• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Think about getting into the full color sign business

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Uhh.. why have a newbie forum if every single newbie gets trashed?

blondie.gif
Uhh ... I guess because a lot of newbies don't get trashed and a few are actually at a point in their research and learning process to be able to form a reasonable question.

signmeup

Sorry....I just thought the title was funny. "Full Color....." Beginners should limit themselves to two or three colors at first. I slay me! Shutting up now....

yukon

First off... Welcome to Signs 101.

To answer your question, I would suggest going to a signshow and picking the brains of all the distributers at the shows. They are eager to show off their equipment, will answer all your questions, and demonstrate every aspect from designing to equipment. It's somewhat awkward for some of us to advise you especially since you are trying to tap into our expertise which is based on years and years of experience, trial and error, mistakes, revelations, etc. Most of us have not had the benefit of the "internet" holding our hand and guiding us through a new business venture.
Make friends with a sign guy in your area and try to get your feet wet, humblely. Realize it's a lot of work and don't expect any miracles.

Just my opinion...

Yukon

Ponto

Well said Yukon... this is a disturbing trend and a difficult one to respond to and I roll my eyes at such queries...!

JP

bjones

blondie.gif
Uhh ... I guess because a lot of newbies don't get trashed and a few are actually at a point in their research and learning process to be able to form a reasonable question.

So, who are you to judge what is 'reasonable' and why should ANYONE new to this forum that you run be trashed if not provoked? Everyone learns a different way, some like to ask questions and get interactive answers from people already in the business, some head to the library and don't come out until they know all they can.. Everyone's different. Seems if you don't ask your question in just the right fashion around here you get blasted. Supposed to be professionals here right? If so, why does everyone act like children as if everyone that has a cricut is going to put them out of business? God I would hope that people really don't think it's cheap equipment that makes a signmaker. I'm sure all of us at some point in our careers had to ask that question, what should I buy if I choose to go into this aspect of the business. Many different ways to do research, don't get hung up on it having to be your way.

TheSnowman

Because we get 10 people a week (and then we have this exact same discussion every week) that come on and say..."I need some advice on what euipment ( brand names,models #'s, etc) i should be looking at to fullfill my needs."

So instead of them even researching anything, or heck, even telling us anything about them other than "Location: SHOP" they want us to tell them what to do w/o putting any effort into it.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
So, who are you to judge what is 'reasonable' and why should ANYONE new to this forum that you run be trashed if not provoked? Everyone learns a different way, some like to ask questions and get interactive answers from people already in the business, some head to the library and don't come out until they know all they can.. Everyone's different. Seems if you don't ask your question in just the right fashion around here you get blasted. Supposed to be professionals here right? If so, why does everyone act like children as if everyone that has a cricut is going to put them out of business? God I would hope that people really don't think it's cheap equipment that makes a signmaker. I'm sure all of us at some point in our careers had to ask that question, what should I buy if I choose to go into this aspect of the business. Many different ways to do research, don't get hung up on it having to be your way.

I'm the guy who has paid his dues and learned his craft over the last 26 years. I'm the guy who has always supported those who help me, from vendors to peers, to advance my knowledge and my business. I'm the guy who has invested a huge amount of his time in the last five years attempting to make Signs 101 the best forum and information resource on the internet. I'm the guy who has seen his business along with that of many of his friends be decimated by do-it-yourselfers, daytrippers and software sharers.

I'm the guy who monitors the new registrations and has to reject several every day who feel they should be entitled to benefit from Signs 101 without being required to supply their true identity in private. I'm the guy who monitors the new registrations and witnesses the onslaught of new folks coming into the business who appear to have absolutely no reason to have made such a choice.

I'm the guy who long ago recognized the need to help other sign professionals improve their skills and their profitability and did something about it.

I'm also the guy who believes that there is nothing wrong with establishing a base criteria for what constitutes a request for help that I will respond to. I wouldn't go to a forum and ask what is the best plotter. I would go to a forum and explain my needs and goals and then ask which of a 24" or a 48" plotter of a particular brand would be my better choice.

Simply put, the original poster here made not discernible effort to find his own answers and then proceeded to ask so broad a question that no one could possibly supply a reasonable answer other than: Do some research. Asking an unresearched question at a forum is not research and members reading such posts are free to respond as they see fit.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Now that’s just plain funny……​

You think because there is a category titled ‘Newbie’….. it gives the poster the advantage of posting stupid questions without getting blasted ?? Do you actually believe there is some sort of invisible dumb question newbie umbrella protector ??

Being a professional sign maker does not mean we have to do anything to YOUR…. or anyone else’s particular set of rules. No, it simply means we already know and if we feel like being as asshole… we can. If we feel like answering….. we can. If we feel like testing someone’s integrity…. we can. We have as much right and say so as the one posting nonsense. Whether the thread takes a turn for the worse is up to how thick of a skin he/she has.

The old gripe about everyone acting like children… or they had to start somewhere is really lame. Of course we all started somewhere and we all took the ribbing, hazing and paid the initiation dues. So pipe down, sit back and watch the fun unveil before your very eyes.

So, in answering your request of ‘having it your way’…. sounds like a catchy little phrase……..did ya think that one up all by yourself ?? Yeah, kinda like having it our way, because if you stick it out and get to know the vast majority here…. you’ll learn a lot more here, than on any other forum and the ‘School of Hard Knocks’ won’t take so long from which to graduate.

Last edited:

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
With 12,000+ members you are bound to get a full range of responses. Especially with the lack of face to face interaction, you can easily anonymously lash out at one another to let out your aggressions

Also, tone is difficult to gauge from online interactions. A harmless response can be read in more ways than one

Though with only 1 response from this poster, I am smelling something fishy again. Another firestarter?

imagep

Here is where I don' t think yall are being fair. The origional poster never indicated that he was not in the sign business. He could already be doing just cut vinyl graphics or maybe even hand painted signage. He could have years of experiance as an installer. We don't know.

We did cut vinyl for a couple of years before we went into wide format. Everybody has to start somewhere.