• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Walk-ins...

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
yup, there are 3 or 4 in this area that got their own solvent printers and are pumping out full wraps installed for under a grand. want the print, but not he install? $500. completely unlaminated with the grainiest ****ty clipart graphics you've ever seen.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For some of you bigger guys, I can understand the need to just not deal with this, but in all honesty, you don't know what's going to come from each and every potential's mouth, until you hear the first few sentences.

Normal sequence in our shop is the introductions of 30 seconds or so.
Then another 30 seconds of small talk to put the customer at ease, so you can interrogate him/her without sounding it.
It generally takes a minute or two until you can really tell what's going to transpire and if the job is worth it or not.
Now is where you must take over the conversation and direct this potential through a series of questions.
Within another minute or two, you should have your answer and then it's up to you to end this waste of time or pursue it as good potential work.

So, in about 5 minutes or so, you've not wasted much time at all..... and in less than 10 minutes you probably have a nice job pending.

You need to set up a few scenarios of how various conversations can take place. Take control of the situation from the start and run whichever scenario seems to be playing out and you won't have wasted but maybe 5 minutes. In most cases, unless you are not managing your time very well, these little breaks in the day can be most rewarding if not getting a job, at least getting some entertainment.:thumb:

HulkSmash

another way to look at it is they went into a professional shop not some dude with a "vinyl cutter" off e-bay in his back shed. we ***** about those people all the time and when they do walk into an actual shop, we still ***** like little girls.

I've never complained about someones uncle with a cutter. Please by all means.. GIVE ALL OF IT TO THEM

S

spmracing

It's about time somebody chimes in with one of those "I did some stripes for a guy while he waited one time....he came back the next week with a $50 million order" posts.

Not to brag.... Did a single bumper sticker for some guy 10 mins after we closed for his daughters birthday... The next week he came back and we wrapped 17 of his work vans..

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
But they can be scary at times....

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• walk ins.jpg
    walk ins.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 105

SurfaceSigns

It seems to me that the easiest solution to this, for those that so despise Walk-in business, would be to make a simple sign that says "Not open to the public". Or, don't have any signage on your place of business at all, so walk in customers wouldn't even know you are there.

But, it's great to know that so many of your businesses are doing so well that you don't need to tolerate walk in's. I remember having this attitude when I was in another business. I had grown it from nothing, and within a few years, we had grown to a company with 25 employees, millions in revenue, and a bit of an attitude towards the walk in business (like the one's here), that, ironically, gave the company it's start.

On March 30th 2000, at 4:26am, my warehouse was broken into, our alarm system dismantled, and over $250,000 worth of equipment disappeared into the night. At the time, I had of $1.2 million in inventory, so while the missing items were noticeable, it was nothing that would have hindered our operations. I had insurance, and figured I would be just fine. What I didn't count on was the power that word of mouth has in an industry. Within days, our "BIG" customers had made other arrangements with very eager competitors, concerned that we would be unable to deliver. Hundreds of thousands of dollars evaporated in the first week. In March 2000, we did almost $300,000 in business, in April 2000, we were less than $40,000.

Insurance found every way they could to limit payouts, and dragged the process on for nearly 6 months. The walk in's that we couldn't be bothered with didn't come around any more, feeling their business wasn't welcome. What I wouldn't have done to have some walk in customers in the months following.

I mention this because all of us (or, almost all of us) started out as a small operation where ANY business was welcomed. Some of us grew, some of us no long need, or want, that business. But, next time you are showing the unwanted walk in customer the door so that you can get back to your $10k+ jobs, ask yourself "What if my big clients disappeared tomorrow, would I still boot this guy out the door?"

\\end rant

Jillbeans

For every 5 wack jobs who walk in, I do get at least 1 good customer. I take the good with the bad and try to act professionally to everyone.
As long as they are not psychic and can read my thoughts, all is well.
I agree that most are tire-kickers.
I kinda give people credit for having the courage to walk in to my shop, which is clearly posted "open by appointment" and not in a typical location.
Love....Jill

PRS Bryan

It seems to me that the easiest solution to this, for those that so despise Walk-in business, would be to make a simple sign that says "Not open to the public". Or, don't have any signage on your place of business at all, so walk in customers wouldn't even know you are there.

But, it's great to know that so many of your businesses are doing so well that you don't need to tolerate walk in's. I remember having this attitude when I was in another business. I had grown it from nothing, and within a few years, we had grown to a company with 25 employees, millions in revenue, and a bit of an attitude towards the walk in business (like the one's here), that, ironically, gave the company it's start.

On March 30th 2000, at 4:26am, my warehouse was broken into, our alarm system dismantled, and over $250,000 worth of equipment disappeared into the night. At the time, I had of $1.2 million in inventory, so while the missing items were noticeable, it was nothing that would have hindered our operations. I had insurance, and figured I would be just fine. What I didn't count on was the power that word of mouth has in an industry. Within days, our "BIG" customers had made other arrangements with very eager competitors, concerned that we would be unable to deliver. Hundreds of thousands of dollars evaporated in the first week. In March 2000, we did almost $300,000 in business, in April 2000, we were less than $40,000.

Insurance found every way they could to limit payouts, and dragged the process on for nearly 6 months. The walk in's that we couldn't be bothered with didn't come around any more, feeling their business wasn't welcome. What I wouldn't have done to have some walk in customers in the months following.

I mention this because all of us (or, almost all of us) started out as a small operation where ANY business was welcomed. Some of us grew, some of us no long need, or want, that business. But, next time you are showing the unwanted walk in customer the door so that you can get back to your $10k+ jobs, ask yourself "What if my big clients disappeared tomorrow, would I still boot this guy out the door?"

\\end rant

Well Said.

copythat

Awesome

Are completely Awful.

Customer: I have and 07 mustang with white racing stripes.. i want to make them real tree camo stripes.. how much?
Me: We're not really setup to do small strips like that.
Customer: Well it's not a rush i can wait, how much?
Me: $575.00
Customer: What if i put your logo small on my back winshield?
Me: Same Price
Customer: WHAT? THIS IS A MUSTANG WITH REAL TREE CAMO STRIPES, EVERYONE WILL BE ASKING WHERE I GOT IT AND I'M GIVING YOU ADVERTISEMENT... IT'LL BRING YOU TONS OF BUSINESS
Me: I don't want you to advertise i do strips, for the love of god.
Customer: Did i mention this is a mustang?????????????????????? ( at this point, I can tell by the way he's talking, he thinks a $21,000 mustang is on the level of a $350k Lamborghini)
Me: uhh yes. Still not interested in doing the work for free.. anything else?
Customer:I CANT BELIEVE THIS, YOU ARE CRAZY.. yells and storms out.

This is why i do only business to business. No race cars.. no stupid camo strips...no dumb 2x4 graduation banners

I've had my front door kicked open, when I chase these types away! I recently moved to a spot with less walk-ins. Not to avoid them, mostly to get more jobs out instead of stopping for the occasional, may I have a clean up after your dog sign.

P.S. I have about 20 made up each year at $15 a pop.

HulkSmash

\\end rant

There comes a point in time, which it seems you understand, where you just can't afford to do them. We all know we can't work for free.

On a 2x4 banner what's that 40 bucks? My minimum is well over that. If i do the job at $40 i lose money. Not that i don't appreciate the smaller jobs, but that's just something we're not setup for. I would literally have to stop one of my machines that is in the middle of printing a job that is a mile long to throw on a banner and print 4 feet. We just can't afford to do it. I always quote it at our minimum, and never get the jobs because some fast signs (no pun) would bid much lower. Which is fine with me.. but my point is i can't find the time to quote 18 jobs a day under our minimum that i would never win.

mark in tx

For about a year now I have been thinking that it might be a good idea to drop the word "Signs" from the business name.
Just change it to something like "High Dollar Graphics".

First words out of my mouth to a customer will always be "1000 dollars", they will have a hissy fit, then I just point to the name of the business.

A man can dream, can't he?

Locals Find!

There comes a point in time, which it seems you understand, where you just can't afford to do them. We all know we can't work for free.

On a 2x4 banner what's that 40 bucks? My minimum is well over that. If i do the job at $40 i lose money. Not that i don't appreciate the smaller jobs, but that's just something we're not setup for. I would literally have to stop one of my machines that is in the middle of printing a job that is a mile long to throw on a banner and print 4 feet. We just can't afford to do it. I always quote it at our minimum, and never get the jobs because some fast signs (no pun) would bid much lower. Which is fine with me.. but my point is i can't find the time to quote 18 jobs a day under our minimum that i would never win.

I gotta say that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard someone say. You don't know how to sub-contract???

Really this what many companies are setup up to do. Take the load off of you on the smaller jobs that you can't do in house for a variety of reasons.

That 2x4 banner to me is a $96 banner job plus a $35 art setup. I can subcontract that job in less than 30 minutes total time including design. Putting some profit in my pocket with little to no effort. Maybe the broker isn't as dumb as everyone thinks.

If your as big as you claim you can't tell me your too big to park a receptionist/artist up front to handle that little stuff for you.

Locals Find!

That is a $40 job most places, how many do you sell at that price?

about 2-3 a week. That is a popular banner size for every new business that opens in town, along with birthdays, sports teams, "For Rent", "Open Houses", etc... I found most people ordering a banner that size don't want to be bothered with shopping around they want to order it and move on.

Those who are shopping on price alone never find me anymore as I don't advertise at all.

TXFB.INS

2x4 here is closer to the $40 amount (no listeing prices in open forum) and includes design, nothing too complex.

and yes jobs like this do not break the stride for the other larger jobs, outsourcing this sort of stuff is a life saver.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I gotta say that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard someone say. You don't know how to sub-contract???

Really this what many companies are setup up to do. Take the load off of you on the smaller jobs that you can't do in house for a variety of reasons.

That 2x4 banner to me is a $96 banner job plus a $35 art setup. I can subcontract that job in less than 30 minutes total time including design. Putting some profit in my pocket with little to no effort. Maybe the broker isn't as dumb as everyone thinks.

If your as big as you claim you can't tell me your too big to park a receptionist/artist up front to handle that little stuff for you.

Evidently, you're not remembering when things were tough and you had to scrape to put cereal on the table for all your kids and you went to work hungry...... huh ??

Stoopidest thing you ever heard ?? You're comparing a well oiled machine to a broken/crushed light bulb. He's running tens of thousands through his shop a week and you think he should stop and take..... let's see, 1/2 times 20 possibles a week ?? That's at least ten hours worth of hundreds of guaranteed jobs an hour vs an extra $2,000 a week. Now, don't do the math on this one Addie or you'll pop a muscle in your head. Let the successful people run their shops successfually and you look after people wanting to put food on the table by taking every scrap job they can muster up..... no matter who does it.

Yeah, someone is going to hire someone, just to try to undersell the cheapest guy in town and make money at it. That's a novel way to handle success. Let's see, I just made $68,000 this week.... think I'll hire someone for $18.00 an hour to sell $90 banners and coffee cups that I'll pay someone else to make. Maybe I'll even get a few 1,000 cards in there to boot. Heck, I might even clear $300 after taxes, overhead and my new receptionists pay check.

And don't be so hard on yourself..... like mentioned earlier.... no one thinks you're dumb, they all already KNOW it. :banghead:

HulkSmash

The stupidest thing you've ever heard? hmmm...That must be why you make in a year what i do in a day..Hey that's what you said. Also $12.00 a Square foot for a banner? Interesting, that must be why you're selling 1 every 3 months. Please show me customers that's going to pay that.. I'd love to meet them. Seriously.

If you think i'm going to outsource a 2x4 banner to make 30 dollars on it after paying for the printer for it, Your. Out. Of. Your. Mind.

Stick to outsourcing your post cards to 4 over...& stay away, far away, from giving any business owners, any type of business advice. thanks.