• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spelling and grammar

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Spellin' felons, or mixed up melons...who's most wrong?...it's so hard tellin'. So bring back peace and stop the shellin'...'cause we're wastin' time...and sure not sellin'.

JB

Brad Knight

Uhhh – I’ll say this, out of respect for others; I try as hard as I can to write as clearly and concisely as I can. THAT means using proper spelling, punctuation and grammar. I don’t always succeed, but out of respect for YOU, I try. I think it makes people look more professional. I think it makes you properly compose your thoughts before you commit them to the screen.

Now, on the flip side, I don’t get offended by poor grammar – unless of course someone is trying to correct mine!! It’s up to us to decide if we get offended or not. I think the content of what you write is more important the spelling or grammar, BUT when you do use proper spelling and grammar, it is SO much easier to follow.

I mean, there is a reason for grammar. Just like traffic laws – speed signs, stop signs, yield signs – grammar gives structure and order to language, and language gives order to thoughts and ideas. That and it’s usually taught in kindergarten and grade school. I understand that not everyone goes to college and you don’t need a college degree or write like Henry David Thoreau. A subject, verb, and period; and ‘there’, ‘their’ and ‘they’re’ would suffice…

… out of respect for others.

Now, even after that though – I do have to admit that it’s VERY hard to write on my phone. It’s easy enough to peck out a few words – but it’s a pain to proof yourself when your typing with your thumbs.