• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Starting my own Business, Would like help naming.

BOTS

Hi everyone,
I've been working for a sign company for 5 years now, & just took a class on 3m wraps.
Looking to go out on my own, But I'm horrible with coming out with names.

Best thing I can come up with is Sign Relief, But everyone i talk to thinks its horrible.

Attachments

• newdawn.jpg
    newdawn.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 246

wildside

There is way more to it than just coming up with a name and going out on your own after taking a training class......

I assume you are going to specialize in wrapping (after the class), why use the name "sign" instead of wrap?

BOTS

There is way more to it than just coming up with a name and going out on your own after taking a training class......

I assume you are going to specialize in wrapping (after the class), why use the name "sign" instead of wrap?

Not sure what you mean by there way more involved then coming up with a name?

I do mostly signs & lettering, I really don't like doing wraps, Just the company I work for doesn't do them, and there always turning away the work.
I letter around 5-8 trucks/trailers a week for the company. and on weekends and nights I do 1-2 a week for myself & misc. signs

papabud

Lone Wolf
only 5 to 8 a week. i do 3 to 4 a day while doing 1 to 2 wraps a week.
what business model are you going to use. where will you produce your graphics
and a business name dez nutz signz and more

wildside

Business Licensing, Business Insurance, sales tax, permits, quarterlies, a/p, a/r, financing, cash flow, marketing, sales, equipment, customer service etc.

60% or more of owning a business has nothing to do with what the business actually does. I see a lot of shops pop up and go like the blazes for a year or even two, then they just kind of disappear. Having the ability to do work in the sign and graphic industry has little to do with running a business. I know of a very successful sign shop that the owner knows absolutely nothing about signs, but he knows how to handle employees, suppliers etc.and is quite successful, because he is a leader and not a boss. On the other hand, i know a very talented sign guy that baffles me with his natural ability, but has failed in business more than once, because he can't get a grasp on making ends meet without blowing money, and he kinda "hates" people.

I am all for anyone taking it by the balls and making their own money, but the luster of ownership is a dirty glass that some can't get clean. Just because their "boss" makes it work doesn't mean you will have the same success. Maybe you will have more success and if that is the case, more power to you!

BOTS

Business Licensing, Business Insurance, sales tax, permits, quarterlies, a/p, a/r, financing, cash flow, marketing, sales, equipment, customer service etc.

60% or more of owning a business has nothing to do with what the business actually does. I see a lot of shops pop up and go like the blazes for a year or even two, then they just kind of disappear. Having the ability to do work in the sign and graphic industry has little to do with running a business. I know of a very successful sign shop that the owner knows absolutely nothing about signs, but he knows how to handle employees, suppliers etc.and is quite successful, because he is a leader and not a boss. On the other hand, i know a very talented sign guy that baffles me with his natural ability, but has failed in business more than once, because he can't get a grasp on making ends meet without blowing money, and he kinda "hates" people.

I am all for anyone taking it by the balls and making their own money, but the luster of ownership is a dirty glass that some can't get clean. Just because their "boss" makes it work doesn't mean you will have the same success. Maybe you will have more success and if that is the case, more power to you!

Thank you wildside, I know it will be hard. I'm 1099, work for them under a llc, and have business insurance. I will have to learn how to do sales tax and ALLOT of other stuff.
The company I work for does all big signs, I just handle customers, sales, invoices, design, smaller signs(not permitted), truck/trailer lettering. I DO NOT want to do large signs or permitted work. (I know nothing about it). I love doing small/med signs and vehicles.

I'm looking at buying a roland uv flatbed & latex 560, laminator, plotter, etc.

so you guys dont like Sign Relief, Either I'm guessing, lol

BOTS

I agree on the Sign Relief name. What exactly are you relieving?

Was thinking You don't have to worry about it. Sign Relief - Relax we will handle it. or Relax were on it. something like that.

Like I said I'm terrible with names, lol.

Thanks everyone.

JERHEMI

Thinking of a unique name is the most difficult part. Then thinking of a unique name where there isn't another business out there with a similar name that can be confused for yours is even more difficult. Then once you have a unique business name all figured out, but then realize the .com exact match isn't available and the social media names aren't available. When that happens your best bet is to just start over and start brainstorming again because you're asking for headaches otherwise. When I was brainstorming business names, I automatically went straight to Godaddy to see if the .com was available before I even considered it. The name I ended up with I went to Godaddy and purchased every single variation and similar domains so nobody could buy them and infringe on my name and confuse my business for someone else. I own over 20 domains just to protect the main domain.

BOTS

Thinking of a unique name is the most difficult part. Then thinking of a unique name where there isn't another business out there with a similar name that can be confused for yours is even more difficult. Then once you have a unique business name all figured out, but then realize the .com exact match isn't available and the social media names aren't available. When that happens your best bet is to just start over and start brainstorming again because you're asking for headaches otherwise. When I was brainstorming business names, I automatically went straight to Godaddy to see if the .com was available before I even considered it. The name I ended up with I went to Godaddy and purchased every single variation and similar domains so nobody could buy them and infringe on my name and confuse my business for someone else. I own over 20 domains just to protect the main domain.

Yeah having a hard time, Might look into paying paying an online company to find names for me.
I bought a few already just in case, might even buy signaffect.com next, even tho probably will never use it.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I had a HARD HARD time picking name. I actually was driving down the road and took the first half of the name of a grocery store and paired it with the end of the street name and it didn't sound too bad. Domains and everything was available.

TimToad

Thank you wildside, I know it will be hard. I'm 1099, work for them under a llc, and have business insurance. I will have to learn how to do sales tax and ALLOT of other stuff.
The company I work for does all big signs, I just handle customers, sales, invoices, design, smaller signs(not permitted), truck/trailer lettering. I DO NOT want to do large signs or permitted work. (I know nothing about it). I love doing small/med signs and vehicles.

I'm looking at buying a roland uv flatbed & latex 560, laminator, plotter, etc.

so you guys dont like Sign Relief, Either I'm guessing, lol

Is this new venture going to be located in the same market area as your current employer? How do they feel about it?

How big is the market area you'll draw business from?

At least you have your sights set high on equipment. Looks like at least $100k worth of gear.

You have the volume to support a $65-70k flatbed?

BOTS

Is this new venture going to be located in the same market area as your current employer? How do they feel about it?

How big is the market area you'll draw business from?

At least you have your sights set high on equipment. Looks like at least $100k worth of gear.

You have the volume to support a $65-70k flatbed?

Market is very good, I'm on very good terms with them, and they want the big work. I asked them about maybe splitting up their business and selling me the vehicle & small sign side of it.

I have enough to buy them, I probably wouldn't need flatbed right away, just so nice to print the signs then clear coat them, without having to print, laminate, then stick.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Botz Signz, Wrapz, & Graphix

Just kidding... I just am not at all fond of replacing letters in words like that. No offense to any of the thousands of shops who have done that. Just my persona opinion is all.... :D

Something different? It does not have to be "sign shop" specific. Come up with something unique and different that is memorable. If it does not have a specific indication of what the business does than you can always use a tag line or something to indicate that or just make sure any marketing things you make address what it is you do. Numbers seem to be somewhat trendy now. 29 Design, Graphics 35, Media 44, etc (maybe use a very well known local highway number or something) or anything off the wall Fat Burrito Graphics, Acorn Design, etc, etc... Have to think outside the box and then come up with an awesome font to use and make a killer logo and potentially (even moreso on an off the wall type name) related graphic element as part of the logo.

Just some thoughts that popped in my head is all...