• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Some memes I created

TimToad

I was a scout but I am not nationalistic, I rarely vote unless my wife forces me to, not a homophobe, and am not into practicing religion and could care less what someone believes in, even when they knock at my front door and want me to find the love of Jesus, am polite and listen to what they have to say. I was in scouts because all my friends were, and my parents felt the same way some of you on here do about me and they would send me 3 to 4 weeks to boy scout camp every summer, hence the merit badges and Eagle Scout status. And loved to see Norman Rockwell illustrations in Boy's Life mag.
But, I do believe in keeping myself physically strong, mentally awake, and not pushing my philosophies and politics on someone. We are just here for a short period of time, enjoy yourself.
And like I said if someone transgender or girl want to be in scouts, great. I would have begged for an extra week of camp.

I never said EVERY Scout would become those things or succumb to the social conditioning the process aims on kids.

Good on you for using your own moral compass to distinguish between the indoctrination process that was being attempted and using your critical thinking skills and self-adapted ethics throughout your long life.

TimToad

Its about helping kids and we need more of it. Just because some people (leaders) have been trying to twist this club into their own religious cultural club does not mean it is bad as a whole or even representative of the majority of its members. Same with the pedophiles, its vile and horrendous but its isolated and not a representation of the typical members. 99% of adults involved do this for good reasons so dont throw the baby out with the bath water.
I have no skin in this but judging by the old guys saying they had good experiences in the boy scouts .the group must be positive for children especially considering they are still proud of it this much later in life.
Insinuating that they are indoctrinating children to political and religious slants is just as ill conceived as the right wingers saying schools are doing the same. Not everything in life is about politics even though people try to make it be.

Yeah, that's what they've always said about priests and sexual abuse in the church too. It's just a few, isolated incidences and the good outweighs the bad. I never suggested we shut down the Scouts, just that its not exactly the perfect example of a moral code to live by in a multi-cultural, secular society like ours.

Our lives in America are decidedly political because of the level of social control being exerted by organizations that seek government funding, tax exemptions, etc. all the while thumbing their noses at the cultural, racial, religious and secular nature of our guiding principles. Folks like me wouldn't argue things politically if those abuses of our political foundation wasn't being violated by so many trying to force their agenda onto others.

Until very recently, it was not just "some" leaders trying to twist and mold the Scouts into their image, it was the actual by laws, requirements and Scout code that perpetuated Christian superiority and required religion, the denial of membership to those of other religions, atheists, agnostics, homosexuals, etc. To this day and just until YESTERDAY'S announcement of their severing of ties after 105 years, the single biggest sponsor of troops and dens is the Church of Latter Day Saints.

I'm not insinuating anything, its right there in the history of the Scouts for all to see. I also had great experiences and can attribute some of my moral code and values to my experience, but not all of them.

TimToad

Do you even read what you write? For the record, our religious beliefs are the same - does it surprise you that I'm also a Christian (but definitely not a right-winger like you) and a respected member of our church? That I regularly volunteer and spend a lot of my time and money helping/talking/making things better for the homeless? Will that make things all better? The difference is, I didn't see TT's comments as an attack, where you did. I saw it as someone posting how religion (not God) let him down. It's letting a lot of people down these days, including me. If you want to pull out the "Christian" card, you should be lifting him up and not tearing him down. At least that's what my Bible says.

But enough about our religion. Nothing you posted was "more than I can handle". You flatter yourself when you think you have that kind of impact. I have every right to post in any thread - I would suggest if you don't like, don't read it. No response is necessary. Have a lovely day, Gino.

Wow! All I can say after finally reading the unbelievably insulting, hostile, incredibly personal and guideline violating posts you were responding to that nobody else but you seem to have any issue with is THANKS for attempting to provide even the slightest push back on what most here have just turned a blind eye to. I usually leave the person involved on Ignore, but after you made mention of my initials, I assumed that I was missing something.

I honestly can't imagine how any moderators or principles of the site who are interested in maintaining any level of decorum, professionalism or appeal to newcomers can't see a problem with these kinds of attacks, but that's their problem.

When we live in a culture where someone can't make note of actual events, transgressions, historical actions, etc. in a general way without them being perceived as an attack upon an individuals, their faith, their beliefs, etc. without becoming the target for a level of true hatred like the poster involved exhibits on a nearly daily basis, people should fear what's next.

I challenge anyone to prove anything I stated about the Boy Scouts or the Catholic church's long running practices, denial of entry to those of other religions, atheists, homosexuals, sheltering of pedophiles, etc. is false.

It is perfectly clear how the attitudes of intolerance I warned of emanating from some who went through both the Boy Scouts experience and a heavy religious upbringing aren't some abstract construct of my imagination. Based on the very memes which started the discussion, the hostile, hateful, angry outbursts of the one person here whose name could literally be Pot M. Kettle, my points have been more than confirmed.

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
I personally find the entire thread to be distasteful and a bit more provocative than is necessary for Signs101. The site owner has approved the thread - so the discussion goes on and the thread will remain open. I'd caution you all to keep the conversation pithy and not so filled with passive aggressive, personal attacks. That being said, I'm going to suggest that Signs101 create an all-encompassing and thorough set of posting policies/guidelines which if broken will result in punitive action in the form of warnings, infractions, post moderation and ban, either temporary or permanent.

Signs101 is a diverse community. So I'd advise that you all keep that in mind and please be cognizant and respectful of those with differing opinions than your own.

SignsSupport

Johnny Best

I think we are forgetting the real jerk in all of this, AMS who posted those disgusting memes. No matter how much we are bickering with each other, no one has supported this clown so we are all on the same side.

Marlene sums it up perfectly.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

TimToad

I personally find the entire thread to be distasteful and a bit more provocative than is necessary for Signs101. The site owner has approved the thread - so the discussion goes on and the thread will remain open. I'd caution you all to keep the conversation pithy and not so filled with passive aggressive, personal attacks. That being said, I'm going to suggest that Signs101 create an all-encompassing and thorough set of posting policies/guidelines which if broken will result in punitive action in the form of warnings, infractions, post moderation and ban, either temporary or permanent.

Signs101 is a diverse community. So I'd advise that you all keep that in mind and please be cognizant and respectful of those with differing opinions than your own.

SignsSupport

Talk is cheap. Some of us will have to believe the ownership is serious about creating a non-threatening, consistently moderated site when we see real change implemented and the worst offender on a daily basis is dealt with in a reliable and long lasting way.

The most insulting remarks and personal attacks despite being reported days ago as such are still visible.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know....... you're as guilty of this as you are insinuating I am. You even agreed with someone who said we were both lashing out. Bigdawg said the kettle - pot syndrome and you agreed. Doesn't that equate to you are just as guilty admittedly ??

Talk is cheap. Some of us will have to believe the ownership is serious about creating a non-threatening, consistently moderated site when we see real change implemented and the worst offender on a daily basis is dealt with in a reliable and long lasting way.

The most insulting remarks and personal attacks despite being reported days ago as such are still visible.

Now, you wanna tell the admins how to run this place and put yourself in charge of who can be here or not. Who do you think you are ??

What I don't understand is why you think I'm so guilty of the very same actions you put out, but don't recognize your own shortcomings and flaws ?? You have all the psychological views, political views and none of them are your own views..... you just copy and paste stuff. So original.

You're so interested in getting me kicked out.... and yet, you do the same thing in almost all of your posts. You are predictable and condescending, but you wanna be clever and try to hide your true thoughts. I'm just straight out honest about liking something or not liking it and you for some reason, have a problem with that. Why ??

This whole thread could be put to bed and no one will ever read it again, but you keep stirring the pot and re-fueling this particular thread to do harm. The whole community agrees this is a worthless and quite senseless and thoughtless thread, but for some reason..... not you.

Why not just start a new campaign/thread against me and try it on your own. :thumb:

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Your math skills seem to be are as good as "you're" grammar skills.

People with bad grammar should stick to talking and not typing.

Johnny Best

I like the post. It went from someone's attempt at humorous Memes to finding out about the Catholic Church and pedophiles, people losing their faith, Boy Scouts is dead and now just Scouts, some member on here telling us they are transgender. Merit badges given out, come on people, this is good stuff, talk is cheap, unless you are paying a lawyer for talking. Banning other members for giving their opinions and then a grammer lesson on the word "your" or "you're". And the Toad thinks he is Gary Cooper in High Noon where none of the townspeople will back him with a "bad guy" coming to town to do him harm.
I think it covered just about everything. Good stuff!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I like the post. It went from someone's attempt at humorous Memes to finding out about the Catholic Church and pedophiles, people losing their faith, Boy Scouts is dead and now just Scouts, some member on here telling us they are transgender. Merit badges given out, come on people, this is good stuff, talk is cheap, unless you are paying a lawyer for talking. Banning other members for giving their opinions and then a grammer lesson on the word "your" or "you're". And the Toad thinks he is Gary Cooper in High Noon where none of the townspeople will back him with a "bad guy" coming to town to do him harm.
I think it covered just about everything. Good stuff!

Nice recap, lots of different directions the conversation went. Now spend a half-hour on Wikipedia and try to recap and figure out where you started. Impossible!

Bly

When I first looked at this post I backed out after seeing the memes, with a slight shudder.
Coming back it's great to see people's responses.

Maybe you'd get a few likes on FB, OP. There are all kinds of wronguns on there.

TimToad

Memes were created for humor, not political conflict. So laugh or leave.

I think the issue is that the memes in question weren't funny to many who viewed them and its within everyone's right here as members to weigh in on any thread they'd like. Especially when the creator of them is unapologetic about defending them despite the overwhelmingly negative reaction to them.

TimToad

then don't post memes with such strong political messages, problem solved.

That would be one simple solution, but when one creates something specifically to get a rise out of people, not quite as simple. Nobody can be that opaque to not see the mine field they laid and then continued to try and defend.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
meme.jpg

14+ should be fun for all

zillion29

Their membership is dying! Whenever I go to a parade, I see sloppy Boy Scout troops with 8-10 members. It just makes me wonder what all these complaining red-blooded, patriotic dads are doing with their sons - because they're sure as heck not involving them in Scouting....