• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tariff on Sign Blanks?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Does anyone know if ACM or the aluminum we buy come from overseas? Does this mean our costs are going up if the tariffs are imposed?

On a side note...Polycarb had a price hike recently.

equippaint

Will imported ACM be hit with a tariff since it is technically a finished good? I do believe the price will go up just due to the increase in material cost imported or not.
This thing is a terrible move just like the ones that were put on tires. Tariffs by design make sense, increase the cost of imports so they sell at a price level where domestic manufacturers can compete. In actuality, the domestic manufacturers just increase their prices and the price differential between imports and domestic products remains unchanged. Then we are stuck with across the board higher prices. Just another give away financed by the worker bees of society.

Billct2

In looking for information about whether the tariffs will applied to finished goods apparently that hasn't been decided.

ikarasu

Prices will go up, but it depends on how much... And if he actually pushes the taxes through. Congress will fight him on this one, because it's bound to start trade wars with a few key countries that would hurt the US economy pretty bad.

There are a few countries that are flooding the market and killing the industry, but a blanket wide tax increase on imports isn't the right move. Even the steel workers have been fighting to get Canada exempt from the tarrif because we're not the problem, and they said costs of everything will go up if it's taxed.

On paper, to a business man... An extra 15-20% fee for allowing someone to sell us their product seems smart. It's what happens after that's going to hurt everyone, that trump doesn't seem to see.

I'm hoping cost of business doesn't go up much for you guys!

Johnny Best

Dang people, "the trickle down my throat" effect of beer being poured into me might raise the cost because of aluminum cans. Might have to switch to glass bottles.
I am sure ACM and things made of steel and aluminum will rise and we will see a cost increase and then we will charge more for our products. It all gets passed along.
If it wasn't for unions and politicians being so greedy, steel plants would still be thriving in Buffalo.
But they moved out to other countries because of rising costs.
On a brighter side, there is not so much pollution and dirty water anymore since they closed down. Also not as much work either.

TimToad

Dang people, "the trickle down my throat" effect of beer being poured into me might raise the cost because of aluminum cans. Might have to switch to glass bottles.
I am sure ACM and things made of steel and aluminum will rise and we will see a cost increase and then we will charge more for our products. It all gets passed along.
If it wasn't for unions and politicians being so greedy, steel plants would still be thriving in Buffalo.
But they moved out to other countries because of rising costs.
On a brighter side, there is not so much pollution and dirty water anymore since they closed down. Also not as much work either.

Yes, those silly fellow workers wanting to destroy their own futures because they couldn't figure out how to work for an 1/8th of what they were accustomed to living a decent life with before the rush of globalization took over. How dare they.

I wonder what ever happened to the Sign and Pictorial Painters Union in Buffalo and the family wages and benefits that they fought for so everyone in the trade could live a better life, not just the shareholders?

Probably went the way of the Buffalo. How fitting.

Johnny Best

The 60s and 70s kind of wreaked unions. Was a member of AFL-CIO for awhile but became disenchanted with the organization along with the government. Try to think and fend for myself when it comes to business. You have to adapt to what is going on. To run a business and pay the high union wages and meet their demands you will be massacred like the Buffalo was.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Well maybe I'll have an excuse to raise my prices by 25%... hey, it's not our fault..you can thank Trump. (Then I'll secretly thank him)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yep, let's blame everything on Trump. He's responsible for everything you people have endured for the last 20 or 40 years. In fact, maybe even the last 60 or 70 years.

So what ?? Prices go up all the time for any number of reasons. Acrylics and poly are going up, due to the bad hurricanes where 60% of all of it is made. That's Trump's fault, too, huh ??

Ya have people coming on here complaining about high costs of inks and turning to 3rd party inks...... that's Trump's fault, too.

No one wants to pay for fonts, they want them free, but again, that's Trump's fault.

You people just wanna gripe for the sake of your own short comings.

Either roll with the punches or roll over and get outta the way. Just stop your frickin bellaching all the time.

signbrad

Johnny,
I am starting to re-use my bottles. At least my growler size. Of course, I miss out on enjoying the cool labels and creative names (Arrogant B****rd Ale & Wicked Truth Stout, for examples). And sometimes I forget what's in the bottle, which can be troubling. But I am saving money and bypassing the aluminum issue.

My next step is to homebrew. I took a beginners class and bought a basic equipment kit. I even joined the KC Biermeisters brewing club. I'm almost ready for my first batch.

TimToad

Well maybe I'll have an excuse to raise my prices by 25%... hey, it's not our fault..you can thank Trump. (Then I'll secretly thank him)

If any of us were to instantly raise our prices 25%, I think we'd have some real explaining to do to our customers.

The reality is that the unintended consequences of this irrational, barely researched, knee jerk move will likely negate any of the temporary tax cuts most working class folks are receiving and likely hit the other affected industries once the retaliatory tariffs against us are applied. The EU is already talking about tariffs on Coke, Levi's and Harley Davidson. Once the great orange genius tacks on tariffs to imported BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, Volvos, etc. we can expect the same on our auto industry.

Mexico has already shifted most of its corn imports from the U.S. to Venezuela and other Central American countries.

All this winning will ultimately have costs for those unable to see past the rhetoric and the bigger picture.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I wasn't really be serious. I'm not for tariffs, nor am I all that concerned about a trade deficit... we're majority consumers and not producers... I like consuming.

TimToad

Johnny,
I am starting to re-use my bottles. At least my growler size. Of course, I miss out on enjoying the cool labels and creative names (Arrogant B****rd Ale & Wicked Truth Stout, for examples). And sometimes I forget what's in the bottle, which can be troubling. But I am saving money and bypassing the aluminum issue.

My next step is to homebrew. I took a beginners class and bought a basic equipment kit. I even joined the KC Biermeisters brewing club. I'm almost ready for my first batch.
There is also drinking at your favorite craft brewery with other like minded folks who appreciate the product and helping make for a more interactive experience and community building endeavor.

rjssigns

Be interesting to see what the tariffs do to Chinese steel and aluminum imports. Most also don't realize Chinese steel production is subsidized by the Chinese government on top of workers not getting paid much. Something else that makes the outcome unpredictable is the U.S. is responsible for buying roughly 20% of China's steel and aluminum. Will Chinese leaders invoke punitive measures?
Lots of moving parts folks. It will be interesting for sure.

Sandman

I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch because some costs go up. In the end those costs get passed on to the customer. That's how business works. Everybody will be paying for the same increase. Cost of materials always goes up, your prices go up to cover them along with everybody else.

Johnny Best

I was surprised we did not have tariffs on those materials already. How come the government makes us pay for permits, fees for having licenses in the city, county and state to do business, but does not charge outside countries to do business with tariffs. Should have been in place long ago.
It will be interesting to see if this all works out.

Oroscoe

Prices on supplies go up every other day. The tariff on aluminum goes up then what other choice do you have. You just have to go up as well. We have all been doing it for years.
Hell, 3m goes up 3 to 4 percent every year sometimes twice a year.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I keep hearing we need more jobs, we need more jobs. Have you seen the talent pool lately? We need more people willing to further themselves rather then keep living a life that holds them back.