• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Walk-ins...

I gotta say that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard someone say. You don't know how to sub-contract???

Really this what many companies are setup up to do. Take the load off of you on the smaller jobs that you can't do in house for a variety of reasons.

That 2x4 banner to me is a $96 banner job plus a $35 art setup. I can subcontract that job in less than 30 minutes total time including design. Putting some profit in my pocket with little to no effort. Maybe the broker isn't as dumb as everyone thinks.

If your as big as you claim you can't tell me your too big to park a receptionist/artist up front to handle that little stuff for you.

That's a really provincial attitude to say that what someone thinks or says is stupid, especially considering he has his reasons, and it certainly doesn't make you any more of a genius for pointing it out. It's his business, he can run it however he pleases, and as it would seem he is doing just fine at that. To each their own.

$12 a square foot, eh? We charge a 400% markup from our printer on banners that size and we are WAY under your asking price. Just sayin'.

binki

There comes a point in time, which it seems you understand, where you just can't afford to do them... Not that i don't appreciate the smaller jobs, but that's just something we're not setup for... i can't find the time to quote 18 jobs a day under our minimum that i would never win.

This really is the point. Where did you come from, where are you selling at, where do you want to sell at, and where will you be down the road? We haven't forgotten where we started but at the same time we grow and change or we die. As we grow and change others come in to fill our vacated spot as was done when we started.

SurfaceSigns

There comes a point in time, which it seems you understand, where you just can't afford to do them. We all know we can't work for free.

I completely understand, been there, as mentioned in my post. To me, it's more about how it's handled. Unfortunately, none of us can see the future, so you never know how much business that walk in could be worth. I realize that many of the previous posts are just vents on how those people felt about the customer, but I'd hope that these walk in's are at least respectfully turned away, as opposed to how some have eluded to. The bottom line is, you are a sign shop, and the customer that is looking for some sign work to be done has no idea where to start, so they go to the biggest, for the same reason they'd go to Walmart instead of Peggy's Trading Post for groceries.

One of my biggest accounts was from a walk in that just needed a very last minute banner for a trade show. They just happened to be a rep for one of the big oil companies. I can make a very decent living just servicing that 1 walk-in now.

This really is the point. Where did you come from, where are you selling at, where do you want to sell at, and where will you be down the road? We haven't forgotten where we started but at the same time we grow and change or we die. As we grow and change others come in to fill our vacated spot as was done when we started.

Well said.

visual800

I didnt realize how many duma$$ quoestion they could ask and a waste of time they were till I sat at Pats shop several years ago and watched it for myself....I dont care for people anyway much less those coming in for stoopid crap