they honor their price?

Should they honor their price?

• Yes

Votes: 72 93.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Went to SignWorld in Atlantic City to purchase a Graphtec FC7000mk2. I was told by my main supplier Vinyl Sign Supply who was selling them there that the price they were offering was good until the end of the year. Great! I called them on 12/28/07 we both agreed on the price and I placed the order. Later that day I received a phone call back from them saying there was some miscommunication between VSS and Graphtec regarding pricing and that the price of the plotter was actually only good until Dec.5th not until the end of the year like they had stated. They admit the mistake but want an additional $400. for the plotter purchase now.
What do you think? Should they honor the agreed on price?

Marlene

you went to the show where you were told that the price was good until the end of the year. you called on 12/28, a price was agreed on and you made your purchase. they made a mistake and if they give you too much crap about keeping their promise, mention bait and switch as that is what this seems to be even if it was unintentional on their part.

speedmedia

They should take the hit on this for sure. It is their mistake. Kindly tell them if they won't honor it you will find someone else to deal with..

Thanks,
Kurt Dietrich
Speed Media

threeputt

Usually, I say that an error in pricing if discovered early, before any work by either party is performed, should be forgiven. (how would you feel if some employee mis-quoted a client, you discovered it, and had to call the client)

But in this particular case, I think that the vendor should probably go-ahead with the transaction and honor the price. The amount can be absorbed on this plotter although it may cut out any profit. The continued goodwill with your shop is at stake and they know it.

At the very least compromise should be reached in this way: Buyer to pay the corrected price, and $400 worth of supplies be given along with the deal.

Techman

oldest trick in the book, If they can sell it for 400 less before Dec 5 they can sell it for that now..

weaselboogie

That person acted as a respresentative of that company. Yes, they should honor that price. Maybe they'll be a little clearer to their employees in the future.

You gotta do the old "hesitating walk to the door". maybe they'll change their tune if they find out that a poll has been made in their honor.

Checkers

They found a mistake and corrected it before the transaction was complete and the product was delivered. While it may be in their best interest to honor the original price, they are in no way obligated to.
BTW, you may want to look at this...

http://www.letterhead.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/1516.html

If you've been around for a while, you'll know that Howard retired from Graphtec and is a great guy. If I needed a similar plotter, I wouldn't hesitate to take him up on his deal.

Checkers

petepaz

i think if they want your future business they should either honor the price or give you the some stock of equal value to make up for their mistake
i don't believe these guys make a ton on the sale of the machines but more so on the material and consumibles the sell you after

Doyle

They should take the $400 hit..... it is nothing to them in the long run as I am sure they will make it up from additional sales to you in the future, but they just burned that bridge, so now it costs them way more than just the $400, unless they are hitting the bottom and on their way out of business.

Marlene

How have things worked out so far with the price issue? any updates on what they will or won't do?

SignManiac

I'm sorry but there have been times that I shot myself in the foot on jobs. Once I quote a price I honor it. Its called integrity. These are the lessons in life you learn, especially if it comes out of your own pocket.

Besides, it won't kill them. They can easily write it off as a loss when tax time comes. A good reputation is hard to come by. Not worth losing over a lousy $400 bucks.

Richard Flint

I'm sorry but there have been times that I shot myself in the foot on jobs. Once I quote a price I honor it. Its called integrity. These are the lessons in life you learn, especially if it comes out of your own pocket.

Besides, it won't kill them. They can easily write it off as a loss when tax time comes. A good reputation is hard to come by. Not worth losing over a lousy $400 bucks.

So true.......I coudn't agree more!