• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Signs101 - Is it just me....

neato

...or are about 90% of the posts on this site these days about requesting font ID's, or what plotter/printer/inks/material should I buy?

I wish we say more layout and design questions. There doesn't seem to be that much interest in that aspect of the industry anymore.

Or maybe I just hit the site at the wrong times.

animenick65

Do you have a premium membership? I would imagine a lot of the great discussions we miss take place in the paid section of the site?

mikey-Oh

i find it funny most layout discussions occur after somethings been installed/created . aside from business cards and logo crits, just haven't seen that many layouts in the development phase

jscarl

If they ask a question, they seem to get slammed by some. Lately it is getting shameful. This is supposed to be a helpful site. A couple only want full professional members. Or so they act. I don't know, but i had to start at the bottom. Even Gino,I-sign, Dave and a lot of the older members who was rough on newbees at first, are now offering more help to beginners, and becoming leaders. Glad to see this.

ProWraps

If they ask a question, they seem to get slammed by some. Lately it is getting shameful. This is supposed to be a helpful site. A couple only want full professional members. Or so they act. I don't know, but i had to start at the bottom. Even Gino,I-sign, Dave and a lot of the older members who was rough on newbees at first, are now offering more help to beginners, and becoming leaders. Glad to see this.

funny you posted this. this is the reason i pretty much dont post anymore. if i say anything im a know it all. if i try to make a funny, im ruining someones thread.

too much work to be a member of this site. unfortunately it seems to be getting a very bad feel anymore. definately the most unfriendly site ive ever been a member of.

then again, im just a know it all that probably just ruined this thread. cest la vie.

steve b

Hey neato...Come on down to the NHB section. OP will tell you all about Bush. Rodi is very entertaining as well, and if ya like Bob, you will find him down there! Heck even Big Dawg hangs out there. Join the party my friend. YEEEEE HAAWWWWW

steveb

acothran

I'm working on a design that I'll be glad to post for critique but in order to work on the design, I had to find out the main font, hence one of my post this afternoon. I've noticed a lot of Font ID post lately and hate to post one too but after about an hour or searching my font library and trying What the Font, I had no luck.

For me, the posts here go in waves. A about three weeks ago it seemed as though I wanted to open/read every post and give input on several. In the past week or so, it seems as though there haven't been many that interests me or as many that I felt I had anything to offer. I guess that's the way it goes.

Allen

neato

I understand completely Allen. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with asking for help, I've done it many times. Just seems like the industry is lost in a sea of CMYK, profiling and Mimaki vs. Roland discussions, and at the same time the overall quality of signs being produced is horrendous. All a person has to do is drive through their local business district to see where the industry as a whole has gone.

Just ranting. Happy Friday everyone! :)

SignManiac

Phillip the more things change, the more they stay the same. Might as well accept the fact that it's going to stay this way. I've been preaching to the choir for the past twenty five years and have had no real affect on design, pricing or anything else related to the business.

I'm even beginning to question my involvement in the business at all? I must be getting cantankerous, impatient, and ornery in my old age :) Screw you all and have a great weekend!

SurfaceSigns

I have to agree, the site has become more toxic in the last few months, with little in the way of networking going on. As for the premium section that seems to get mentioned every time a deeper question is asked, I have to say that I was disappointed with the offerings in that section of the board. I found the traffic in that section very light, and the info provided not much different from that in the "free" sections.

For me, This Tread about mentoring speaks volumes about the mood of the board and it's members currently.

Having been part of a number of boards over a few different industries, it does seem that, unfortunately, every board has a life span before it becomes a toxic, spiteful place as opposed to the board it started out as.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Intersting.. I see over 100 posts today and at least a few things I have read interested me.

This site is doing very well, especially if you compare it to other sign sites. Is their room for improvement? Yes, but we have had times where the negative energy was a lot worse than this...

I think we are doing pretty good....

Bigdawg

Just Me
I agree with the waves... sometimes there IS a negative feel here - I'm as guilty as anyone else. But it's not just this board.

It seems to be overall - more road rage, more ranting about seemingly little things - just an unhappy feeling in the world now-a-days. It's rough to make a living and when things get tough like this, I don't think some people are as willing to share what they know. Maybe it's a fear that a competitor might see it... or something they think gives them that little edge... or whatever it is, but it has definitely changed the tone some days. I wish we would all peace out (my inner hippie talking :smile:)

Part of the reason Fred set up the review section is to try to get more members to look there before they post the "which plotter should I buy" thread. I truly find that to be laziness when they've done no research. If you are that hap-hazard in the beginning what kind of business are you going to run? How will you learn? How do we direct them there? If you have any ideas... please share!

This place is where I learned signs are a whole different kind of design and I will admit that I am saddened sometimes by the tone on both sides. Newbies with no respect for the craft and craftsmen that can't accept there HAS to be newbies to keep the craft going. An unwillingness to learn coupled with an unwillingness to teach means what? To me it means an end to an art.

I'd like to see more designs too... I used to like to jump in if I had time and tweak them to my thoughts. I learned from that by seeing how my vision compared to others... I was really disappointed that I couldn't jump into Fred's Funky Fondue but it was great to watch and to read.

The pendulum will swing again tomorrow... or the next day and there won't be time to read everything again. Or as I say... This Too Shall Pass.

Rodi

I have actually seen far less negative stuff here than other places. In general when people ask questions they should not ask (they should read read read well before any question), they are, in fact… asking for it.

You should always have an intro about yourself and a little about your background. I started mine about wanting to make vinyl signs and I know Illustrator like the back of my hand… people were really nice. ALl the stuff I needed to learn was already in the archives… so why should my stupid question have to be answered again and again?

As far as design goes… I dunno, I see most and I hate them, but usually it is a matter of taste, and that is not fair to someone who may not communicate what went into the pre=design of a piece.

I usually see a lot of stuff I learn about and find it quite interesting… and there are some people here who I have really come to see as friends and even almost family.

joeshaul

The tone isn't as bad as it was about two years ago when I first found these forums.

Sometimes it felt like it's just a bunch of old people that are just waiting for the kids to step on the grass so they can run out and scream "GET OFF THE LAWN!", but where a newbie's thread would get like 3 pages of those posts, usually there's only like one page now, but there's also some helpful advice in there, as well as a "please introduce yourself first" kind of notation.

To say that there is no impact on the design industry and such isn't for naught though. People willing to learn will learn, as they always have and I use these forums to help learn about my trade, be it different substrates, look at different designs and projects to better help myself and my business. Some people do it by hand, some people do from a book, some people need a teacher/mentor to show them by hand. I don't really have the latter, never been a fan of that method anyways, so it leaves me other people's experiences and my own to rely on.

Threads about the design critiques are great in that they bring new idea and talent to light, you also learn a lot about yourself when you critique someone else's work. You may say "Well, the colors don't contrast enough", then go back to working on your own project and low and behold, the colors don't contrast enough, so you fix it.

The administrators of this board seem to be willing to make changes for this forum and the industry, like the attempt for the board of reps thing, the new networking feature, etc. I don't expect them to be the babysitters, but I also don't expect them to go yelling "GET OFF THE LAWN". I know of no real solution for the "toxic tone", other than to just let the poison run its course, either trolls will gather, or they will lose interest and move on.

Sign Works

let's not overlook the helpfulness of the font ID threads, a few members have been extremely helpful to me in a couple situations where I was totally stumped and pretty much at my wits end trying to locate/identify a paticular typestyle. I find it interesting to follow all of these threads and I believe it's helping me become more familiar with various fonts. Although I'll never get to where Tiki is, I swear I think he is actually font recognition software mascarading as a real person. LOL
I for one truly appreciate the time members take to help others with font ID.

Replicator

I know that for the most part I stopped posting work here several years ago, for critique or otherwise, as all that ever happens here

when work does get posted is that it gets bashed uncontrollably.

It's sad really, and I am not myself untouched by the practice of jumping on the band wagon once the bashings have started.

On the other hand, there are members here who can do no wrong, they may post the most hideous piece of work ever, but because

of who they are . . . They get praised up and down for their genius.

It just doesn't seem worth posting anything.

I'm all for asking for or helping with font ID's . . . Anytime !