• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spelling and grammar

Bly

I think it's lazy and disrespectful to communicate with sloppy grammar and spelling, but in the end it doesn't really matter on a forum.

If it really bothers me I just skip to the next post.
Especially if it's a request for help.

DizzyMarkus

At lseat msot of us use poprer pntaiucuton wehn we wirhgt.

I actualy read that before even seeing the mess. Its funny, if the first and last letters are correct, our brain is able to read it correctly. :0)

Markus

thewood

I think it's lazy and disrespectful to communicate with sloppy grammar and spelling, but in the end it doesn't really matter on a forum.

If it really bothers me I just skip to the next post.
Especially if it's a request for help.

If reading one's post is a chore, I just skip it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
While I feel your pain, I must say if you've read all the many threads with poor spelling and lousy grammar, then you should've read all the many threads containing the same complaint you've just b!tched about. It will never end. As Fred pointed out the obvious, you are truly guilty of your own crap.

The part that gets me is, I'm not a stickler for perfect anything but the people who will write a 4,200 word thesis without periods, commas, other pertinent punctuation along with horrible spelling mistakes.... sometimes makes for completely unreadable material.... even if one is on the crapper.

How can someone answer some of these requests or questions is beyond me for many members here.

How frustrating is it for someone asking a question, but can't get their thoughts across ?? Not near as hard and/or stressful as someone trying to decipher this sh!t and then answer without getting bombarded for not being clear in the delivery.

Last edited:

J Hill Designs

Being unable to communicate in simple declarative sentences has little to do with an incomplete education. It has to do with being a fully functional human being

Proper grammar and spelling is good manners, something of which every civilized being should be capable. If someone apologizes for dismal language skills then, obviously, that person knows it's incorrect and most likely is too lazy to do it properly.

How can you ever get whatever it is you want if you're unable to state clearly and succinctly just what that might be?

No one is expected to know what a split infinitive is or the proper use of participles, but knowing the difference between "there", "their", and 'they're", "your" and "you're", and when to use "its" versus "it's" shouldn't be stretching anyone's mental tackle.

fixed :thumb:

C

ColoPrinthead

Lets face it; if we were smart people we would be doing something else for a living . . .

Hicalibersigns

I see grammar as part of how people perceive me. Just like the way I dress. If you dress in a particular way people perceive you in a particular way just as they perceive you by your speech or in this case your writing. If you just don't care, then that will certainly come across.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
welp, Bob must be lazy, he didn't put the right tense of "too"

sorry, just using his logic.

I don't think that was the wrong tense. I think his second 'o' dangled too long and fell off the wagon into the waste heap aside of the weeded out other crap he's has to listen to here.................. :rock-n-roll:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
welp, Bob must be lazy, he didn't put the right tense of "too"

sorry, just using his logic.

"Too" versus "to" [versus "two"], has nothing to do with tense, the words are homophones.

I could plead typo but I choose to defer once more to the laws of perversity governing grammatical expositions as stated in a previous post. Calling 'typo' is the easy way out.

HulkSmash

"Too" versus "to" [versus "two"], has nothing to do with tense, the words are homophones.

I could plead typo but I choose to defer once more to the laws of perversity governing grammatical expositions as stated in a previous post. Calling 'typo' is the easy way out.

Bob, I know it wasn't a tense. I was really trying to just rustle your jimmies...

WildWestDesigns

This is why I do not care about this type of error in posting. Even though someone might have committed it, it doesn't mean that they don't know the difference, it could have been a simple thing of typing too fast and their mind filling in the rest.

I think people are thinking it's the little stuff, it isn't. At least not with me. Just the basics of trying to organize a clear concise thought.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
[/QUOTE=bob;1031758]... the words are homophones.[/QUOTE]

And now, the sexuality of communication devices....sheeesh!

JB

SD&F

I have always considered myself an excellent speller. I find that when I get on this forum I am in a hurry to get my opinion out that I sometimes make gramatical errors.

I bad....

Jillbeans

I spell and write better than I actually speak.
(and I do make a lot of mistakes, especially with the technical grammar portion)
But I actually cringe sometimes when reading the topics and posts in this forum.
We are supposed to be sign makers, yet most of us can't spell properly.
I expect it in the text-speak of Facebook, and I still hate it.
But on a forum of people who make their living out of nicely displayed words, seeing poor spelling is alarming to say the least.
Love....Jill

Fatboy

Guilty as charged. My mother tongue is Afrikaans. I married an English women and we speak English at home but I still battle terribly with my English writing(and I am busy writing a book) lol.Will have that edited though.

But I do agree, we should at last try. Anyone for Afrikaans lessons?

SignManiac

When writing I do my best to state clearly what I am trying to convey. I do not fully understand all the necessary punctuation very well, but I am able to get my point across. My English education was pretty much over after the eight grade. I have no recollection of high school except for my art classes. I detested high school and pretty much smoked my way through those four miserable blurry years.

It wasn't until after I left school that I realized I needed to learn many things required in life and in business, that's when I began to apply myself. Necessity is the mother of invention and also in my case, education. I consider myself mostly self taught in everything I know, from a need to know basis.

I do believe that knowledge is crucial if you want to get ahead in life's endeavors, and you can never know too much. So there, their, and they're!

Border

I'm-a smellin a spellin felon, and I HATES me a spellin felon.
why can't we all jus be gel'n instead o' yellin???