• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl cutter for automotive parts business

RedWolf

Madam, you are a hobbyist argueing with professionals.

Now seriouslly Flame, would a professional really act like this?

Originally Posted by Dave Drane
I am going to bash Special FX for having the most corniest name for a business that he knows sweet FA-ll about and for being an arrogant prick!! I'll be happy when he fades away back to the hole that he crept out of after he realizes that one can't enter this industry and treat it like a second rate hobby!!

Are professionals supposed to act like this? I know somebody was acting like an arrogant prick and it was not Special FX. It was not you either Flame, hmmm wonder who else it might be? Maybe that second quote might give a hint as to whom it was.

When SignRite mentioned bullying, I think he was trying to be polite without being rude about it.

Matt

TheSnowman

Can't we all just get along! All I want is for you to do is to pretend you like each other ya big bunch of idiots! (Quote From Jill on Home Improvement)

Flame

Now seriouslly Flame, would a professional really act like this?

I was simply stating my opinion as to why there was so much argueing. She looks at the business one way, and a couple of the others going at it with her.... look at this business in another. It is a FACT several of the posters are professionals in this business, and it's a FACT that Special FX is a hobbyist. I also believe it is a FACT that both sides see this business, and how to make money at it and even basic business ethics.... are different.

That can be taken as a slam to either side, it all depends on how you look at it.

R08

"That can be taken as a slam to either side, it all depends on how you look at it."

Actually Flame,

It wasn't so much 'what' was being said as to how it was being said.

"I am going to bash Special FX" is really kind of mean spirited.

How old are you Flame?

iSign

really now Special FX... can't you see we're trying to bash paintpro here.... :cool:

:thread

...would you mind finding your own battle ground to take your lickin's! :Big Laugh

I think you're confusing some of the folks here into throwing their barbs meant for paintpro at you by mistake.

I mean, it's not like there's an unlimited supply cold prickly's to go around... don't make us waste them on you. Actually I think you are far too well spoken & intelligent to warrent a continued waste of combative posts... in fact I think you are almost fully initiated now :thumb:

I don't care what you do, so why do you even care what others do?

I know that comment wasn't directed at me, but to a degree it implies not caring what others here, in general, choose to do... yet your main point of entry to this thread seems to have been based upon not only caring what others here are choosing to do (or say) ...but taking that "caring" a step further by inquiring about it, or even hoping to influence it with your earlier comments:

Special FX said:
1. If the veteran sign folk here are so down on the new people, why don't you just ignore them and their questions instead of attempting to demoralize each one that pops in? Is it some sort of sport here?

anyway, since you have successfully pirated this thread anyway, I'll pose my question to you again:

did you ever tell a telemarketer that you were not interested in purchasing anything?

If so... why did you do that? could you not have just slammed the phone down in his ear?

Obviously it is a rhetorical question, but posed with the hope to shed some light on why some of us can not help chiming in on these threads bound for a trainwreck...

this is like our living room... and newbies come in on a regular basis, and lay their cards down... and they think they have a hand to play, but they don't have squat.

That's ok... we can deal them in & after a while, they may get the hang of things (like you seem to be) and they may start playing at a level deserving of more respect...

or they may run off never to return (like paintpro perhaps?) ...but at least they will run off with a bit of an education into a few cold hard truths. Those truths may be less about "what cutter to buy for stickers" ... and more about how to be respectful of industry professionals from whom they want free advice to help cut out our peers to advance their hobby.

Oh yeah, I also like your analogy... yes, I must reluctantly admit.. at times it does become somewhat of a sport :Oops:

Flame

"That can be taken as a slam to either side, it all depends on how you look at it."

Actually Flame,

It wasn't so much 'what' was being said as to how it was being said.

"I am going to bash Special FX" is really kind of mean spirited.

How old are you Flame?

May I ask just how I said it? Please do tell as I'm sure you know my exact tone of voice and my facial expressions when I was typing out that message a few hours ago.

And since you're in your high horse you can explain to me why I cannot make comments that are in your opinion, hinting of negativity, when you feel completly open to bash me?

R08

Sorry Flame.

Not meaning to to say that you in particular was being mean.

Sorry about the age thing,

I thought a post was yours that actually wasnh't.

see... I can be mean too. but i think we should show a little restraint on the way we talk ... not you in particular Flame.

All of us specifically.

myself included

Flame

point.. your opinion on matters are from very little experience. just talk from a kid.

Ah, but one can gain a lot from a little experience, and little from a lot of experience. And I have been in this business for 6 years now, so I believe my business experience is actually considerably more than some. If you'd like to compare business models though, feel free to do it via PM. But get off yer high horse pardner. :thumb:

SignRite.... no worries :biggrin:

did you ever tell a telemarketer that you were not interested in purchasing anything?
<snip>
This telemarketer enters your life through your telephone, right into your living room, etc....

Not meaning to beat a dead horse here...just tying up loose ends ;-)

I want to make one observation if I could...

I do/did understand your intended point, but it's not quite on spot. ;-) A telemarketer does invade your home--- a member posting in this forum ---well, it's more like opening your USPS mailbox. Maybe you are obligated to open the bills and the personal letters from friends/relatives, but you can certainly toss the ads and the solicitations without another thought, right? Just apply that to the Newbie Topic. "Seen one, seen 'em all" :rolleyes:

iSign

well, if we want to get picky, perhaps it's more like email spam, because the opportunity to offer an instant response exists, as does the increased (yet, not unanimous)liklihood of recognizing the potential for an offending communication, prior to "opening" said communication.

However, while one may delete spam emails (or pass over undesired threads) without reading them, we all get suckered once in a while, into "opening" a communication that irks us.

You are free to simply delete spam, while others may choose an alternate response.

Like with junk mail, some of us would rather stuff the junk back in the postage paid envelope & let the sender deal with a little trash too, rather then accept an ongoing barrage of trash, without ever communicating in some form or another, that the occassional junkmail posts are not always appreciated. Who knows... maybe the steady increase in offensive posts will not increase as rapidly, if free speach continues to go both ways, and not be limited to the poor sacred, and ever vulnerable newbies.

Directed to iSign's last comment...

Excellent... lolol Point taken, I'm duly impressed and now quite speechless, putting this and myself to bed.

It's been an experience. ;-)

Tech YOUR NOT IMPRESSED? HMMMMM
wish I knew a really professional program like MSPublisher then I could use really tasteless clipart to drop into premade (by a 6 Y.O.) templates.

LOL...Are we still on this? FYI, I have never used a template and I ceased using MS clipart many years ago. There you are assuming again... but I give up. Ya just can't score with everyone.

Firemap1

Flame,
Let me see if I have my assumptions somewhere in the ballpark.
20 yrs old is close? I'll assume you are 22. Been doing signs for 6 years?
I'll make another assumption that you started at 16.
I'll make another assumption that you remember your early forays into the Signs101 community.
If my memory is correct, you took a lot of flack for your arrogance at the time.
You tried to come accross as a "Know it all, newbie." if memory serves.
You were swatted into behaving like a gent after a bit.
Now you are again coming accross like a bad mannered teenager with little respect for others with whom you may have a difference of opinion. I guess with all of your 6 years of experience, you are now such an expert in the trade that you can jump on and disrespect strangers at will.
Tell me Flame...
How much glass gilding have you done?
Sand blasted a lot of wood/hdu/glass have you.
How much acid etching?
Hand lettered a lot of signs with a brush have you?
You glue chipped and angel gilded work is admired all over your county is it?
I don't often get fiesty, but there is something about your general attitude that just pi$$es me off.
Six years and a few good vinyl jobs does not make you an accomplished signman. It surely hasn't made you a gentleman.
You may, with time, become a really good signman, but you really need to work on you manners in a mixed group of strangers in an open forum.

Last edited: