• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spelling and grammar

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
You're obviously missing the boat on what I'm trying to point out.
I'm not denying the fact that one should "never stop learning" But there's no point of raising a thread about it. Is all I'm saying. This is a sensitive subject to some.

Will do, sorry if I've offended you in any way.

JB

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Because this is a Sign forum, not a College discussion board. How would you like it if you were unable to finish your education because of some sort of personal issue, and was pretty much called out for it.

Being unable to communicate in simple declarative sentences has little to do with an incomplete education. It has to do with being a fully functional human being

Proper grammar and spelling is good manners, something of which every civilized being should be capable. If someone apologizes for dismal language skills then, obviously, that person knows it's incorrect and most likely is to lazy to do it properly.

How can you ever get whatever it is you want if you're unable to state clearly and succinctly just what that might be?

No one is expected to know what a split infinitive is or the proper use of participles, but knowing the difference between "there", "their", and 'they're", "your" and "you're", and when to use "its" versus "it's" shouldn't be stretching anyone's mental tackle.

James Burke

No one is expected to know what a split infinitive is or the proper use of participles.

Looking around this forum, dangling participles surely abound in most all of our threads.

And to boldly go where no man has gone before...we've surely split our fair share of infinitives.

JB

WildWestDesigns

Being unable to communicate in simple declarative sentences has little to do with an incomplete education. It has to do with being a fully functional human being

Proper grammar and spelling is good manners, something of which every civilized being should be capable. If someone apologizes for dismal language skills then, obviously, that person knows it's incorrect and most likely is to lazy to do it properly.

How can you ever get whatever it is you want if you're unable to state clearly and succinctly just what that might be?

No one is expected to know what a split infinitive is or the proper use of participles, but knowing the difference between "there", "their", and 'they're", "your" and "you're", and when to use "its" versus "it's" shouldn't be stretching anyone's mental tackle.

I have to agree with this. I've known a few people that didn't get beyond 8th grade (most from my grandparents generation) and yet they write exceptionally well compared to some of what I've seen on here.

I have no problem with even switching "to", "two", and/or "too", as that can easily happen with typing too fast and the mind just fills it in.

But typing a post that takes a reasonable person 40 min. to "translate" before they are even able to respond, that just seems like laziness on part of the poster.

Craig Sjoquist

120% agrees with Coloradosigns

I'm here to enjoy, help, learn, view Sign Advertising.

If your so arrogant that grammar is of your main concern PLEASE IGNORE ME.

Remember not all people are perfect.

James Burke

120% agrees with Coloradosigns

I'm here to enjoy, help, learn, view Sign Advertising.

If your so arrogant that grammar is of your main concern PLEASE IGNORE ME.

Remember not all people are perfect.

I wonder...do they ever discuss sign layout on the English forums?

JB

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Proper grammar and spelling is good manners, something of which every civilized being should be capable.

Grammatik says:
"A compound subject requires a plural verb, not the singular verb is"

wayne k
guam usa

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I'll apologize in advance, firstly because I'm Canadian and it's in my D.N.A. to do so, and I because don't mean to come off like a grammar nazi but just about every time I visit this forum I'm struck by the spelling and grammar mistakes made in posts.
Your for you're, to for too and some just plain poor spelling.
I would think that we as a trade should be especially vigilant in our written communications, the written word is afterall our stock in trade.
I'm not referring to simple typos, a missed keystroke here and there or posts made by those whose native tongue may not be english.
Hell, I've probably made a few syntax errors myself in this very post.
We all make mistakes but some of the comments on these boards are downright embarassing considering what we all do for a living.
A well written comment or business letter can go a long way to making you look like the highly skilled professional you hopefully are, instead of a mouth breathing knuckle dragger.
Here's a nice little article on the topic...http://www.bookofjoe.com/2012/08/wh...rammar-test-to-all-prospective-employees.html

..."english" should be capitalized.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think "manners" is the subject...which would make it singular.

JB

I can't, because I have no idea what I am doing with the written word.
But I can blame it on the Canadians as they included this writing tool in CorelDraw.

wayne k
guam usa

James Burke

Well....I think we've beaten this subject well beyond it's intent. I'm jumping back to the discussions about sign design....see you over there.

JB

rubo

I think grammar should be outlawed - and everybody should embrace
Disemvoweling - imagn all d 3s svd if we rmvd

half or trd of letrs frm d bux! :toasting:

WildWestDesigns

I wonder...do they ever discuss sign layout on the English forums?

JB

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they did.

I know that when Alicia was getting her English degree, the prof. was giving the class bonus points if they could spot errors in ads, menus etc.

I mean if there are PC v. Mac debates in a truck forum, anything is possible.

WildWestDesigns

What if they honestly have no idea what the right tense or word is.

That's not my issue. That I don't have a problem with. I can figure that stuff out. It's when they have a paragraph long post that is one long sentence composed of a bunch of sentence fragments that have confusing subjects that you don't know which way is up.

Now if you say "do" and you really mean "do not" or "don't", that could lead to some confusion as well.

I'm talking about just a legible sentence. Very very basic stuff. I could care less about tense, even a run on I wouldn't have issue with as long as it wasn't 5 run on combined into one.

Just make an honest effort to have clear thoughts. I can promise you as someone that is reading it and it takes 40 minutes to try to figure just what the OP is trying to say, more then likely you are just going to move on, even if you might know what the OP is asking for.

I do not want to give the impression that I'm knocking anyone's education level, that is not my intention. I would just like effort in putting together a clear sentence. A nice layout if you will. Not one cluttered. We all know how hard it is to make sense of a cluttered design. A cluttered post does the same thing. Doesn't have to be perfect, I can wade through a lot of stuff (word swaps, tenses etc), but there has to be a modicum of effort on part of the poster.

I could care less if anyone could diagram a sentence, but at least put a basic one together. It just takes a little more effort and the results are better replies.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Grammatik says:
"A compound subject requires a plural verb, not the singular verb is"

The laws of perversity clearly state that any critique of grammar or spelling will contain at least one spelling or grammatical error. Usually right where it does the most damage.