• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thoughts on my logo? Thoughts on the name?

OldPaint

Hey Old Paint, I am newbie to biz and this is a legit question:
How come you don't have your area code on your card. I see this every now and then on cards and signs and am always curious "Why?" Does the business not want calls from prospects out of the area?

I am not much into negative space on a card either, after all it is the biggest piece of advertising for your company might as well enlighten the receiver.

WHY? its a CELL PHONE NUMBER(most cell phone calls will find automatically the area code..........and iam on the border of FL/AL. ..if the person is to dumb to figure out that aim in FL.......... i dont want to deal with em)))))))))))))))
i did local baseball signs for years.......and was amazed that these people wanted the area code....on a sign for little league field signs. i dont think many outa towners attended their games but.....i had to put em on there. which was dumb.
the area code on signs here didnt kick in on all signs till hurricane IVAN!!!! then we had people from everywhere here working.
and i agree with you.....AS A BUSINESS CARD...... it is intended to provide as much information as possible, as readable and large as it can be....as its never gona been seen at a distance greater then .....YOU ARMS REACH))))) negative space on ROADSIDE SIGNS, MOVING VEHICLES is important as it gives separation between words/ideas. if the sign is moving or you are moving........YOU NEED NEGATIVE SPACE so it all dont run together. add to this KENNING, is also providing negative space .........which most on here have no idea of how to use.take the word SALE........as i typed it, it is what it is. now add a space between the letters now it becomes S A L E, make it 2 spaces........S. A. L. E.......so using the negative space properly can make a sign more then a S I G N))))had to ad periods as the auto correct dont allow wide gap...

Dan Antonelli

I compete on several logo websites, and it has been a great study. I have seen great logos and the purchaser will pick some random run of the mill, done a million times logo. While some of the other I thought were great original design and concepts and are completely looked over.
Take this blue dog logo as an example, first of all it would not be accepted on those sites because it is not original art, but that being said, some of you on here like it and others see it as a common logo. My point is that it has come to my conclusion that anything will work as a logo. Because just as we all agree what makes a beautiful women on the front cover of SI, most, over 47%, will all agree on telling you what is a good logo because it has been accepted as good.
And for those of you who are still contemplating what I just wrote. If you did hookup with the ST model and lived with her, you might find out she cannot cook, she has a funny odor, she is a narcissistic person and goes into tirades about getting older.

John -can you clarify about 'who' would not accept it because it's not original art? We have several of our logos ripped off on these 'contest' sites, many of them committing blatant trademark infringement. So I'm curious who there is actually policing this. I know this because many of these contest sites have links back to our site in their creative briefs, and the contest holder requests that they copy our work. We track the link back and see the contestants 'original' work, and they're ripoffs.

Signmaker1234

Please explain

I compete on several logo websites, and it has been a great study. I have seen great logos and the purchaser will pick some random run of the mill, done a million times logo. While some of the other I thought were great original design and concepts and are completely looked over.
Take this blue dog logo as an example, first of all it would not be accepted on those sites because it is not original art, but that being said, some of you on here like it and others see it as a common logo. My point is that it has come to my conclusion that anything will work as a logo. Because just as we all agree what makes a beautiful women on the front cover of SI, most, over 47%, will all agree on telling you what is a good logo because it has been accepted as good.
And for those of you who are still contemplating what I just wrote. If you did hookup with the ST model and lived with her, you might find out she cannot cook, she has a funny odor, she is a narcissistic person and goes into tirades about getting older.

"original art" ?

John Butto

To Dan & signmaker1234

Dan, I realize that a lot of work is copied. I have not gone on every site and gone through every post but just the ones I am competing on. I have had people copy my work and it does not bother me. Just as designs for cars, fashion, printers, military equipment and the list goes on and on. The only people who police it on those websites usually are other people competing. If one person is usually doing it so often a person like Fred who monitors the site will kick that person off. You cannot stop it because anyone with a computer knows how to take a screenshot. A lot of times the people who are purchasing it do not care if it is copied and will use it anyway. And if you do not want your work being copied, do not put it out there because it will be, and the laws in Pakistan or Mozambique, well, I do not think they will be concerned about your problem.
Signmaker1234, is that your original artwork of the dog, did you actually draw it. If you did, it seems you would be proud of it and not ask us if we liked it or not. Like Dan or Joe, when they display their stuff, do they ask for an opinion, people might give it, but they are proud of the company's work. And like them, if you are looking for recognition from your fellow sign folks, you might have to raise your voice so as to heard in the cheap seats.

Techman

some of you guys are entertaining.
On one hand some will execute and crucify another if they find someone rip off other's work. Then along comes one blatantly using a well known artwork and some folks say ya, go for it. Its fine,, Ya good deal. Go ahead and rip it off.

geeses.. that is so friggin strange...

jh.......its a business card.......2 inch X 3 inch.........and negative space on that size is not needed)))))))) i have been handed business card WITH NEGATIVE SPACE APLENTY......text so small you need a magnifying glass to read it at arms length..... iam happy with what i got..........2 complaints in 20 years.....hummmmm i guess your opinion dont matter............to anyone but younz 2
))))

Hey, OldPaint. 1972 wants it's design back.

Maybe you should try a more classic approach and utilize some negative space. It's not just for road signs in passing.

Attachments

• sign biz card copy.jpg
    sign biz card copy.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 128
  • sign biz card back copy.jpg
    sign biz card back copy.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 158
In response to the original post, I don't mind the name, although it's not something I would necessarily pick. For what it is, I like the logo, at least thus far. I'm curious to see a full color version of this. I would hope for a slightly more detailed dog icon and some great color that really pops on blue like some gold or orange.

S'N'S

some of you guys are entertaining.
On one hand some will execute and crucify another if they find someone rip off other's work. Then along comes one blatantly using a well known artwork and some folks say ya, go for it. Its fine,, Ya good deal. Go ahead and rip it off.

geeses.. that is so friggin strange...

Can you post a picture of this "well known artwork" so we can compare.

JonMiller

I like your logo in the first post although surely either the dog lettering or the dog itself should be blue? :D

Also, a lot of major names have nothing to do with their subject and is just about advertising. Moonpig for example is a massive card/flower etc seller here and what on Earth does that have to do with cards :D

Jon

CES020

I seem to remember a tv show that used that same type logo. It was something along the fear factor lines, maybe? I know it wasn't Fear Factor, but it was in that era. Anyone remember it? It just seems to really look familiar but I can't recall the tv show.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I seem to remember a tv show that used that same type logo. It was something along the fear factor lines, maybe? I know it wasn't Fear Factor, but it was in that era. Anyone remember it? It just seems to really look familiar but I can't recall the tv show.

dog eat dog.png

Signmaker1234

Ty

In response to the original post, I don't mind the name, although it's not something I would necessarily pick. For what it is, I like the logo, at least thus far. I'm curious to see a full color version of this. I would hope for a slightly more detailed dog icon and some great color that really pops on blue like some gold or orange.

Thanks for the feedback! As for color, it most likely will be blue, one color, no effects.

Signmaker1234

Ty

I like your logo in the first post although surely either the dog lettering or the dog itself should be blue? :D

Also, a lot of major names have nothing to do with their subject and is just about advertising. Moonpig for example is a massive card/flower etc seller here and what on Earth does that have to do with cards :D

Jon

Thank you you for the feedback! It will be blue.

CES020

That's the one! Not what I thought it looked like from memory.

doggy.png

Attachments

• doggy.png
    doggy.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 130

OldPaint

Hey, OldPaint. 1972 wants it's design back.

Maybe you should try a more classic approach and utilize some negative space. It's not just for road signs in passing.
SO YOU SAY.....as doing this for a good 28 years.........and being sucessfull at and doing MANY MANY business card designs......and vehicle layouts....your is ok, BUT THEN......looks like so many others i have seen in 30 years of looking at others business cards....
MINE....... is what i consider a clean design. lack of negative space......is not a problem..ITS A 2 x 3 INCH BUSINESS CARD... keep that in perspective.
at arms length.......it does convey the message i wish to project....again if some here dont like it.......THEY ARE NOT MY CLIENTÈLE.......and it dont matter what they think. and I LIKE IT.......its my design NOT LIKE ANY OTHERS.....their is my point.......john deaton did the cartoon for me.......he is awesome....

Attachments

• joepribish.jpg
    joepribish.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 127

CES020

it does convey the message i wish to project....again if some here dont like it.......THEY ARE NOT MY CLIENTÈLE.......and it dont matter what they think. and I LIKE IT.......its my design NOT LIKE ANY OTHERS.....their is my point.......john deaton did the cartoon for me.......he is awesome....

You do realize that's the exact same argument people give to you when you tell them their layout is bad, right?

Signmaker1234

Original artwork

Dan, I realize that a lot of work is copied. I have not gone on every site and gone through every post but just the ones I am competing on. I have had people copy my work and it does not bother me. Just as designs for cars, fashion, printers, military equipment and the list goes on and on. The only people who police it on those websites usually are other people competing. If one person is usually doing it so often a person like Fred who monitors the site will kick that person off. You cannot stop it because anyone with a computer knows how to take a screenshot. A lot of times the people who are purchasing it do not care if it is copied and will use it anyway. And if you do not want your work being copied, do not put it out there because it will be, and the laws in Pakistan or Mozambique, well, I do not think they will be concerned about your problem.
Signmaker1234, is that your original artwork of the dog, did you actually draw it. If you did, it seems you would be proud of it and not ask us if we liked it or not. Like Dan or Joe, when they display their stuff, do they ask for an opinion, people might give it, but they are proud of the company's work. And like them, if you are looking for recognition from your fellow sign folks, you might have to raise your voice so as to heard in the cheap seats.

You are correct, I did not draw the dog, it was picked from about 30 other dogs, which I paid for, nor did I create the font (also bought). I looked at a lot of fonts and found one I thought fit the look I was going for.

In my opinion or my definition, as of now anyways, (I'm open for change) I would still call this original. It is a collaboration of items that I picked and grouped to form the logo. I am proud of it.

The dog is just one element of the design, the font is another element, together they form the logo. You didn't say anything about the font. Does everyone create there own fonts when designing a logo, I'm asking because I don't know?

If I apply your definition to other to other forms of art, such as landscape design or installation art, it would be saying that their work is not original. Most likely the plants would be bought as would items in the installation artists work also.

This is is my opinion, thanks for the feedback!

Last edited: