• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Valuejet

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Installing Media and starting the device is really easy i walk in to the printer room and in less than 5 minutes its up and running.

Sounds like waking up in the morning and wandering into the bathroom !!! :Sleeping:

Buddy

We just bought the ValueJet after much deliberation and studying of alternative brands. Waiting shipment.

GB2

Old Member
I saw and demoed the ValueJet at the USSC Sign World Show in Atlantic City this past weekend. It was generating a lot of interest from everybody there and did a great job on some test printing files that I brought with me. I'm very, very interested in anybody's opinion on actual use of the machine. Mutoh was never really a brand that I had interest in, nobody seemed to speak very highly of the name previously but when I suggested to a vendor at the show that I'd like to ask around for opinions before I'd plunk down some cash, he said quite frankly, "Nobody has one and nobody likes Mutoh". Huh? What was that? Well, as he went on to tell me, the ValueJet is a completely new design which uses the newest model print heads and technology and is set to turn the company around and separate it from it's past experiences. Now, this is a vendor that sells Mutoh, HP, Mimaki and maybe another and he claims there is no comparison in this price category. From my limited previewing, I can't argue, but I would love to hear some actual in use feedback.

FrankenSigns.biz

I am getting opinions about this machine that run the gamut from "you're a fool not to buy it" to "you're a fool if you buy it". The trashing is derived from Mutoh's apparent horrid reputation. This machine sounds too good to be true and you know what they say, "if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is". There has to be a catch or Achilles heel. I have three Roland print-plotters and they are busy 9 to 5. I could really use this this kind of throughput at this price-point. It sounds like a no-brainer. But I need concrete, real-world information or maybe a 90 day money-back guarantee. I would really like to investigate this and get some concrete data. I'm not one to drop $14,000 on a white elephant.

Biff Smith
http://www.colorondemand.com/

Andrea

My company (Creative Visual Systems -NJ) also jumped on the Mutoh bandwagon when this printer was released. I agree with the posters who say that this new, "wave" print technology is the best thing since sliced bread! The speed is decent, at 140sq ft per hour in production mode. We received our demo model about two weeks ago, and the prints have looked great on whatever media we have tried out. According to our tech, who set this machine up, he says it was the easiest machine to set up and operate, compared to the Seiko's, HP's, Mimakis, etc. The other nice thing about the ValueJet is that it comes with a 1 year parts & labor warranty, and extended service contracts can be purchased. Although my company is an authorized Mutoh service facility, I don't expect to be seeing any Mutoh's anytime soon for service. This is by far the best printer I've seen in a long, long time.

Buddy

Just got our ValueJet...waiting setup on Tuesday....we also got the Mutoh 48'' cutter which supposedly has firmware / software enhancements to the countour cutting portion.

Stay tuned for more........

BUDDY

Buddy

Love the printer / ValueJet. Super fast (4x8's in 20 minutes). The print quality is off the charts. Banding is a non-issue and 720 x 720 is absolutely brilliant sensational resolution with deep saturation. No need for the ultra high res 1440 x 1440 unless someone comes in and want art reproduction (hope not). I suppose we could get even faster prints at a lower resolution / banner quality ? 4 x 8's in 20 minutes at 720 x 720 absolute dazling colors and perfection..........is good enough and fast enough for us..........right now.

As for the Mutoh cutter ? That is still a work in progress. It is challenging to learn and we're still working on it.

The printer has been a piece of cake for the person using it (which is not me).

BUDDY

dzign

I bought a 48" ValueJet recently, including Flexi 8, Enduralam 53" laminator, Graphtec 7000-130, 54" plotter and lots of media and inks from SignWarehouse. Here's my story so far. The printer is absolutely kick A$$. I've never used a wide-format printer, much less a laminator or the high tech features of the Graphtec while contour-cutting until now. I've been able to finally output my most creative designs MYSELF! It's all very addictive like it used to be when I bought my first computer system in '93. The only problem s have been with the smart chips on the inks, only because I was shipped outdated cartridges. SW is taking care of me all the way. Great support (have to wait to get answers, but I get quality ones). I paid way more than the 18k a previous poster did, but I've gotten lots of extras along the way and generally feel satisfied. Nobody has been able to cut a better deal than SW. Although I'm not as picky as some, there are issues with media not clean and causing some fisheyes. This has occurred with one roll and I'm hoping its not something that will haunt me down the road as I buy more media. I'm pretty amazed at how much printing can be done with the inks before they run out. Haven't had a cartridge say it needs changing yet, but will let you all know how that goes. Matching colors has been a little tricky as I setup my designs in Adobe and import them into Flexi, but the spectrum is all there, and beautifully so. There's a lot to be learned. With the Graphtec's contour cutting and the printer's output, both machines running separate jobs simultaneously, I'm glad I opted for a non-hybrid printer. It's a money machine. I've lived too long without it. Anybody else relate to this, please reply.

Buddy

Thanks for the info....we just bought a Mutoh ValueJet and cutter.

I almost went with SW but was afraid their version of the ValueJet (PrismV) might have outdated chips or firmware. But didn't know....I was just not sure. I'm sure it's great however.

Our ValueJet is incredible. Can't say enough about it.

Our Mutoh cutter is also but you about have to go to classes to learn how to run it.

BUDDY

tjybcy

Hi buddy,
Is your printer still doing well?? Any concerns or problems yet? We are also thinking of getting this same package thru SignWarehouse, but I'm a nervous wreck! What size printer did you get? We were going to get the 48", but I'm concerned about not finding much media of that size out there. How do you print somehting 4 ft without having 4 ft media?? I'm just bugged by that issue & am afraid that we'll waste a lot of material or not be able to do some of the larger sign jobs due to the size limitation with a 48". What do you think?
Thanks,
Teresa

Buddy

Our ValueJet printer is doing great. We did not buy the 'off brand' from Sign Warehouse. Not saying the PrismJetV is not good....it's just that I was concerned going with their version. I guess it's supposed to be like GMC and Chevy or Pontiac and Buick BUT.......Mutoh clearly states on their website that they do not directly service the PrismJet and to contact the vendor for warranty support. Also, I have read on this site that some who have bought the PrismJet (SW version of Mutoh) have gotten old print head chips and have had to have them replaced / updated. It makes me wonder if there are any other out dated or funny things about the PrismJet. Sort of the Wal-Mart version perhaps ?

Anyway....as for the ValueJet ? I could not say enough good things about it. On a scale of 1 to 10 it's off the charts in quality and speed. At 740 x 740 the quality is so great I could never imagine needing the available 1440 x 1440. And it will print a 4x8 at 720 resolution in 20 minutes / blazing speed. Not to mention......no banding at all, none, nada.

As for media. You have misappropiated concerns. I'm not sure why you would think there is no media available for the machine OR in limited quantities ? That is a non-issue......at least it is with us. We buy our media from the same company we bought our ValueJet from.

HOWEVER.....I will say.

We chose a company that supports us with media and color profiles and tech support. I know SW states they can and will do that as well.

We choose Mutoh brand printer (ValueJet) and a Mutoh brand 48'' Ultima cutter and intentionally bought from a company that we have found to be rock solid in support, strength and technical know how. That is paramount unless you claim to be the world's best techno person.

Also the company we bought from writes their own color profiles and will write custom profiles for any media we might need. They include on site setup and training as well. You can contact the owner of the company anytime you might need and the sales person knows the printer inside and out from top to bottom. They have one running at their location 24/7 so if you call with questions....they simply walk you thru the question and find answers. You have questions / they have answers.........available now.

Buying a printer is easy enough. You can even buy one dirt cheap on eBay if you want. But for me.....I feel it's critical to realize before you buy that you are engaging a company with a long term relationship that involveds tech support, media profiling, media supply, and user error issues (which is most important). As for media, it's not as simple as just buying media. You need to buy media that you know has the right color profiles otherwise when you think you're printing red, you'll get orange. And you'll have a 50 yard roll of media that you can't figure out why it's orange instead of red. Not the printers fault....but the color profile for that specific media.

I would evaluate the company you are buying from FIRST and then worry about the printer and media. If you get the company right then there's no worries about the printer. If you get the company wrong then all you can say is 'good luck' if / when you need assistance (which you will need unless you're already a printer techy).

Your worries about the media are okay, it's good to be cautious. But for me, I appropiated those worries towards the company I was buying from and their relationship with Mutoh and let them worry about the media and colors and tech support.

BUDDY

Last edited:

dzign

I buy 54" x 164' (almost 55 yds) Orajet 3651 or 3691 gloss and have it slit to 51" wide. You can wrap your mother-in-law up with the remnant, and it really holds well!

tjybcy

We chose a company that supports us with media and color profiles and tech support. I know SW states they can and will do that as well.

We choose Mutoh brand printer (ValueJet) and a Mutoh brand 48'' Ultima cutter and intentionally bought from a company that we have found to be rock solid in support, strength and technical know how. That is paramount unless you claim to be the world's best techno person.

Also the company we bought from writes their own color profiles and will write custom profiles for any media we might need. They include on site setup and training as well. You can contact the owner of the company anytime you might need and the sales person knows the printer inside and out from top to bottom. They have one running at their location 24/7 so if you call with questions....they simply walk you thru the question and find answers. You have questions / they have answers.........available now.

BUDDY

Buddy,
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Your responses were extremely helpful! I obviously have a LOT to learn here! Anyway, I'd really like to know what company you bought your equipment from as they sound awesome. Please let me know either here or in a personal email if you don't mind.

Thanks a bunch!

ChiefBL

Couldn't agree with you more, Buddy. Very pleased with our first Digital printer. (Valuejet)

Just can't wait to use it more often. We're a new business and things are slow. But that's alright...because we're in the learning phase anyways...so a small job here and there is fine.

Printed my sons picture in 1440 and it was perfect! Art gallery quality. No Banding that I can see.

Bill

Derf

Hey Buddy, Does your printer have a solid fixer plate or is it broken into 3 parts like on the Falcon?

Do you get heat banding from temp change across the fixer?

If you can print a 12"x48" solid Purple or olive green and post a pick so we can check it out that would be great.

When I do a solid print like that on my Falcon I get heat banding and I'm forced to turn my heat way down. GEI came and put foil tape on it but that just helped a bit. I know where and what I can print so I work around it but it is an annoyance.

f3rri

I apologize that I haven't been able to give everyone a response on the valuejet. We have been in the process on divirsifying our compny to supply Sign shops, Reproduction houses, Architects and Manufacturers.

First of all, those that don't know me allow me provide a little background, I attended to Rochester Institute of Technology (this school is funded byKodak and Baush and Lomb.) I have a tremendoust of experience in the digital print realm from million dollar Heidelberg Presses to wide digital printers. After, I have attended Carnegie Mellon University for Architecture.

I will be your foremost help to guide to help you in the right direction on digitl printing. I'm not here to sell you on a commission basis as a job after college. My family has been in the signage business since the early 1930's. I am here to modernize my business as well as all of your own businesses because we need to adapt to current trends and technology change in the industry. If we don't the guy down the street will. Anyhow..

We have had our Valuejet for several weeks now. It is a no brainer it is real a money maker. The machine pretty much runs and cleans itself. The only time that you will relly need to run a major cleaning service is if you leave it unattended for more than a few days IE. a 4+day holiday where noone is prining on it. Other than that leave it on and let it be. It runs its own maintenance cycle. simple and to the point you do not need to attand any seminar to use it just 1-2 hours worth of a walk through. This machine also prints a true 48"... We base all american industries off of this size.
I feel that this is a far superior machine to the all in one unit competition. You can do a print and a cut at the same time if you elect to get the Print/cut solution. This saves your company time. 2 all print heads are expensive.... Why in the hell would you want to contaminate your printheads by cutting on the same machine. 3 you stilll have to pull your material off the machine to laminate it so there is no true benefit to having an all in one solution... "well not unless u are selling the units and can find a someone who doesn't know any better.

Several people have emailed me asking whether is is worth buying a used falcon. Here is your answer... If you have only $4000 spend. Why waste your hard earn money on someone elses machine that was put into duty and they maxed it out. The last person asking me founf a machine that the inks dried up. We that's a minor problem that may be fixed. You have to ask your self seriously how long did the guy have the machine and did he run it all day long? Did he perform the regular maintenance or did he let it go until he killed it. The new value printer is a major difference. I recommend pocking the $4000 and take a lease out. You do end up spending more in the end on a lease but you get to let your money work for you. Realistically on a Value Jet 50" you can do 1-2 banners a month and the machine will make the payment for you. At this point it doesn't get any easier than hitting the enter button to make money. Hell keep it cash it will make you a mortgage payment, a house payment, and a car payment. Yet it all depends on how much you can sell the service for. I used to outsource for $6 a sq foot. Not bad but not great. How many of you are tired of doing all the work and someone else profiting off it. I know I was. @25-30 a sq foot. it is a no brainer maybe .80-150 for material. What other business really can make that kind of a mark up??? Well as small business we know the bank can for an overdraft fee or for atm transactions. So here is my reccomendation Call cynergy data get a credit card machine call your local mutoh dealer "Notice I am not just saying my own firm" and go out and shop for the car or house that you always wanted. It seriously can get you there sooner than you think. Unless you plan on buying a US Mint printer. You cant make $$$ any faster. Well this is my oppinion love it or hate it it is worth the try. Just take me for a spin in the car you always wanted to buy. The Valuejet will make it happen. So the other thing I must say is you have to spend 30000-40000+ to get a machine that is equal or better. Personally I'd take 2 valuejets and a laminator for that kind of money. ROI (return on investment) Remember this term because it will be your next best friend. Please keep an eye out for our new website due sometime in January. WE SUPPLY ARCHITECTS, ENGINEERS, MANUFACTUERES TOP NOTCH AMERICAN, GERMAN, AND JAPANESE PRODUCTS. No Chinese crap. Stand offs, Fein powertools, Mutoh, SummaGraphics, Wacom tablets... and more on the way. I am a firm beliver of you pay for what you get. We pride ourselves on quality and craftsmenship. You should do nothing less as well. It is your name as stake

-Chris Ferri
Ferri Design + Construct

...now introducing www.1440dpi.com our new division.

Your new resource center for design and profit.