• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl cutter for automotive parts business

Jackpine

You must have taken it the wrong way. To be a sign artist or craftsman it takes more than a cutter and a roll of vinyl. I think this is still a free country.......so you have your rights to believe what you want. Where do you go when you need legal help?
good to hear! thanks for the input!

Jackpine

She is not a hobbyist. She is and act as a professional . Some don't have the resources to furnish with equipment as others. This is in no way makes them less of a professional. Most that have been in this trade for most their lives started with a handful of brushes and a verity of 1/2 pints or 1shot. It does have a lot to do on how serious you are and your RESPECT you would have to those that take the time and want to learn and be better. Buying a cutter because you can "do it cheaper" is not in that spirit. If that was the case then my eyes wouldn't hurt so much every I drive somewhere and see the garbage people not only make but others buy. It is the "SOS", shiny object syndrome. It has always been "junk in junk out". The tools a pro has is there knowledge and skill. SF is a pro in the way she approaches this trade and seeks knowledge and professional results. I know this from experience and a vendor and seeking her out as a vendor.
Madam, you are a hobbyist argueing with professionals. Neither are going to see eye-to-eye because each views this industry in a much different manner.

MarkFP

Observation

From the short time I have been here I've made the following observation... "It's the same no matter what business you are in". I've owned a automotive collision business for thirty years and we appear to have the same situation as you professional sign folks. There are true professionals, there are hacks, dabblers, and thieves.

The sad fact is that in my rural area there are no "professional" sign businesses. I have a commercial and fine art background, graphic ray tracing experience starting with a 286 computer fifteen years ago and forty years of automotive refinishing experience.

I won't pretend that I will ever understand or become the artist some of you are in your professional sign businesses, but I do think you should take advantage of people like me and the one that started this thread. Sooner or later some of you will be asked to apply over new automotive materials that we are seeing come out from the OEMs and custom market. The person you slam today may not be there tomorrow when you need them. :biggrin:

Jackpine

Well Mark, I will be one to say I am glad you reintroduced yourself with more information. As an auto pro with your customer's 'do it yourself' attitude, we now know where you are coming from.
From the short time I have been here I've made the following observation... "It's the same no matter what business you are in". I've owned a automotive collision business for thirty years and we appear to have the same situation as you professional sign folks. There are true professionals, there are hacks, dabblers, and thieves.

The sad fact is that in my rural area there are no "professional" sign businesses. I have a commercial and fine art background, graphic ray tracing experience starting with a 286 computer fifteen years ago and forty years of automotive refinishing experience.

I won't pretend that I will ever understand or become the artist some of you are in your professional sign businesses, but I do think you should take advantage of people like me and the one that started this thread. Sooner or later some of you will be asked to apply over new automotive materials that we are seeing come out from the OEMs and custom market. The person you slam today may not be there tomorrow when you need them. :biggrin:

Dave Drane

She is not a hobbyist. She is and act as a professional . Some don't have the resources to furnish with equipment as others. This is in no way makes them less of a professional. Most that have been in this trade for most their lives started with a handful of brushes and a verity of 1/2 pints or 1shot. It does have a lot to do on how serious you are and your RESPECT you would have to those that take the time and want to learn and be better. Buying a cutter because you can "do it cheaper" is not in that spirit. If that was the case then my eyes wouldn't hurt so much every I drive somewhere and see the garbage people not only make but others buy. It is the "SOS", shiny object syndrome. It has always been "junk in junk out". The tools a pro has is there knowledge and skill. SF is a pro in the way she approaches this trade and seeks knowledge and professional results. I know this from experience and a vendor and seeking her out as a vendor.

HaHa SpecialFX is exactly a hobbyist and DOES NOT act professional. How much information does she input here???? Buying a variety of brushes and a half pint of one shot may not be in the big league of modern day "Signmakers" but in days of yore one would definately get by on ones skill and artistic ability, not by today's standards of WHAT ONE COULD AFFORD TO PUT INTO MACHINERY!! S/F has not made any attempt to endear herself to this industry and her DISRESPECT is apparent in her arrogance to display how she knows so much through her study of microsoft Publisher etc. etc. Let me say that Flame was correct in saying she uses this industry as a hobby and asks questions here and then displays total arrogance with the answers.. At least Flame has come here and respected the answers to questions and over the last couple of years he has proved himself very capable as a businessman willing to learn and listen and to forge ahead in his young life and he desrves respect from us old dinosaurs for what he is doing in a new and exciting world. He has put himself out on a limb to buy machinery (which is different to some of how us oldies may think) and made very well with it and for that he deserves a pat on the back.
Good luck in your dealings with Speshulleffex, as a vendor I wish you luck, but her purchases will not be anywhere near to close as what Flame's would be. :beer:beer

Air Art Girl

if they are only temporary and only for the race, why not purchase magnetic numbers that you can reuse? If it's only to identify the cars for the race. I think once you see the time involved for a temporary "sticker" it will take you way more time then you think and find the sign shop deal was not too bad. I'd look for someone willing to work a wholesale deal with you on the vinyl.

Jackpine

Flame is NOT the issue. Never was.There are a lot of levels of skill and experience in this trade. It is the attitude that is this is easy that pisses me off. Don't knock the person that seeks knowledge. We all started somewhere. When they acquire skills and knowledge, one would hope they pass it on also. I started as a painter and have paid my dues. I have been in the trade for 30+ years and don't need to be told of the unprofessional work that has been out there forever. In my dealing with SF, she HAS been professional. I didn't know the input on this form made one 'more professional. I am the one that bought a handful of brushes and cans of 1shot and taught myself how to paint because sign makers did not share. "Buying a variety of brushes and a half pint of one shot may not be in the big league of modern day "Signmakers" but in days of yore one would definately get by on ones skill and artistic ability, not by today's standards of WHAT ONE COULD AFFORD TO PUT INTO MACHINERY!!"....Not only do I agree with you on this, but take away the machines and I as well as you and others with this background will still be making signs. My point is not Flamey's development....., it is my experience with SF has been as good as any and better than most with other sign shops.
HaHa SpecialFX is exactly a hobbyist and DOES NOT act professional. How much information does she input here???? Buying a variety of brushes and a half pint of one shot may not be in the big league of modern day "Signmakers" but in days of yore one would definately get by on ones skill and artistic ability, not by today's standards of WHAT ONE COULD AFFORD TO PUT INTO MACHINERY!! S/F has not made any attempt to endear herself to this industry and her DISRESPECT is apparent in her arrogance to display how she knows so much through her study of microsoft Publisher etc. etc. Let me say that Flame was correct in saying she uses this industry as a hobby and asks questions here and then displays total arrogance with the answers.. At least Flame has come here and respected the answers to questions and over the last couple of years he has proved himself very capable as a businessman willing to learn and listen and to forge ahead in his young life and he desrves respect from us old dinosaurs for what he is doing in a new and exciting world. He has put himself out on a limb to buy machinery (which is different to some of how us oldies may think) and made very well with it and for that he deserves a pat on the back.
Good luck in your dealings with Speshulleffex, as a vendor I wish you luck, but her purchases will not be anywhere near to close as what Flame's would be. :beer:beer

Mikeifg

I want to cut my costs at the airlines. I was wondering if anyone would have any ideas on how to go about doing the maintenance myself on the planes you know fill em up check the planes engines it looks easy and I just want to start an airline mechanic butcher business. Or better yet I bet I could find a video on you tube on how to do heart surgery and save grandpa a couple hundred thousand dollars It looks easy. Give me a break! everyone thinks they can do it its easy money buy avery film use the cheapest and start designing junk and bring down the industry more .

MarkFP

I'm Curious, you professionals...

does the professional sign business trade have an association (state or national)? Forgive my ignorance but as I have stated, I'm not nor intend to start a "sign business"... but there appears no hurdle that would create a cohesive bond in your trade. Does your trade have any legislative "watchdogs" in place, recognised standards and/or trade groups to particpate in?

R08

does the professional sign business trade have an association (state or national)? Forgive my ignorance but as I have stated, I'm not nor intend to start a "sign business"... but there appears no hurdle that would create a cohesive bond in your trade. Does your trade have any legislative "watchdogs" in place, recognised standards and/or trade groups to particpate in?

Not in Canada.

Flame

WE ARE....ashamed at how people PRECEIVE SIGN MAKING.
as an ART MAJOR IN COLLEGE, and have been DRAWING/PAINTING most of my life.....i cant belive the AUDASITY of these people who HAVE OTHER BUSINESS and complain about HOW EXPENSE SIGNS ARE TO HAVE MADE(while what they do , expect to get paid WHAT THEY ASK FOR THEIR STUFF)...and then think they are that TALENTED to create SIGNS!!! these people make me ASHAMED....at the SIGNS THEY PRODUCE....and what amazes me more....IS PEOPLE WILL GIVE THEM MONEY for the crap they make!!!!!!!
yea iam ashamed .....that we are thought of as KNOW NOTHINGS....

I know... some people will pay for anything, huh?

ss2.jpg

1945896PCAD.jpg

Don't knock on others skills unless you can truly back it up OP.

OldPaint

FLAME....the silver shears was CUSTOMER REQUEST...i needed the money. and you might not belive it but her CLIENTEL......REALLY LIKE her signs......so you dont, so what. as for your abilities......call me when youre wife needs a real man)))))
the precision cad, was posted as humor, THAT IF YA DONT MAKE A MISTAKE NOW AND THEN...........YOU AINT DOIN NOTHIN...
and youre point was.............

Flame

My point was... OP... you that are relentlessly knocking on others skills. Give it a rest man. It's getting old, and I don't care if you're picasso, you're rudeness to others about their skills, whether it be warranted or not, is just over the top.

Especially since a lot of the work you slam, is considerably better than what you, yourself, show. I'm no great artist and I can admit it. But you're always claiming superiority when in fact your work is that of a 1st year signmaker.

No one would really question your skills or abilities if you just chilled, but you keep stabbing and poking. It was funny at first, now it's.... I dunno, monotonous babble.