• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Super stuck Magnets

anotherdog

I have a customer I sold magnets to almost a year ago. Calls me up demanding that I pay to repaint their car because the magnets I sold to them are stuck fast (see pic).

Now aside from claiming they took the magnets off every week, they say this stuck over the space of three weeks.

Anyone seen this before?

Any ideas how this can be taken off without a sander?

I send each of these out with care instructions that say to take them off every week to clean and wipe dry.

Attachments

• Car3.jpg
    Car3.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 74

tomence

If they took their magnets off every week and cleaned them this wouldn't have happened at the first place. I think they were left on the vehicle for months.

Sticker Dude

I have in written very last of the care instructions that I am not responsible for any damage to the vehicle cause by misuse or the result of failure breakdown of magnetic material, then I have them sign it and I file it Just In Case!

thewood

What have your temperatures been like lately? Some manufacturers recommend not using magnetics in temps over 85°F. I've been warning my clients of this lately in addition to the standard instruction sheet/disclaimer I give them.

anotherdog

They are on a car in British Columbia. Not too hot to begin with, and this set has yet to go through a full summer.
I'm thinking they just got lazy and left them on for months.

Any ideas how to get this off?

Pro Image

Use a little chiseler and pick and pick and pick.....then buff the door out when its done.......

Let me guess.....Its not Magnum Magnetic stuff......If you use the cheap stuff this is what you get.......pay a little more and don't worry about this happening again........

radiohead223

we had a similar proplem years ago but it was cause the clients kids had spilt coke on the back of the magnet and then put it back on the car without cleaning it. took the car back down to bare metal

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Any ideas how to get this off?

The first suggestion I would have would be to freeze the magnet and the surface with something like a CO2 fire extinguisher, then immediately go at it with an application squeegee ... preferably protected with a soft cloth. The rubber always has a more difficult time sticking when it's below freezing.

If that doesn't work, try steam.

TheSnowman

I would be interested in knowing what brand that was, and how long it was left on. I'm not sure even in a YEAR it would stick that bad...at least not Magnum. I've never had any issues.

JR's

Let me guess.....Its not Magnum Magnetic stuff......If you use the cheap stuff this is what you get.......pay a little more and don't worry about this happening again........
:thumb: :thumb:

I have a woning sheet that state if thy don't remove ones a week and clean
and wax the back of the mag and car this will happen. thy sign it our thy order lettering.

now to the q? try freezing like Fred sed or heat. little chiseler. good luck.

JR

thewood

I'm not sure even in a YEAR it would stick that bad...at least not Magnum. I've never had any issues.

We had a set of Magnum mags come back last week that were stuck to a vehicle. They had only been on around a month. Of course, the client swears they followed all the rules. I have to chalk it up to the 90+ degree weather we've had the last couple months.

anotherdog

As I recall it was Rite-Media magnet. We have sold many many sets using it with no problems. Since I only made them back in November they could only have been on for nine months.

That said the customer is in sales and likely washes the car frequently. From the look of it all that moisture and detergent built up and glued the magnets to the paint.

Of course they are claiming they took them off every week and treated them with love and care.

No matter what brand the magnet, if detergent gets behind and is left to become glue, they are stuck.

AUTO-FX

i did some sales promo mags for a car dealer. they were placed on brand new cars out on the sales lot. the cars may have been washed a couple times over the course of a month. the magnets welded themselves to the paint and were ruined. a little wax alleviated the problem if applied before placing the magnet. maybe that should be in capital letters on the disclaimers?

ps. i also did a set of mags for a truck that had been recently repainted. the paint color was a metallic, and it seemed that after a month the metallic flakes in the paint had been drawn towards the surface, as buffing the paint didnt help the dull square the guy now has on his doors

Techman

its getting to be a common problem. Magnet is on for a week and it leaves a mark. I observed this several times in the past months.

It happened on my own vehicle. Made a set for a parade and left them on till the next weekend and they were sticky.

Wax em before they leave the shop or have the client coming back.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe there is any one scientific good reason this happens, so if you don't warn your customer about paint failure due to not removing these one or more times a week, cleaning and waxing back there... then be prepared to do battle.

It seems to happen more in the warmer months than the colder months. I've always experienced morning dew and temperature changes to be the biggest culprit. You get moisture back there and then it dries out over the course of the day... only to repeat itself day after day after day. What else do you expect to happen but failure. In nature on trees its called moss. If you keep anything in the dark and continue to add moisture, you're bound to have problems.... or mushrooms. Yes, I've even seen fungus growing behind magnetics... Anyway, after a while these two actions and reactions start to unite forming a bond which causes paint to peel... especially it the paint was weak to begin with. Now you have a problem to fix along with an unsatisfied customer.

You need to pass the information along. I've had only one or two people in almost 40 years come back and complain, but I was able to prove it was their neglect and not my problem to fix out of my pocket.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
We've had paint discoloration problems about three years back on two vehicles. Both were new and both were black and both were in hot weather. We now refuse to do magnets for black vehicles. We only use Magnum Magnetics sheet and we have never told clients to wax the backs. Other than that, we've had no problems.