• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl not sticking on painted wood.

Aragons

Hi everyone i had a question and hope someone could help me out.
I made some signs out of painted wood and the vinyl sticks for a couple of days and then it starts to come off has anybody had this problem?

NAC

Hi Aragons

What is the vinyl & do you know what the paint is? Potential of being a low surface energy.

Have you tried a tape snap test?

kkamauu

need to make sure the board is primed well and then have a finish paint on there if needed - or the vinyl will peel. We typically used MDO primed plywood for real estate signs and other out door signage when applying adhesive vinyl or the RTA vinyls.

Deaton Design

you will have some problems with latex finish coats... we always use oil base enamels...

I use both type paints, but dont have any problems with using latex on mdo and getting the vinyl to stick and stay there. I use satin finish most of the time also, in a high quality paint.:smile:

Poconopete

Some latex paints contain silicone= vinyl won't stick. If the wood is still usable, remove the vinyl, hit it with clear enamel, let dry, apply new vinyl and you'll be good to go.

fmg

why don't you just order some signs from a sign shop?
Maybe they are a sign shop and asking a legit question.
Typical smart ass comment here from a regular!
No wonder this place gets such bad representation from ex banned members like yourself!

NAC

In my former life I orchestrated controlled peel adhesion tests on all Resene Paints (A local paint manufacture in NZ) using both a permanent cast film and a removable polycal film. To cut a long story short it’s not so much about if it’s an Acrylic or an Enamel based paint, there are good and bad in each, it’s more to do with what they put into them and the finished surface rheology.

In layman’s terms
Have you seen an ad on TV where young Johnny goes and marks a painted wall with crayon then mum comes up and wipes the mark off? Well that has keep clean additives in it and stuff don’t like sticking to it. What do we want to do? Stick stuff to it!

The place I use to work for have since tested all paint manufactures in New Zealand, again it’s more to do with what they put in the paint, and that company now has a library of all paints sold here in NZ.

The attitude we adopted here is spec a paint that you know will work. If you don’t know what paint it is and what the surface energy is like then do a simple test yourself. The test is either a tape snap test or a peel adhesion test using a electronic spring scale (what ya weigh fish with) and compare that to a library you set up of what you know are both high and low surface energies.

Then we get into cure times but that’s for another discussion.

Aragons

Thanks for all the feed back- the paint is regular flat yellow from Walmart
And the vinyl is Avery A6 should I repaint with enamel paint?
I'm fairly new and all the info would help. Thanks

4R Graphics

Use a satin, semi gloss or high gloss and ALWAYS use an oil based enamel. Never had a problem doing it with oil based enamel.

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
Sounds to me like a combination of problems and Avery is the first one! Use better vinyl

Mosh

the paint is regular flat yellow from Walmart, And the vinyl is Avery A6

Avery film and Walmart paint, Classic!

Is this a joke? I hope so! First off, what kind of wood? OSB 4x8? MDO? I think this might be part of the problem.
Let me guess, this was made on a cri-cut right?

We use Ronan or Mathews paint, 3M or Oracal film. As far as putting it on wood, we don't anymore. We use aluminum, max-metal, PVC, lexan and coroplast for most of our production. Painting some old plyboard is what we did back in the 1980's.