• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Signs 101 Membership Qualifications

Should major companies with in-house sign departments be accepted as new members?

• Yes

Votes: 103 46.4%
  • No

Votes: 55 24.8%
  • Don't Care One Way or the Other

Votes: 64 28.8%

• Total voters

andy

To my mind, it is not the well thought out large corporation that is going to kill you, it is the smaller competitors that ding you to death.

The timid, "oh my gosh I'll never be that good" mindset is more likely to kill you.

I guarantee you that at least 40% of the members here are perfectly capable of handling large corporate projects. Offer a quality Signs101 member the chance to quote for a $200,000 project and you'd be surprised at the results.

Barry Wal Mart started with one shop.... even mega corporations need to start somewhere.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Of course. Signs is signs, making signs is making signs.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Fred, I dunno if this helps or not (since I only read page 1 when it had 3 posts and just now the last page with same amount), but when I win a lottery and can buy this forum from you here are a few of the plans I have for it. I planned to advertise it in architects journals to get architects to join for the vast amount of consultation that would be available to them - as well as potential vendors. Airlines would be another industry giant as well - although I've never seen an Airline Owner's Digest of any sort. With these big companies showing interest, I'd say it should follow as the next logical step to phenomenal growth and exposure of this forum. They sure aren't going to hurt the majority of the membership now who are chasing barely profitable (if at all) jobs anymore.

GB2

Old Member
I think it is acceptable and desirable to have members of in house graphics departments from large companies as members here. Perhaps you can establish a new set of criteria that those type members would have to meet so that we aren't getting the small companies looking to cut out the local sign shop. It might be a good idea if everyone could be labeled under their name also, instead of having the "College Sophmore, Word Warrior, PhD", etc, maybe you could state the type of member they are, "Sign Shop Owner, Sign Shop Employee, In-House Graphics Employee", etc.

i have applied graphics to small aircraft, helicopters, and 747's i can GUARANTEE you this...the average sign shop could not do to the job. not because some of them do not have the skills they simply could not get the approval to do the job, pay for the insurance, inspections, etc., etc., etc....

i have seen in house graphics departments that quite honestly run 3 shifts a day and can barely keep up with production...there are situations that the average sign shop simply can not service.

i have seen in house graphics departments who can not meet their own requirements and are forced to use any and every sign company that they can find that can squeeze in extra work at almost any price (within reason).

these scenarios can lead to big opportunities on many levels, from overflow work, supply and equipment sales, to potential job leads, the list could go on forever...there is some very short sighted thinking taking place.

if you think the average sign company is prepared to do all of the branding for a national brand simply put I have NEVER seen it work.. i have seen it tried more than once. i have seen parts of it work...but never the whole kittenkaboodle.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
To add to the previous post ... My company, Allied Computer Graphics, was ranked a 100% supplier by both Pratt & Whitney and their sister company Sikorsky Aircraft for many years. We primarily produced paint masks for them. Our successor is a former employee to whom we sold that part of our business. She has maintained that standing with them as well.

I can tell you from seeing the finished products that started with our masks, from numbers to lettering to logos, the finished work was flawless and far beyond the capabilities of most sign companies. We would all benefit from exposure to many of the techniques used in such operations.

bob

Absolutely and utterly incorrect.

Really? Which part have your determined is in error?

Before you drop your keyboard into gear, be sure you comprehend the context of the original remark. Use simple declarative sentences, be specific, and do not equivocate. Any use of simple or complex qualifiers such as 'if', 'but', 'unless', 'generally', 'typically', etc. will invalidate your response for anything resembling serious consideration. Modest entertainment value excepted.

skyhigh

so why don't we let the small lawn care guy (that only wanted to circumvent the local sign professional) who had enough interest to purchase equipment, supplies and software in an attempt to do HIS own work? Same thing...different end of the spectrum.

bob

so why don't we let the small lawn care guy (that only wanted to circumvent the local sign professional) who had enough interest to purchase equipment, supplies and software in an attempt to do HIS own work? Same thing...different end of the spectrum.

That would be a dilettante, not a professional sign writer.

One of the best shops, both for quality of output and equipage, was an in house shop for a grocery concessionaire in a large assortment of local discount chains. As full time sign writers, that's all we did, [we didn't unpack bananas, dust shelves, or stack product packages into pleasing pyramids, we made signs] were we any less professionals because of the circumstances of our employment?

skyhigh

the main thrust of the grocery concessionaire is selling bananas and such....just as the lawn care guy is to manicure your lawn. There is no difference, except in scale.

I say if you're gonna let one in, let them both in.

CentralSigns

Sky high has a point about the lawn care guy. If we let in-house airplane companies in we should also let in-house, realtors, restaurants and lawn guys who have equipment. What equipment will we consider to be needed cricket and computer printers. How will we determine the criteria for letting in-house shops join? Will it be by size, by bribe, fees or what ever else. I don't know. Might be messy.

Techman

Same thing...different end of the spectrum.

Absolutely not in the same genre.

Those companies large enough to operate a genuine sign shop often have facilities that 89% of us only dream about. I know of one corporate shop that employs 16 full time technicians. How in the world could any one even think that a lawn care handy man and a corporate sign shop are in the same league?

I also know of one government owned park that has their own sign shop that just hired a genuine sign man that many of us know personally to operate said sign shop. Should he be dissed simply because his shop is an offshoot facility?

Sheesh, there are some in here that barely own a plotter let alone have graphics knowledge. Should they be dissed too?

If we let in-house airplane companies

Its not the airplane companies. Its the sign shop and the genuine sign makers many of which have years of experience making signs who will out paint, out letter and out design many here that operates within the airplane company.

Let them in. They brothers in the brush.

signage

Fred maybe you should keep all these people who think not to let these large companies with in house graphics here at signs101 and lock it at its current member numbers and start another forum for the more opened minded shops.

skyhigh

So let me get this straight Tech....
The large corporation (with no connection in the graphic arts) should be let in because they have money to hire a designer & the best of equipment, where as the lawn care guy is learning on his own and has a master cutter?

I agree they are not in the same league.....but.

Oh well....I snuck in, and seem to be grandfathered in......right Fred? .... Fred???

signage

So let me get this straight Tech....
The large corporation (with no connection in the graphic arts) should be let in because they have money to hire a designer & the best of equipment, where as the lawn care guy is learning on his own and has a master cutter?

I agree they are not in the same league.....but.

Oh well....I snuck in, and seem to be grandfathered in......right Fred? .... Fred???

Fred I think this one should stay on the original forum:omg::Big Laugh