• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using Craigslist

ams

I've received jobs from craigslist. Post in the business/commercial section, also in the Cars and Trucks, and in Services.

Locals Find!

By low balling prices like those banners you told us about earlier?? I am sure your phone was ringing off the hook.

3 x 8 foot double sided banners under $100 each... YEAH!!!!

Lets Brag about that, while everyone here fights to feed their families off what little profits they're able to maintain.

American & Proud

pat whatley had some success with a dishwasher on craigslist

LMAO I recently came across that thread and read it all, it was Funny!

To the OP, Using CL is certain Death, you fight with amatures Giving signs and banners away.

I am an amature myself still, but I sure would NOT stoop to that Bottom Feeder mentality!

I'd rather sell ONE banner at a reasonable profit than make 10 for the Same amount of profit.

And work on my skills in Flexi while waiting for the next job.

Jillbeans

I only go to Craigslist to look at naked men and laugh over the rants and raves.
A person who is sign shopping on CL is probably a person who wants something for nothing.
Not the kind of client I want to appeal to.
To me the CL or FleaBay "signmaker" is on par with the person at the flea market selling peeing Calvin stickers.
Or the soccer mom with a CriCut.
But they do keep the tire kickers out of my shop so I guess they serve a purpose.

ams

Actually I've done alot of stuff on craigslist. But hey if you don't want the business then don't take. When someone comes to me and says "put this on the back window of my car" and I say okay that is $50 they are like pricey but I want it.

Locals Find!

Actually I've done alot of stuff on craigslist. But hey if you don't want the business then don't take. When someone comes to me and says "put this on the back window of my car" and I say okay that is $50 they are like pricey but I want it.

I really hope your just telling us the install rate. If you plotting the vinyl and putting it on the car for $50 your just way too cheap!!!

My mechanic charges $65 just to pop your hood and look at your engine and he doesn't even touch it for that price. He just looks and says "Yep you got something broken, would you like me to go on??"

My minimum for plotting vinyl is $35 and goes up from there and then its a minimum $50 for me to walk out and put it on your car.

CheapVehicleWrap

What could you possibly put on someones window for $50 (and they think it's pricey). For $50 I'll wash someones windows, inside and out.

ams

Just "street racer" in white. I should have charged $40 but eh needed the money.

So for all of you that think craigslist is for broke dead beats. How come hundreds of commercial businesses use craigslist? So the work I do for an big name insurance agency is just a cheapo that isn't worth doing? wow.... just wow..

Flame

Guys seriously. Stop, he's just trolling for reactions. And you're giving them to him. Tell him buhbye if you will but why the **** are you even bothering replying to him/her?

Fitch

I understand that the US economy is bad at the moment but I won't even turn the plotter on for less than $60. Get me on a "bad day" or good week when I don't need it and it's $100.

If we take absolutes and you are doing the right thing (choosing good fonts, cast vinyl etc), chances are it will take no less than 1 hour.

1) Discuss with customer
2) Design (choose fonts)
3) Turn plotter on selct vinyl, load vinyl, cut, weed, mask.
4) Use quality chemicals to clean window
5) Mix small batch of "hot" app fluid (being glass don't want the client here all day waiting for app fluid to dry)
6) Issue invoice
7) Clean up utensils and restock vinyl

Take materials out - probably costs $15. Add into that electricity, chemicals, blah blah blah and you are probably making $15 for the hour.

Unless you are quick.... not a good hourly rate to be successful and put some $$$ away for when you need to replace that $1000 piece of equipment.

To put it in context, you would have to do 66 vehicle windows to cover the $1000.

Food for thought.

Cheers - G

ams

I understand that the US economy is bad at the moment but I won't even turn the plotter on for less than $60. Get me on a "bad day" or good week when I don't need it and it's $100.

If we take absolutes and you are doing the right thing (choosing good fonts, cast vinyl etc), chances are it will take no less than 1 hour.

1) Discuss with customer
2) Design (choose fonts)
3) Turn plotter on selct vinyl, load vinyl, cut, weed, mask.
4) Use quality chemicals to clean window
5) Mix small batch of "hot" app fluid (being glass don't want the client here all day waiting for app fluid to dry)
6) Issue invoice
7) Clean up utensils and restock vinyl

Take materials out - probably costs $15. Add into that electricity, chemicals, blah blah blah and you are probably making $15 for the hour.

Unless you are quick.... not a good hourly rate to be successful and put some $$$ away for when you need to replace that $1000 piece of equipment.

To put it in context, you would have to do 66 vehicle windows to cover the $1000.

Food for thought.

Cheers - G

So again when an insurance company wants $500 worth of signage, you actually turn it down? I wonder why you are still in business.

Fitch

"So again when an insurance company wants $500 worth of signage, you actually turn it down? I wonder why you are still in business."

I am still in business because I know what the phuck I am doing and talking about , and I would be charging $ 5000 for the Insurance Company business.

That's why I have been doing this for 16 years and made 203 posts in well over a year.

I know when to put up and I know when to shut up.