Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vinyl not sticking on painted wood.

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by Aragons, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Aragons

Aragons New Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Hi everyone i had a question and hope someone could help me out.
    I made some signs out of painted wood and the vinyl sticks for a couple of days and then it starts to come off has anybody had this problem?

Tags:
  2. NAC

NAC New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi Aragons

What is the vinyl & do you know what the paint is? Potential of being a low surface energy.

Have you tried a tape snap test?

3. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Did you paint the wood with house paint?

4. Dave Drane

Dave Drane Very Active Member

Sep 24, 2003
    And....water based paint????????????:wink:

5. kkamauu

kkamauu Member

Sep 26, 2010
    need to make sure the board is primed well and then have a finish paint on there if needed - or the vinyl will peel. We typically used MDO primed plywood for real estate signs and other out door signage when applying adhesive vinyl or the RTA vinyls.

6. petrosgraphics

petrosgraphics Member

Feb 24, 2010
    cape cod, ma
    you will have some problems with latex finish coats... we always use oil base enamels...

7. Deaton Design

Deaton Design Very Active Member

Feb 19, 2005
    I use both type paints, but dont have any problems with using latex on mdo and getting the vinyl to stick and stay there. I use satin finish most of the time also, in a high quality paint.:smile:

8. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

why don't you just order some signs from a sign shop?

9. Poconopete

Poconopete Very Active Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Some latex paints contain silicone= vinyl won't stick. If the wood is still usable, remove the vinyl, hit it with clear enamel, let dry, apply new vinyl and you'll be good to go.

10. fmg

fmg Very Active Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Maybe they are a sign shop and asking a legit question.
    Typical smart *** comment here from a regular!
    No wonder this place gets such bad representation from ex banned members like yourself!

11. NAC

NAC New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    In my former life I orchestrated controlled peel adhesion tests on all Resene Paints (A local paint manufacture in NZ) using both a permanent cast film and a removable polycal film. To cut a long story short it’s not so much about if it’s an Acrylic or an Enamel based paint, there are good and bad in each, it’s more to do with what they put into them and the finished surface rheology.

In layman’s terms
    Have you seen an ad on TV where young Johnny goes and marks a painted wall with crayon then mum comes up and wipes the mark off? Well that has keep clean additives in it and stuff don’t like sticking to it. What do we want to do? Stick stuff to it!

The place I use to work for have since tested all paint manufactures in New Zealand, again it’s more to do with what they put in the paint, and that company now has a library of all paints sold here in NZ.

The attitude we adopted here is spec a paint that you know will work. If you don’t know what paint it is and what the surface energy is like then do a simple test yourself. The test is either a tape snap test or a peel adhesion test using a electronic spring scale (what ya weigh fish with) and compare that to a library you set up of what you know are both high and low surface energies.

Then we get into cure times but that’s for another discussion.

12. Aragons

Aragons New Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Thanks for all the feed back- the paint is regular flat yellow from Walmart
    And the vinyl is Avery A6 should I repaint with enamel paint?
    I'm fairly new and all the info would help. Thanks

13. Pat Whatley

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Vinyl does not like to stick to flat paint. Go with a satin or semi-gloss and you should be okay.

14. 4R Graphics

4R Graphics Active Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Use a satin, semi gloss or high gloss and ALWAYS use an oil based enamel. Never had a problem doing it with oil based enamel.

15. Cross Signs

Cross Signs Active Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clearwater FL
    Sounds to me like a combination of problems and Avery is the first one! Use better vinyl

16. Aragons

Aragons New Member

Dec 2, 2010
    What vinyl should i use?

17. GP

GP Very Active Member

Dec 12, 2007
    SC
    To keep this on track - anyone have a favorite paint?

18. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Avery film and Walmart paint, Classic!

Is this a joke? I hope so! First off, what kind of wood? OSB 4x8? MDO? I think this might be part of the problem.
    Let me guess, this was made on a cri-cut right?

We use Ronan or Mathews paint, 3M or Oracal film. As far as putting it on wood, we don't anymore. We use aluminum, max-metal, PVC, lexan and coroplast for most of our production. Painting some old plyboard is what we did back in the 1980's.

19. Si Allen

Si Allen Very Active Member

Jul 17, 2004
    +1 for Mosh!

:thumb:

20. Pat Whatley

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Sign #7 of the impending Apocalypse: Si agrees with Mosh.