• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SignManiac

Before you waste anymore time, I would insist on a sit down with the client and start asking questions as to what direction they want to go. You need to dig if you want to get off on the right track. Without any clue as to what his company is about, you can spin your wheels forever and never hit the mark...

signmeup

Here's one I did of a drywaller. He's doing his thing just like a pool guy could be doing his thing. You could put "FC" on his overalls and swap out the trowel for a brush or sponge or some such.

Attachments

• DrFill.jpg
    DrFill.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 94

ucmj22

I like how you did that. Can you tell me how you did that?

I have another font in mind that I would like to try that on.

I did it in illustrator and quickly so it isnt ready to cut and kinda hard to explain since im about to leave for a meeting. PM me your info, and I will send you the eps to experiment with.

wildside

I like how you did that. Can you tell me how you did that?

I have another font in mind that I would like to try that on.

am i missing something, a two tone lettering might be the most primitive of things to do with typestyles

if you are going to just straight type something in and then color it all fancy, you have not created a logo, you have created 3rd period art class

as far as pencil sketching something up and then take it to the client and see what they think..... go to mcdonalds and tell them you want a hamburger and after you eat it, if you liked it, you will pay them for it..... they may laugh right at you but will most likely look at you amazed and then laugh to their buddies later about it

ucmj22

if you are going to just straight type something in and then color it all fancy, you have not created a logo, you have created 3rd period art class

Simplicity and focused ideas are IMHO The most effective designs. I have a Helvetica approach to design which doesn't always mesh well with sign design, but thats my style.

iSign

Jason, no time to sketch something yet, on top of what i chose to do instead, but here is 10 business card designs. Half of them were charged at least $500 for logo design first, and later the cards were designed for a fee, and printed for a profit.

I scanned them because while they aren't great by S101 standards, they are better then yours (I think) and could be a source of inspiration.

I included a few that have those retro tradesman cartoons Adrian was talking about.
There are also a few that have NO graphic element at all, and there is at least one ("CCF") that has a sort of monogram, which is what I think might work for the FC guy.

I think it's important to ask yourself at the onset: "hmmm... do I have the skilles to attempt to draw a pool ladder, and make it look good on a letter F, in a reasonable time frame, within the clients budget... and if the answer is NO (which it is, bt the way) then FORGET that idea before you waste any time on it...

by the way, WHAT IS THE BUDGET?

10logos.jpg

Tim Kingston

Simplicity and focused ideas are IMHO The most effective designs. I have a Helvetica approach to design which doesn't always mesh well with sign design, but thats my style.

I agree 100% with you. I thought your original idea was very creative and I thought you were very generous in reaching out to help. If I were "Addie" , and I'm being quite honest here, I'd take this original approach, with your permission, to the client. Then, I'd ask you to work on refining it with me if possible and then I would pay you a fair amount, which should be the full amount for this part of the project. Then I'd count myself lucky to have learned a few good lessons and perhaps build a good business relationship with you for the future. This is exactly what I'd do because not only is it the right thing to do, it's the smart thing to do. Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.