• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl cutter for automotive parts business

Dave Drane

Sheeiiiiteee!!!

A man goes away for a day of fun and comes back to this utter tripe!!! I hate this up-over down-under thing because of the time delay!!
http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25323
This is where this thing is coming from and it didn't even have the decency to come in through the "new member door"!! Fancy even having the gall to question Flamey's designing abilities, how dare you.?? The guy has certainly struggled a bit but has put everything he has into the industry (and has been prepared to learn and has finally passed his credentials) and here you come with all the knowledge about MS Publisher or whatever you clowns become adept at and then start calling the shots!!
My business name (at least initially) has nothing to do with signs/sign making.
WTF are you doing on a SIGN FORUM???
I have even taken in apparel alterations for the auto dealer
My you are avery successfull business lady!!
Incidentally, I am a 60 yr young woman who consistently passes for 45, most likely due to my strong work ethics.
Well I aint that far behind you, but when it comes to the hard yards, I don't believe that you, (and what looking like a 45 year old has to do with anything proves my point of your utter arrogance!!) would have a clue lady!!
I honestly san't see you being in the business for too long at all!! I wouldn't even begin to start telling you what my credentials are, but I can guarantee you that they would far outweigh yours, so if I were you I would just go straight back to the "video business". Meanwhile I will just go and have another :beer

andy

I can buy a bag full of carpenters tools and start making simple wooden products. Does this make me a carpenter? No, it makes me a guy with some tools who THINKS he is a carpenter.

What a lot of you newbies conveniently forget is the fact that there wasn't always and internet out there. Before the internet there was no option other than make the effort and get properly trained. With proper training you appreciate THE fundamental part of this trade- your skills are your ONLY asset. This being the case you value them properly and charge the RIGHT price in return for your labour.

If you honestly think $35 for a sign is a rip off then you have no idea of what it takes to run a PROFITABLE sign business. If you come to me for a sign you have to spend $50 as a minimum. This isn't because I am arrogant it's because I know my skills and I know what they are worth. My customers have plenty of choice in the market and there always is someone cheaper. Just because newbies with vinyl cutters are prepared to work for tuppence an hour doesn't mean I need or have to follow suit.

You newbies need to look at the bigger picture before getting offended and huffy. What exactly do you think the impact of cheap vinyl cutters is having on this industry? Obviously cheap machinery allows you to enter the trade- but you are NOT the only person to ever have had that Eureka moment.

The vinyl end of the market is swamped with hackers, price droppers and amateurs. Anyone can do it, anyone WILL do it. What does this mean for YOUR business model? How are you going to succeed in a matured market which is flooded with competition and is VERY price sensitive? How are you going to earn enough to sustain your business and grow it? If you think your vinyl cutter is the end of the line for machinery then you are wrong- think about it, all those other people behind you with the same idea- buy a vinyl cutter.

The original poster has already moved to the next stage- why bother with a sign maker at all. Think about it- you have a vinyl cutter, everyone else wants a vinyl cutter and you prospective customers are looking to buy vinyl cutters- exactly where does your vinyl cutting business fit into this? Even your skill set is devalued- you can work a vinyl cutter and make vinyl signs- yeah, you and about a million other people.

There is NOTHING special about owning a vinyl cutter- it's no big deal.

How has this come to pass? People who buy cheap machinery don't have to think about running a business. Most new vinyl people I ever met never did a business plan and had no ideas apart from just cuttin vinyl. My first vinyl cutter cost more than the 20 grand Graptec machine quoted in this thread- but it earned me a very good living and allowed me to move up the sign industry food chain and paid my bills for these last 20 years.

Dave Drane

Andy, these people, like you and me are always going to rub us up the wrong way. What would they know about sitting at an easel and marking out a sign, second coating copy, cleaning off chalklines etc. etc. ever going to understand what the "old trade" was really like. It makes me wanna go and puke!!
They know nothing else but computers Not that, that is wrong, as there are very talented people growing up with them (who without puters, I am sure would have made fantastic signwriters. Shovelhead, is one Neato is another one and I am sure Flamey is on the road to success and I can't stand to see a "nobody" come in here with pure arrogance and begin to tell all and sundry just how good they are (with a full knowledge of MS something or other) at the same time asking for help on how to lay out a simple window at the lowest possible cost$$$???.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
I'll go back to an earlier angle- he wants numbers on his cars, and he wants low cost, done by himself...

EASY!!!

Buy 1 roll of white vinyl, cut off a patch & stick it to the door- no need for app tape, you're doing a 'wrap' here.
Then get a sharpie and write the number on it, and take an exacto knife and trace the number and cut & peel away all the bits that aren't a number.

Any wobbly bits just get described as a 'new stylish font'.
The offcuts & torn pieces can be stuck to the bonnet/trunk/roof/hood and sold as 'graphic designs'.

BINGO, instant solution to all his problems- no plotter, software, design skills or app tape needed!

(perhaps I could patent & market this process?)

Flame

Mr Firemap!!!

If you'd please read my posts, I am not trying to be overly mean. I'll make a point, but sure not beat it to a pulp and I am sure not trying to attack ms. FX here. I made some points she'd do well to consider, but that's it. I have no problem with her being on the board or posting.

NOW,

You tried to come accross as a "Know it all, newbie." if memory serves.
You were swatted into behaving like a gent after a bit.

Yep. I had done a lot, but there was even more I had never done OR knew about, and my skills were pretty durn poor. I've learned a lot since joining here and I thank the whole crew here for that learning curve. And I'm well aware I'm just starting on a long journey of getting to where I want my skills to be.

How much glass gilding have you done?

2 windows. Pain in the freaking butt but they turned out ok. Not for customers, just my wife. :cool:

Sand blasted a lot of wood/hdu/glass have you.

No interest in learning at the moment. Why should I when I can outsource the work and triple my cost in profit? It's cool work, but not for me.

Hand lettered a lot of signs with a brush have you?

Um... maybe two? Who cares though, I've never once had anyone ask for a handpainted sign. It's a niche market I don't enter into.

You glue chipped and angel gilded work is admired all over your county is it?

oooo, you must be famous in your county then, I assume?

I don't often get fiesty, but there is something about your general attitude that just pi$$es me off.

Well I am sorry I got under your skin, however if you get that easily offended than I suggest you work on your own manners.

I make no claims to being a great artist, but I consider myself a professional and put a lot of work and effort into learning and knowing my field. I am a professional, but I am sure not some great, amazing artist or 80 year old sign man with awe inspiring talents..... but you know what? I bet you aren't either so feel free to step down off of that big ole' horse of yours. :thumb:

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25323
This is where this thing is coming from and it didn't even have the decency to come in through the "new member door"!!"

Since I've been a member since 4/05 I didn't think it necessary to announce myself when all I was doing was looking for some help pricing some vinyl. Pete & GVGraphics answered and I took their advice.

"Fancy even having the gall to question Flamey's designing abilities, how dare you.??"

?? That was not me! I would never presume to question any one's abilities!

"...here you come with all the knowledge about MS Publisher"

MSPub was mentioned as part of my DTP biz, I've stated it has nothing to do with signs. Do you design biz cards and brochures?

"WTF are you doing on a SIGN FORUM???"

Trying to do my homework and researching so I don't have to bother the group with stupid questions.

"(and what looking like a 45 year old has to do with anything proves my point of your utter arrogance!!)"

LOL, Honestly, that was not arrogance, I was looking for some chivalry--(and I got it.) ;-) I thought perhaps if you knew I was a woman you'd cut me some slack and quit calling me names. You may be the world's most accomplished sign artist, and initially, I tried to show you some respect; but on a personal level, you deserve none.

"My you are a very successful business lady!!"

Why are you so sarcastic? I'm happy doing what I do, my customers are happy, and they know they can come to me for whatever they need. We can't all be as one-dimensionally successful as you apparently are, why must you be so rude and nasty? Does it make you feel superior and powerful?

In my experience, there's one *&%#@ in every crowd, and you certainly stand out in this one. Why don't you stop wasting your time on me? I promise to not EVER read or learn anything from you! And you can even have the last word.

tamiya

I'll go back to an earlier angle- he wants numbers on his cars, and he wants low cost, done by himself...

EASY!!!

Buy 1 roll of white vinyl, cut off a patch & stick it to the door- no need for app tape, you're doing a 'wrap' here.
Then get a sharpie and write the number on it, and take an exacto knife and trace the number and cut & peel away all the bits that aren't a number.

Any wobbly bits just get described as a 'new stylish font'.
The offcuts & torn pieces can be stuck to the bonnet/trunk/roof/hood and sold as 'graphic designs'.

BINGO, instant solution to all his problems- no plotter, software, design skills or app tape needed!

(perhaps I could patent & market this process?)

ummm... have done rally car numbers with sharpie on
vinyl (Contact bookwrapping) thing... back in 1977. :rolleyes:

Its quicker to just use masking tape or gaffer tape to line out
giant numbers on the car doors or side windows.

Ppl still do it at gymkhanas these days... well that's motorsport for
the peasant masses who can't afford to track a latemodel BMW.

Techman

As for car numbering and decorating..
Why not just get out your mamma's contact paper a good exacto knife and decorate away.. Very short term, very reasonable and always good for the weekend.

Cheap too. Only Fi Dollah. It love you long time..

RedWolf

Don't you people ever stop with the arguing? It seems like every single day somebody is bashing somebody else, and for what? If you cannot resist it, then take it to the no holds barred forum section.

Matt

iSign

Wow some of you people should be ashamed...................
I was just thinking the exact same thing...

well, actually I was thinking of simply saying "shameful" ... but having been shameful a time or two myself... I just went back to look for another thread... but saw a new post here & had to check it out.

Since it said what I thought to, I decided to add in mine.

There can be a point and a purpose in challenging some of the less knowledgable folks to listen to a big picture reply, to a small view inquiry... but for all the hundreds of arrogant replies I'm guilty of... I'd like to think I am usually making a point, and then leaving. Bludgeoning the same point on and on over days... well, I've probably been guilty of that too... but as to how it looks from the other side of the fence...

shameful!

Last edited:

OldPaint

WE ARE....ashamed at how people PRECEIVE SIGN MAKING.
as an ART MAJOR IN COLLEGE, and have been DRAWING/PAINTING most of my life.....i cant belive the AUDASITY of these people who HAVE OTHER BUSINESS and complain about HOW EXPENSE SIGNS ARE TO HAVE MADE(while what they do , expect to get paid WHAT THEY ASK FOR THEIR STUFF)...and then think they are that TALENTED to create SIGNS!!! these people make me ASHAMED....at the SIGNS THEY PRODUCE....and what amazes me more....IS PEOPLE WILL GIVE THEM MONEY for the crap they make!!!!!!!
yea iam ashamed .....that we are thought of as KNOW NOTHINGS....

jimmysigns

WE ARE....ashamed at how people PRECEIVE SIGN MAKING.
these people make me ASHAMED....at the SIGNS THEY PRODUCE....and what amazes me more....IS PEOPLE WILL GIVE THEM MONEY for the crap they make!!!!!!!
yea iam ashamed .....that we are thought of as KNOW NOTHINGS....

that amazes me too! everyday, people buying plotters and destroying someones $40,000.00 truck.

The Sign Dude

I priced a set of racing stripes to a customer 2 weeks ago for $400 installed. He says WOW!im in the wrong business. I could have sworn I seen the light bulb come on in his little pea brain. having no idea about anything but the fact I was charging him that amount.

MarkFP

Good for You

That's why I'm here also. We needed to do occasional lettering and graphics on some vehicle customs and new vehicle modification. The local "sign guys" are not motivated or talented and very... very slow.

We purchased a new Roland GX24 and are having a ball designing stripes and masking for custom paint. We DO NOT do retail signs and only cut for our own projects and customers. The only thing I do agree with while scanning the above responses, the equipment is a minor investment... it's the materials you will want to stock and time needed to design the "nicer" graphics that will add up. :thumb:

OldPaint

That's why I'm here also. We needed to do occasional lettering and graphics on some vehicle customs and new vehicle modification. The local "sign guys" are not motivated or talented and very... very slow.

and youre the worlds most talented and speedier then speedy gonzalaza))))))))))))))thanks for tellin us.......we all bow before youre magisty.

WoppTorr

I want to bow too, we're not worthy, we're not worthy, hmm :rolleyes:, now who can tell me what movie that's from hehehehhehehe, no matter what were good at or what we know, some will always think that can do better, this post seems like it will never end, posters bs has won, end post stage right.....